Sign in to follow this  
Ken Aries

How Come West Ham Have £20 Million To Spend?

Saw this in a tabloid this week and could only view it with extreme envy. Apparently the Hammers are £24 million in debt but are still looking to spend about £20 million to try to stay in the premiership. It doesnt add up does it? We were "only" about £18 million in the red and yet we could only afford to spend about £6 million on players.

Is it a case of our board being too cautious, or prudent, or whatever you want to call it, or are West Ham being reckless and imprudent? Finally, in a similar vein, I believe Preston were considering lavish spending plans, if they''d been promoted. They had several million pounds ear-marked for team strengthening and to build a new stand.

Because ,just like a lot of other clubs they''re spending money they havn''t got.

[quote]Because ,just like a lot of other clubs they''re spending money they havn''t got.[/quote]

Exactly right nolegs.  Also, West Ham think they are a massive club.  If they don''t spend big their fickle fans will hit the roof.  Of course, they are going to look bloody stupid if they go down with exactly the same financial problems as before!  Don''t clubs ever learn?

"Don''t clubs ever learn?"

Apparantly not DD... I think part of the problem seems to be that for all the Bradfords of the world, there are also the ******s - swindling their way out of administration and somehow getting away with it!

And, as stated, West Ham think they are a "big club", its total arrogance, but unfortunately doesn''t seem to spell the end for them! Much as I love football and would hate any club to go out of business completely, I''d still love the likes of the Hammers and Wolves to go through the same major problems that Leicester and Leeds did, simply to wipe the smug smiles off their faces for five minutes and give them a sense of perspective.  The latter two seem to have learnt their lessons...

[quote]Because ,just like a lot of other clubs they''re spending money they havn''t got.[/quote]

i think we have another leeds or ippo on our hands. IF they come down, they are in trouble arnt they! They must be expecting to stay up.

In yesterdays Mirror there was an article about a special bet on offer from Sporting Index where you guess how much you think each premiership team spends. The odds lengthen either side of their own predictions which are obvioulsy sourced from experts and insiders. Bookies don''t get it wrong very often and they had West Ham down as spending £7.6m not £50m!Here''s the list:1. Chelski £39.2m2. Arsenal 24.53. Manure 19.44. Boro 19.35. Liverpool 18.56. Newcastle 18.37. Everton 15.88. Spurs 14.39. Birmingham 12.810. Villa 12.511. Man City 9.712. Wigan 9.6 13. Sunderland 8.414. Blackburn 8.315. Bolton 8.016. Pompey 8.017. West Ham 7.618 Charlton 7.319. West Brom 6.820. Fulham 6.3

The majority of football clubs are run by complete idiots who gamble the very existence of their clubs by over-borrowing to try and retain a higher status (i.e. Premiership survival). When it all goes wrong, it is local businesses that suffer and THE FANS who bail them out. How many clubs have been saved by fans digging ever deeper in their own pockets?

Norwich are one of the very few well run clubs IMO, and while it may be frustrating to not have big money to spend (especially last season) the survival of the club is the most important thing, not which league we play in.