Sign in to follow this  
cornish sam

payscale

I don''t know if this has been posted elsewhere, but there''s an interesting article here comparing wages across various different sports

.http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2013/06/11/revealed-man-city-rise-to-top-of-global-pay-charts-dodgers-soar-to-challenge-110601/

Unsurprisingly man city are top, but, according to this our average sallery was the lowest in the EPL! Now as Bolton are included in this I''d assume that its taken from 11/12 season but with the signings made since then it can''t have changed that much. Of particular note , worldwide we came iin at 175 with an average of 19,434pw; QPR however were 91 (32.5k pw) but newcastle , Sunderland and villa were 75, 73 and 61 respectively, with the first two almost doubling our average (35k and 36k) whilst villa blew it out of the water with 41k!

Its interesting seeing how we stack up against either leagues, for example our average in first season back in the epl was only just lower than hoffenheim''s and they''re an established top end bundesliga side...

[quote user="cornish sam"]I don''t know if this has been posted elsewhere, but there''s an interesting article here comparing wages across various different sports

.http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2013/06/11/revealed-man-city-rise-to-top-of-global-pay-charts-dodgers-soar-to-challenge-110601/

Unsurprisingly man city are top, but, according to this our average sallery was the lowest in the EPL! Now as Bolton are included in this I''d assume that its taken from 11/12 season but with the signings made since then it can''t have changed that much. Of particular note , worldwide we came iin at 175 with an average of 19,434pw; QPR however were 91 (32.5k pw) but newcastle , Sunderland and villa were 75, 73 and 61 respectively, with the first two almost doubling our average (35k and 36k) whilst villa blew it out of the water with 41k!

Its interesting seeing how we stack up against either leagues, for example our average in first season back in the epl was only just lower than hoffenheim''s and they''re an established top end bundesliga side...[/quote]

I think it proves the point that money isn''t everything in football.  Of course the richer clubs should do better and there will be a general situation where the more money you have the better league position you will have, but it isn''t cast in stone.  Within that there will be teams that have money and do worse and teams that  don''t have so much money that do better.    We are one of the clubs that do better and that is testament to the way the club is being run and the personel in charge of running the team.    As long as we stay true to our principles and don''t get sucked in to  thinking that money is  everything, we will keep doing well.    If we start overstretching the budget, or getting players in with the mistaken view that because we are spending a lot of money we will do well, we will start to lose the plot.   You only have to look at some clubs who have done that and see where they are now to see this is correct.  QPR for one.   

We may never get to the top of the league, but I think we are going to carry on surprising people with the progress we are making, gradually increasing our success and spending power over a few years.    But we will only do that if we stick to our guns and don''t sell out to a rich benefactor. I fear that once that happens the hard earned progress we have made up to now, will be lost and we will end up with the wrong type of players, start to struggle, people would get fed up because we weren''t achieving enough even though "money was no object". 

As in life, money helps, but it isn''t everything.

LDC, I agree with the sentiment behind your post and most of what you say but would interpret some parts slightly differently. To me the biggest single determinant of success is money - it seems quite strongly correlated, however, as you say, it is not everything. Interesting to see that we were below Wigan, which puts things in perspective.

IMO, it should help frame our expectations in the medium term.

[quote user=" Badger"]LDC, I agree with the sentiment behind your post and most of what you say but would interpret some parts slightly differently. To me the biggest single determinant of success is money - it seems quite strongly correlated, however, as you say, it is not everything. Interesting to see that we were below Wigan, which puts things in perspective.

IMO, it should help frame our expectations in the medium term.[/quote]

I suppose it all depends on how you define success.   Money undoubtedly helps,  but having a squad of players fans can relate to, a set up that is geared to principles of hard work, team spirit and togetherness is more important.    Big money players know they are commodities and can go to the highest bidder and that will always be at the top of most of their agendas.   QPR and other teams who are now languishing in the lower leagues having tried to spend their way to success are not going to come back in a hurry imo.   They have lost the character of their clubs and money has taken over.   We, thank goodness, seem to be one of the few clubs that have kept the club on an even keel through a mixture of luck and judgement.  Having got to the position we are in both on and off the field, we should be very careful not to go down the spend spend spend route.   We are not doing too badly and the players Hughton gets seem to fit the way the club is run, so all is good for us on that front.  

We would all like a little more money, but success needs more than just money.  Ask ''Arry !