Sign in to follow this  
FramCanary

Vitesse accept 8.5M bid for Van Ginkel

Oh well at least he can''t hurt us (or anyone else in the EPL) playing in the U21 Elite League and Chelsea''s various cup games.

"The Premier League is a very good league, I think every young player wants to play there," van Ginkel told Sky Sports News Radio.

"I know what people want to hear, but I''m not going to say anything about that now.

"I have to focus on this tournament. After that, I will think about my future - not now."

It would be interesting to know if we were ever seriously interested in him I suppose we will never know. This would have been a stand out signing if we had managed to pull it off, which clearly it appears we have been unable to do. We never could or will be able to compete with clubs like Chelsea. This does tend to indicate that the quality of our potential targets is significantly higher than a season or so ago  but hits a block when they are of potential that interests top clubs even as part of a development stage

Never say never, Yorkshire. Word is that if he does sign for Chelsea he will be loaned straight back to Vitesse or treated like the rest of their youngsters and have to fight it out in the under-21s and Cup games. At a Club like ours or similar he would be guaranteed a reasonable amount of first team action in the league. There are a lot of players like RVW who realise this fact and if we managed to secure the services of another biggish name (like Toivonen) you just never know.

Marc Overmars said that Ajax tried to sign Van Ginkel but they couldn''t compete with Chelsea,  even if he doesn''t want to take the chance at Chelsea I think there would be a very long list of other clubs interested who could offer him first team football.

For what it is worth, I think he''ll get a good amount of games at Chelsea next season. He''ll probably play a deeper role than he did at Vitesse but with John Obi Mikel likely to leave and Lampard aging Chelsea need a new central midfielder or two. In his press conference Jose said he wants to focus on youth at Chelsea so Van Ginkel might be just part of that new beginning.

Whilst Norwich are becoming a much more attractive option for players, Toivonen comments about not even knowing who the club are is an indication that we still haven''t made a great impact in the minds of many players.

The longer we stay in the EPL then the better our exposure will be. Last season our football may not have been the best but wins against Man Utd, Man City,Arsenal and Everton will have caught the imagination of a lot of people on the continent who regularly watch premiership games.