Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Holiday Inn for sale

[quote user="spudgfsh"]LDC: I would ask the question as to how much extra the bigger windows could conceivably bring in and compare it to the cost of actually making the changes.

I won''t even pretend to know the answer to either question but I know (having had building work done recently) the cost of making the changes won''t be cheap.[/quote]

I''m no expert on hotel structures but most buildings of this type are simple construction.  You could take the whole wall out without upsetting the basic steel structure, but I would not have thought  a rich hotel chain would have any trouble finding the money to do it.   Bigger windows is not a huge issue.  If  they were to put a walkaway or balconies on the outside that would obviously cost a lot more, but as I say, big money refurbishing of hotels goes on all the time, and this would only be altering the exterior of a few rooms and would not affect the operation of the rest of the hotel.  

It is not like a football club, where priorities lie with the team.  A hotel''s priorities are in attracting clientele, and the cudos of hospitality style rooms would surely help that.  Splash a little money, make a big noise about it and Holiday Inn Norwich City improves its status in the hotel world even more.

Tangible Fixed Assets anyone?I thought there were restrictions on the number of people who could go into one of those bedrooms on a matchday?That could simply be fire regulations.   A walkway/balcony outside with access to ground level would of course sort that out, but in an ideal world a balcony would be what is needed anyway, as well as a larger viewing windows.

LDC wrote: "I''m no expert on hotel structures but most buildings of this type are simple construction. "

Don''t confuse simple construction with ''cheap''. It only means that there is less of a technical challenge in building it and/or modifying it.

Building materials of all kinds are not cheap these days and as soon as you make the changes to the windows you have to make associated changes including but not limited to replastering, repainting and kitting out the rooms to allow for dual use.

I ask the question again, will those changes bring in enough to warrant the outlay (I don''t know for sure but I''m sceptical that it would)

Lets have a look at LDC''s "facts" now shall we?

"the combined ownership is basically pro NCFC" Umm....no. The ownership is 30% NCFC and

theres another holder who have 70%. Where is the idea that they have pro-ncfc ties, and even if they do, why would they put our interests above theirs? That''s the complete antithesis of economics itself!

Same goes for this.

"but as the hotel is effectively controlled by the club anyway, that isn''t a problem"

Which then turns into this! Bleedin'' hell.

"I don''t regard the hotel as being a club facility"

As for buying the hotel and converting some of it into seating, it has been shown again and again that for a couple of seats it is not worth the money.

"From what someone else said on here earlier, on match days there is an extra amount to pay to cover the equivalent of a ticket, most of which I would presume goes to the club. The space to which you refer is massive for one or two emergency vehicles. A tunnel, with easy access is just as good. "

Til adressed this as well, yet again more ruthless speculation with little to no fact in it. You have no sources to back up your claim that the emergency services would be happy with this.

"the hotel to me is a logical area where things could be done at relatively little cost in the scheme of things"

Right...I mean it''ll only cost millions of pounds in exchange for 1,500 seats. FFS.

And now onto him whipping the victim card out and pot meeting the black kettle.

"I don''t really know why I''m answering you as you are so condescending."

Then on the same paragraph...

" I''ve said this to you on several occasions but you don''t seem to get it. "

Oh so THAT isn''t condescending?

As for not being happy about insults.

"I admit to getting riled by a couple of trolls "

Then...

"Well, officer,"

and

"You are really such a twit, BW"

and again...

"ts no surprise that the usual subjects have come out and tried to discredit me - again "

[quote user="spudgfsh"]LDC wrote: "I''m no expert on hotel structures but most buildings of this type are simple construction. "

Don''t confuse simple construction with ''cheap''. It only means that there is less of a technical challenge in building it and/or modifying it.

Building materials of all kinds are not cheap these days and as soon as you make the changes to the windows you have to make associated changes including but not limited to replastering, repainting and kitting out the rooms to allow for dual use.

I ask the question again, will those changes bring in enough to warrant the outlay (I don''t know for sure but I''m sceptical that it would)[/quote]

As the hotel would be footing the bill, I have already explained that the money wouldn''t be an issue - certainly not for the club.   £1 million?  £2 million?  I don''t know.  But £1m or £2m is not big money to a multi-million pound hotel chain.   The cudos they could gain in publicity would outweigh normal budgetry concerns.  

[quote user="spudgfsh"]LDC wrote: "I''m no expert on hotel structures but most buildings of this type are simple construction. "

I ask the question again, will those changes bring in enough to warrant the outlay (I don''t know for sure but I''m sceptical that it would)[/quote]

I''ll rephrase that.As  Kew Green  would be footing the bill, I have already explained that the money wouldn''t be an issue - certainly not for the club.   £1 million?  £2 million?  I don''t know.  But £1m or £2m is not big money to a multi-million pound hotel chain.   The cudos they could gain in publicity would outweigh normal budgetry concerns.  

