Sign in to follow this  
ABC (A Basingstoke Canary)

Question for the HOBNOBS

One of the recurring complaints levelled at CH last season was his perceived preponderance to "big up" the opposition.

Many could not understand the logic behind that "courtesy".

Well, reading his comments on the offiicial site, do you think he''s trying to "big up" Brighton for a pre-season game?

"Brighton have a fantastic new ground which I am pleased our fans will now get the opportunity to go and see us play in. More importantly though they are a quality opposition".

Maybe, just maybe, this approach of his may have been misinterpreted by some folk?

Whilst I see what you''re trying to say, was there any real need to stir all this up again?

He is just one of lifes nice guys, and he likes to come across that way in all media coverage, it''s just who he is, and I truly believe he is just simply being ''respectful''. Its only some who don''t like it, I have no problem with it, as i''m 100% sure he says something very different to the players on match day.

All managers do the ''respectful'' thing in the build up to a match - put it his way, I don''t recall ever seeing one slagging a side/manager off. I think Hughton is just a bit more ''long winded'' in his comments sometimes. That''s just the way he is.

As to the thread, it may be going over old stuff, but better this than some of the other weird threads on here tonight!

I am very much a Chris Hughton supporter and think that we came out of the whole Lambert fiasco smelling of roses.

There were some awful candidates being touted, but McNally had targeted his man and went about it with the same determination that he had shown when ditching BG and getting Lambert in.

Everything was done above board and fairly and this is emphasised by the fact that there appears to be no resentment from Birmingham City fans at having lost their man. Compare this with the constant anti-Villa threads on this forum. 

Criticism of Hughton''s perceived overmuch respect for the opposition is nit-picking IMO, I would rather concentrate on the quietly efficient way he finally, and against quite a few of the odds, led us to that all important third season amongst the elite. Criticism of his alleged over-cautious substitution policy is invalid IMO and is over-emphasised by being compared to Lambert''s policy of throwing caution to the wind and sometimes getting it to come off.

I''ve spent many a moment screaming at my screen for effing Hughton to bring so and so on. What football fan doesn''t know better than a manager in the heat of the game?

We are lucky to have landed this man as manager and if this Toivenen deal comes off, then he is continuing to exhibit a certain nous in the transfer market. Hughton seems well versed in the World of football. 

I am happy being a happy clapper atm, but no more performances like those against Stoke or Wigan  please. 

Well done Hughton, just when I thought you were turning things around you fu*k it up again. Stop belittling us!

The reason some fans don''t like the way Hughton is, is because he shows respect to other people.   Plainly, those fans, or the ones on here, anyway, don''t understand how to show respect.    It is beyond their comprehension.    They think that showing respect to other people is somehow sissy or weak, because they live their lives in a curious world where to be unpleasant about others or to belittle other people, is normal.  

I don''t like to describe Hughton as being "nice"either, as that too is a description that to some people is derogatory.     He is simply an example to all of us on how to treat other people.    Give other people respect, regardless of who they are or where they come from,  that is what he does - or another way of putting it is "treat other people as you would have them treat you".    If you run others down, or are negative and spiteful about them and you are only encouraging the same thing to come back at you (that applies to this board as well as to a football manager).  

Hughton is simply a class act and those that don''t like what he is and the way he says things need to have a good look at themselves and ask themselves why they think like that.

[quote user="lake district canary"]The reason some fans don''t like the way Hughton is, is because he shows respect to other people.   Plainly, those fans, or the ones on here, anyway, don''t understand how to show respect.    It is beyond their comprehension.    They think that showing respect to other people is somehow sissy or weak, because they live their lives in a curious world where to be unpleasant about others or to belittle other people, is normal.  

I don''t like to describe Hughton as being "nice"either, as that too is a description that to some people is derogatory.     He is simply an example to all of us on how to treat other people.    Give other people respect, regardless of who they are or where they come from,  that is what he does - or another way of putting it is "treat other people as you would have them treat you".    If you run others down, or are negative and spiteful about them and you are only encouraging the same thing to come back at you (that applies to this board as well as to a football manager).  

Hughton is simply a class act and those that don''t like what he is and the way he says things need to have a good look at themselves and ask themselves why they think like that.

[/quote]

Very well put, LDC.

I do not go along with this argument that bigging up the opposition or showing respect is bad psychology.
There is another way of looking at it. We need to remember that we are in a division where any team can beat another on their day and that all teams are good outfits - they would not be in the division otherwise. So by pointing out that the coming game is against tough opposition is not only true but it enables a win to be celebrated and the bounce effect in the changing room to be enjoyed in the days after.
Should the game end in defeat then the result can be ridden by we were beaten by a good side, we have not suddenly become a bad team and lets look forward to giving it a go in the next game. If of course it is a really bad one, like Luton, then you have to hold your hands up - which Hoots and the players interviewed did.
Contrast this with Hoots going to the press conference and saying yes we really should beat XFC and if we can not beat this lot we really will have dropped a bullock. Not only does it heap pressure on the team but defeat would also be much harder to ride.
I expect the club uses sports psychologists so Hoots does not need to perform this role in press conferences. Also I would expect the club to have a clear media strategy for these situations which Hoots is following. Lambert used to say pretty much the same thing but we never picked him up on it.

Hughton''s just being respectful............so.................nothing to see here.

[quote user="Sussexyellow"]ABC - what does HOBNOBS stand for.

I guess it is Hughton Out Brigade but can not get the rest of it.

[/quote]

The NOBS speaks for itself :), don''t believe that bit actually stands for anything 

He doesn''t praise the opposition more than any other manager in professional football.

Was just a ridiculous argument by the moronic element of our fanbase. Lambert was far more generous towards the oppositions chances than Hughton is and Lamberts motto was "if you can''t win a game, make sure you don''t lose it"...... Imagine the uproar if Hughton came out with that from the morons