Sign in to follow this  
blahblahblah

Interesting Article - 50 quid off the average ticket ? How ?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/jun/09/premier-league-fans-sean-ingle

Well, just live according to your previous means according to Sean Ingle...

I went to the London Regional Meeting that The Spirit of Shankly held 3 or 4 weeks ago to find out a little more about their campaign, and also the FSFs Twenty is Plenty initiative.  The Spirit of Shankly argument is based upon the increase in TV revenue.  Their logic is clubs can use this money to reduce the price of tickets instead of investment into playing squads etc.  The average price of an away ticket for the likes of Liverpool (going to be a "Grade A", "Platinum", etc. game everywhere) is now around £60 and using the increase in TV money to subsidies tickets would bring this down to nearer £5-10.  Obviously this is never going to happen, but these figures get people talking.The FSFs Twenty is Plenty for away tickets is something that is more likely to work, but again I believe the model is flawed since I personally feel that £20 is a little too cheep for Premier League football.  A fixed price structure of say £30 in the Premier League, £25 Championship, £20 League One and £15 League Two could work, but I raised concerns about home fans attempting to purchase away tickets and (allegedly), I was the first person to believe this could be an issue!All clubs talk about how important gates receipts are, and in the lower divisions they certainly do have a case, but for Norwich City next year we''ll probably be looking at around £10 million generated from ticket sales.  Compare this to £60+ million from the improved TV deal it''s now a relatively small part of the total income.Finally, after all of the above, I must say I''m totally happy with the cost of my NCFC season ticket, however I do feel the price of both casual tickets at Carrow Road and the cost of away tickets at certain grounds is getting too expensive.

i have thought for some time now that if/when we increase our ground capacity the cost of admission should be reduced to entice new fans to matches. there are many who would love to attend and support the Canaries, but for financial reasons are just unable to. reducing prices would help generate a new fan base and also make sure that the ground is full most match days.

[quote user="star_manic"]i have thought for some time now that if/when we increase our ground capacity the cost of admission should be reduced to entice new fans to matches. there are many who would love to attend and support the Canaries, but for financial reasons are just unable to. reducing prices would help generate a new fan base and also make sure that the ground is full most match days.[/quote]

There is the rub as it''s accepted to stimulate more demand City would have to reduce the prices, and as current prices would come nowhere near covering the cost of any building the question is how far down the line can you lumber the club with high debt ?As we sellout, as do those games where there''s this call to lower prices, it is a simple case of supply and demand. Clubs will charge (as does every other business) what the market will bear.As to a new fan base that is a myth. Fans will turn up according to price and success. i don''t doubt Poorman Road would ebe full were they to be in the PL, so where would that extra 14,000 come from ? New fan base ?

McNally has always said if the ground size is increased then the ticket price will be reduced. At the end of the day it is all about being competitive. It''s no good ploughing money into supporters ticket reductions, only to get relegated and lose those fans and end up with a half empty ground.

Obviously that''s a bit of an exaggeration, but from a business sense it makes a lot more sense to invest that money in the playing squad, and facilities to attract high calibre players when the ground is still selling out nearly every game. We have a fantastic fan base here, and the response of season ticket renewals suggests fans at least accept the price of Premier League football.

Sadly you''ve got to play the same ball-game as the best to be competitive with them.

Money, money, money.

One way to counter longer term debt is by selling longer term season tickets.

I know this sounds silly, but if the had, say, 1000 five year season tickets - they could recoup that money now and offset it against the cost of the build. (1000 is just a figure plucked out of my head).

I do think any extensive building work is probably pretty far away now but it wouldn''t surprise me if they are squirreling away money to do this at some point.

If they do go with it I suspect that they will also launch a few ways of getting more money in to help with it such as the named bricks, maybe some commercial spaces to lease out to companies, sponsor for the stand etc.

Like I say, they will at least have the benefit of being able to up the number of season tickets. Again they could do this well in advance, they have a list and if they were to increase the season ticket capacity by a couple of thousand then as soon as the plans went in they could be contacting people now to pay now for a season ticket in the 2014-15 season for example.

It will happen when it happens. Premiership survival is part and parcel of it mind you.

[quote user="chicken"]One way to counter longer term debt is by selling longer term season tickets.

I know this sounds silly, but if the had, say, 1000 five year season tickets - they could recoup that money now and offset it against the cost of the build. (1000 is just a figure plucked out of my head).

I do think any extensive building work is probably pretty far away now but it wouldn''t surprise me if they are squirreling away money to do this at some point.

If they do go with it I suspect that they will also launch a few ways of getting more money in to help with it such as the named bricks, maybe some commercial spaces to lease out to companies, sponsor for the stand etc.

Like I say, they will at least have the benefit of being able to up the number of season tickets. Again they could do this well in advance, they have a list and if they were to increase the season ticket capacity by a couple of thousand then as soon as the plans went in they could be contacting people now to pay now for a season ticket in the 2014-15 season for example.

It will happen when it happens. Premiership survival is part and parcel of it mind you.[/quote]Problem is chicken all you are doing is robbing Peter to pay Paul, which is not where the problem lies.On

a purely financial basis I''m sure the club could cover the extra money

needed to fund ground development so it would not need money brought

forward from future ticket sales - in fact it would pose a massive

liability further down the line. The problem is we don''t know where we

will be during the lifetime of the loan and past events have shown how

crippling debt can be.There is also the little matter of where the club is going to put the 4000 very influential souls who sit in the Main Stand whilst the works is carried out - presuming that would be where redevelopment would take place. Perhaps we could set up a registry of all those current season ticket holders who demand a new stand now to show their commitment to their demands and give up their seat whilst the ground is being redeveloped.