LDC wrote: "That could simply be fire regulations"

If it IS fire regulations then there is absolutely no way that they would allow more people in the rooms however the rooms were laid out. I doubt the current limitations are for fire regs but to prevent the rooms becoming extra boxes.

[quote user="spudgfsh"]LDC wrote: "That could simply be fire regulations"

If it IS fire regulations then there is absolutely no way that they would allow more people in the rooms however the rooms were laid out. I doubt the current limitations are for fire regs but to prevent the rooms becoming extra boxes.[/quote]

I also said that the way round that is by having the outside balconies having an access to the ground level by fire escape, so the rooms would have french window style doors, going out on to a balcony which would have an escape route, this satisfying fire regs.

"The income from even just one thousand extra seats over ten years would be sufficient to justify an outlay of £7 million. "

"Kew Green would be footing the bill,"

So which is it going to be lake district wizard?

[quote user="lake district canary"]Til.  When people like you start calling people "victims" it is usually because you have no real argument and are resorting to name calling.   You have persistently tried twisting my words throughout this thread to mean something I am not saying, but as that has not worked you just resort to the lowest form of posting - attempt at ridcicule and name calling.   If you think  you are somehow having some effect you are totally mistaken and the more you and BW and City 1st carry on with the kind of posting you have on this thread, the more you lose your own credibility.    Fine, if that is what you want, carry on, if it makes you feel "big",  but any respect you may have amongst the posters on this board dwindles every time you post like this.

Me?  Unlike you,  I have no reputation to protect, no allies to pander to, no coat tails to hang on to, so I post  as I see it  - and you lot can like it or lump it.

[/quote]

And if you don''t like my posts you can also lump it. Your inferences that you have the support of numerous other posters is ridiculous in this crusade of yours so I challenge you to come up with a list of names and also get a grip of the facts you conveniently swerve and ignore to suit your own end . No matter what you think nothing will change with regard to the hotel as back in 2002 it was a means to an end and I would be amazed if altering windows and adding balconies is even on the radar for whoever is responsible for refurbishment.

You note I said whoever so another challenge for you.....e-mail David McNally or Sam Gordon or Alan Bowkett for that matter for the information and it would soon put this thread to bed.

BW you''ve not been following this all with anything useful to say - picking out odd sentences to try and discredit me is a waste of your time and adds nothing to the discussion - and does you no credit.

This thread just gets dafter with every page. [:S]

Even Tom Cavendish with his scatterbrained ideas is finding it hard to keep up with this. [|-)]

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=DkQt6wRGhbU&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DDkQt6wRGhbU

[quote user="lappinitup"]

Even Tom Cavendish with his scatterbrained ideas is finding it hard to keep up with this. [|-)]

[/quote]I think my Judoon anti-gravity device solution[8-|] is looking less and less far-fetched as the pages roll on and on.

"BW you''ve not been following this all with anything useful to say - picking out odd sentences to try and discredit me is a waste of your time and adds nothing to the discussion - and does you no credit."

Translation:

"Woopsie, been caught out again. lalalalalalalalalalalalalala"

Sorry,don''t know how to do links.   A living example of what is possible, yes its different to our situation, but good parallels can be drawn.   http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/united-kingdom/doubletree-by-hilton-hotel-milton-keynes-LTNDTDI/index.html

For all the doubters out there, there are solutions and ways of improving something that we would all agree is a bit of an eyesore.  It would take someone with vision and will power to do it and there obviously plenty of hurdles and cost, planning issues etc etc.    From what I can see and have learned through this, it could be done, with the bulk of the expense falling on the Holiday Inn in refurbishing something to a level up from what they already have.  I''m quite surprised at the opposition this thread has provoked and maybe this isn''t the place where something like this is best discussed, but I''m also disappointed, as the benefits are there for everyone in an improved outlook and a facility for more people to watch matches.Talking of hidden agendas as City 1st likes to do, there are a few on here who''s agenda''s are so hidden up their own backsides, I wouldn''t be surprised if they had forgotten where they''d put them......

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="lappinitup"]

[/quote]I think my Judoon anti-gravity device solution[8-|] is looking less and less far-fetched as the pages roll on and on.[/quote]This gets my vote[Y]

[quote user="lake district canary"]   

The levels that would need altering are 2, 3 and 4, which have a full view of the pitch.   

[/quote]

A couple of questions for you LDC ,firstly. do these rooms have a clear and UNOBSTRUCTED VIEW of ALL the pitch because i think there are pillars on the corners of both the Jarrold and Barclay Stand near the hotel which are a problem and also some of these rooms do not give a view of the corner flag in front of the Snakepit.

Secondly i assume these boxes or hospitality suites whatever you want to call them will be booked as they are now through the hotel website or Holiday Inn central 08... number so will it be a free for all or restricted to home or away fans and who will steward/police these rooms ?

