Sign in to follow this  
Foghorn

Interesting dilema for one of our Premiership rivals......

[quote user="First acolyte the east coast role model"]Oh shut up you complete tit.[/quote]

If a man still prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall say to him, "You shall not live, because you have spoken a lie in the name of the Lord." When he prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall thrust him through!

Watch your mouth! You would do well to observe with reverence the grace of god on this most holy day! Blessed are the peacemakers and not the aggressive idiots such as yourself!

Can I add to my post that while anyone has a right to their religious beliefs, they do not have a right to try and force those beliefs on others?

Not that "Graham" is in any way sincere.

[quote user="Alan_Grey"]Can I add to my post that while anyone has a right to their religious beliefs, they do not have a right to try and force those beliefs on others?

Not that "Graham" is in any way sincere.[/quote]

Alan I am not forcing beliefs upon anyone, I am simply pointing out what is right and good. Should you not be in church on this day as your ancestors surely were? Or are you better than them? Judgement will be served, I am simply trying to help you.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

As a lifelong agnostic I am pretty neutral on this.

However religion in itself is harmless - to me they all espouse basically the same message.

Where there are problems with religion it is solely down to the human condition being applied to them.    There are not muslim or christian terrorists/extremists,  merely psychopaths how have a distorted perception of reality and perpertrate acts of hatred and/or violence in the name of a religion.   The some preachers provide an influential voice of hate is not religion acting,  but the human owner of that voice. 

Murders and hate crimes are perpetrated by religious followers and those with no religious belief - it is not religion that is flawed,  but man.

For those who have faith that provides succour without impacting their fellow human beings I am happy for them for the strength it provides - I respect my friends with no religious affiliation just as much.   If the act of charging extreme interest offends Cisse beliefs I respect his stance - but it remains simply his boundary compared to virgin or northern rock.    

There are christians,  muslims, jedians, agnostics & atheists etc in both my friends and enemies.   The human condition to hate is at the heart of this - not the religion itself 

[/quote]

Have to agree with this.  Religions are just different  ways for different people to explain something that is unexplainable.    No religion is all right and no religion is all wrong.   What is wrong is people''s insecurity about themselves which increases when groups of insecure people get together (witness Carrow Road against Villa [:S] ).    In religions that insecurity is taken advantage by people who want control and power over others.   Extreme factions exist in all religions and it is everyone''s responsibility within a religion to be aware of those that are just trying to gain control over them.  Underneath, we are all the same and I know plenty of people who are spiritually aware and good people and who are not affiliated to a particular religion.  Religion can be its own worst enemy.    In a good way religion can be the  best way for people to gain spirituality, in a bad way it leads to hatred and lack of spirituality.

[quote user="First acolyte the east coast role model"]  My thoughts are that all the "Holy books" are man-made and contains several flaws and are not a textbook for moral guidance. I don''t care if I insult your book, maybe if you did some proper reading into it you''d see what I mean. I swear most Christians treat the bible like the terms and conditions on a website, nobody reads it, they just scroll to the bottom and click yes.[/quote]

You seem to have misunderstood my post. I did not state that I was a Christian, and I have done plenty of reading thank you.

You stated that all Religions were equal in terms of intolerance. You then went on to state that the Bible was a load of crap. I just wondered, in this land of free speech, and living in an equal and tolerant society what were your views on the other Holy Books? Being a man of learning and reading you surely must have delved into the Tanakh, the various Hindu Scriptures, the Koran? Don''t hold back now....

Just getting back on topic here, but why was no-one saying any of this when Blackpool were sponsored by them?

It''s another bandwagon rolling through for people to jump on. I can''t see Newcastle cancelling any contract they have with Wonga, Mike Ashley sold the naming rights of the stadium to himself without consulting the fans, why would he do it now?

Mr Chops, I have taken the liberty of altering your post a tad

The basis of the PINKUN is probably fine and (INSERT POSTER''S NAME) IS probably quite a cool guy in a live and let live kind of way.  The problem is that a long while after he POSTED, other people decided to write down their versions of what they think he meant to say (or indeed what he should have said) and then used it as a method of social control and a device to start wars with.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

As a lifelong agnostic I am pretty neutral on this.

However religion in itself is harmless - to me they all espouse basically the same message.

Where there are problems with religion it is solely down to the human condition being applied to them.    There are not muslim or christian terrorists/extremists,  merely psychopaths how have a distorted perception of reality and perpertrate acts of hatred and/or violence in the name of a religion.   The some preachers provide an influential voice of hate is not religion acting,  but the human owner of that voice. 

Murders and hate crimes are perpetrated by religious followers and those with no religious belief - it is not religion that is flawed,  but man.

For those who have faith that provides succour without impacting their fellow human beings I am happy for them for the strength it provides - I respect my friends with no religious affiliation just as much.   If the act of charging extreme interest offends Cisse beliefs I respect his stance - but it remains simply his boundary compared to virgin or northern rock.    

There are christians,  muslims, jedians, agnostics & atheists etc in both my friends and enemies.   The human condition to hate is at the heart of this - not the religion itself 

[/quote]

Have to agree with this.  Religions are just different  ways for different people to explain something that is unexplainable.    No religion is all right and no religion is all wrong.   What is wrong is people''s insecurity about themselves which increases when groups of insecure people get together (witness Carrow Road against Villa [:S] ).    In religions that insecurity is taken advantage by people who want control and power over others.   Extreme factions exist in all religions and it is everyone''s responsibility within a religion to be aware of those that are just trying to gain control over them.  Underneath, we are all the same and I know plenty of people who are spiritually aware and good people and who are not affiliated to a particular religion.  Religion can be its own worst enemy.    In a good way religion can be the  best way for people to gain spirituality, in a bad way it leads to hatred and lack of spirituality.

[/quote]As Morty would say: "tl;dr" [:D]

[quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

If I thought for one instant that was true that really would be depressing beyond words.

As an atheist I find it staggering how intolerant some

religious people are of other beliefs. Have a read of some of Graham’s comments

– some are almost stomach churning.   Then those trapped inside will have to eat

their own sons and daughters and friends. They will be driven to utter despair”

Comments like this are designed to scare people into

following a belief because religion can’t stand up to logical scrutiny. Sorry

Graham but this sort of stuff doesn’t work any longer. People aren’t scared of the

vengeful god you and your sort have made up to gain power and influence that

you don’t deserve.

There''s a passage I got memorized, seems appropriate for this situation:
                         Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides
                         by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.  Blessed is
                         he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through
                         the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother''s keeper and the
                         finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great
                         vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my
                         brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance
                         upon you."

But seriously, it is correct about Sharia law and payment of interest......however, there are ways round most things and one is by calling it "profit", I dont know the detail but that certainly happens......you have a credit card and pay "profit" and not "interest"

Luke 6.31Do to others as you would have them do to you.A little bit of that on this message board wouldn''t go amiss.The above is a pretty universal theme through most religions, fundamentalist "if you don''t believe in XYZ then you''re going to Hell/version of Hell" notwithstanding.

question for graham.

if you lived your life as a good man why would god(if he exists) care one hoot about what religion u follow.?

i also enjoyed pullmans The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ,

At last a good/interesting thread, very impressed with First acolyte on his/her stance on the issue at hand, btw where did my Woolwich thread go? answers on a postcard.

"If two men are having a fight and the wife of one tries to help her husband by grabbing hold of the other man''s genitals .."  Deuteronomy 25:11

mind you she might be a bit disappointed if .........

"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses.Ezekiel 23:20

Not sure why this book should feel the need to give advice about this sort of thing - but then it is a pile of old bollo at the best of times