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="lake district canary"]    The levels that would need altering are 2, 3 and 4, which have a full view of the pitch.   [/quote]

A couple of questions for you LDC ,firstly. do these rooms have a clear and UNOBSTRUCTED VIEW of ALL the pitch because i think there are pillars on the corners of both the Jarrold and Barclay Stand near the hotel which are a problem and also some of these rooms do not give a view of the corner flag in front of the Snakepit.Secondly i assume these boxes or hospitality suites whatever you want to call them will be booked as they are now through the hotel website or Holiday Inn central 08... number so will it be a free for all or restricted to home or away fans and who will steward/police these rooms ?[/quote]

I don''t think there is a pillar at the bottom of the Jarold stand.  Certainly is one at the corner of the  Barclay.   If  a wide verandah style walkway was installed, as at MK Dons, people could move about to see around that pillar.   By my reckoning there will be 15 rooms next to the Barclay  (3 rows of 5 rooms)  with perhaps  6 rooms on the diagonal section of the hotel that have an unrestricted view.   When you start a project like this, you know there will be obstacles to overcome - ticketing, pricing, policing etc.  None of these are insurmountable.  Holiday Inn could have an agreement with NCFC about ticketing etc.   I don''t have the answers  and my thinking has changed as I have learned more this week.  But it IS possible and it IS do-able and it would not necessarily mean NCFC having to fork out a huge amount to do it as it would be in the hotel''s interest too and they would have to cover a lot of the cost.

"not necessarily mean NCFC having to fork out a huge amount to do it"So the club are going to pay for alterations to hotel rooms that they do not even ownfor 15 rooms with restricted view !that with the other six could generate at best around another 40 tickets, which you would at best get around £40 on average ... which would generate around £30,000 per season, minus any policing, stewarding costs, admin costsso given that it is unlikely that all games will sellout these rabbit hutches, you are looking at a figure of around £20,000 for a season, which would take around 100 years to recoup the £2m figure you quotedthe club could raise that kind of money by asking every fan attending a game to put 2p in a collecting box !

ps even Geoff Huhne knew when to quit

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"]Great ideas LDC, all of those are totally possible[Y][/quote]

I''m speechless!

[/quote]Well that worked a treat then[Y]It was actually a freudian slip and I meant "You are an Olympic grade buerk and have dug a hotel sized hole for yourself"

[quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"]Great ideas LDC, all of those are totally possible[Y][/quote]I''m speechless![/quote]Well that worked a treat then[Y]It was actually a freudian slip and I meant "You are an Olympic grade buerk and have dug a hotel sized hole for yourself"[/quote]

Yeah I kind of thought as much.   There is ho hole.  If anyone has bothered to really follow the thread, in amongst all the trolling, they would see there is some sense in it.   The usual suspects have done their best to derail it, but actually I don''t give a stuff.    There have been enough people showing genuine interest throughout that I know the effort hasn''t been wasted.   

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"]Great ideas LDC, all of those are totally possible[Y][/quote]I''m speechless![/quote]Well that worked a treat then[Y]It was actually a freudian slip and I meant "You are an Olympic grade buerk and have dug a hotel sized hole for yourself"[/quote]

Yeah I kind of thought as much.   There is ho hole.  If anyone has bothered to really follow the thread, in amongst all the trolling, they would see there is some sense in it.   The usual suspects have done their best to derail it, but actually I don''t give a stuff.    There have been enough people showing genuine interest throughout that I know the effort hasn''t been wasted.   

[/quote]You crack on mate, you''re not making yourself look daft at all[Y]

[quote user="City1st"]"not necessarily mean NCFC having to fork out a huge amount to do it"So the club are going to pay for alterations to hotel rooms that they do not even own.  for 15 rooms with restricted view ! that with the other six could generate at best around another 40 tickets, which you would at best get around £40 on average ... which would generate around £30,000 per season, minus any policing, stewarding costs, admin costs. so given that it is unlikely that all games will sellout these rabbit hutches, you are looking at a figure of around £20,000 for a season, which would take around 100 years to recoup the £2m figure you quoted .the club could raise that kind of money by asking every fan attending a game to put 2p in a collecting box ! ps even Geoff Huhne knew when to quit[/quote]

Misunderstanding and misrepresenting what I put again, City 1st. What a surprise.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

Misunderstanding and misrepresenting what I put again, City 1st. What a surprise.

[/quote]errr, nosomeone will have to pay for this nonsensenonsense which will generate around £20,000 a yearthe rest is self explanatory

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="City1st"]perhaps it is no more than his previous wish to have threads with the most number of repliesunfortunately I don''t think he factored in the possibility of being exposed so soonyou need another alias, wiz[/quote]I may have come to this thread a bit late but if LDC is anyone at all he can only be Tom Cavendish.[/quote]

Why do I have to be anyone else?    I can certainly understand how Tom Cavendish might feel, after this week.   At least I''m not suggesting some completely over the top  idea like moving the stadium, but Tom has put input on here which is relevant too and credit to him for that.   Most of the sense in this thread has been from others who actually read posts properly.   Sadly, the real message gets lost amongst the cr*p from the usual suspects.