Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Ink

Praise the Board

Credit to the board if they pull off the Toivonen signing. Excellent price for exactly the kind of player we need! Very unexpected as well.

What a great time to be a city fan. I for one are happy sitting back watching the news and rumours roll in, safely knowing McNally and Hughton have everything under good control. Not all the new signings will prove to be the Messiahs we hope for, and there will be disappointments along our yellow brick road, but as long the team is improving we should be able to push on to the next level, and relax a little more about the relegation threat next season.

There''s a very good feeling around at the moment with minimal discontent. Praise to the Board for the directions there are taking!

Here, here!! Couldn''t agree more!

I do sometimes worry about the time it takes foreign players to adapt to the Prem however. Some can like a duck to water, but many struggle. My main concern would be bringing in too many overseas players in 1 window and the problems that could cause. Looking at the class of the players we are being linked to though, I really don''t think it''ll be a problem.

Gone are the days I could pronounce all our players names [:)]

He reminds me a lot of Michu in the fact he plays as an advanced midfield or striker and he has a very similar build and goal record. Could be a very good signing.

though it still begs the question of where might we be now if we had been able (or had the need) to have one of those ''hinvestors''

Governance question - is it really "Praise the Board"?McNally is answerable to the board, of course, but aren''t they just the checking mechanism to ensure he doesn''t run the club entirely his way?If we are praising the Board then it is only for prudently overseeing the Executive''s actions.  "The board" aren''t signing Toivonen, just signing off the proposal.Or should we start a "Praise the Board" thread every time the team wins a game, a player passes a medical, the CEO agrees to sign a player?*

*Not as daft as it sounds given we had "Sack the Board!" threads every time the team lost a game etc etc.

"of course, but aren''t they just the checking mechanism to ensure he doesn''t run the club entirely his way?"

so ''they'' are non executive directors ?

[quote user="City1st"]"of course, but aren''t they just the checking mechanism to ensure he doesn''t run the club entirely his way?"

[/quote]I''d imagine some are and some aren''t.  Do you know?

There''s no doubt that it is MacNally and Hughton who are doing the business with some good help from Bowkett. With their nous and wide contacts throughout football and great salesmanship I think they have few equals in other clubs. They have already brought in some excellent players.. I am confident they will take Norwich City a long way forward - we must hang on to them.

[quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"]Governance question - is it really "Praise the Board"?McNally is answerable to the board, of course, but aren''t they just the checking mechanism to ensure he doesn''t run the club entirely his way?If we are praising the Board then it is only for prudently overseeing the Executive''s actions.  "The board" aren''t signing Toivonen, just signing off the proposal.Or should we start a "Praise the Board" thread every time the team wins a game, a player passes a medical, the CEO agrees to sign a player?*

*Not as daft as it sounds given we had "Sack the Board!" threads every time the team lost a game etc etc.[/quote]

It depends what level of decision-making you''re talking about, Chops. Unless McNally has been granted powers unique in English football then he is not the person who decides the big-picture budget stuff. He and Sam Gordon, the finance director, and Bowkett may well make a recommendation. But ultimately it is the board, and particularly the owners, who will approve or disapprove.Not just because it is their money, but they have a duty on behalf of the shareholders and the staff to ensure that stupid Portsmouth-style (to name one of many clubs) decisions are not taken. For example one key indicator is wages as a percentage of turnover. You can be sure that the board will have that very much in mind when they look at the proposed overall budget and the player budget in particular.Once settled I imagine McNally does then have a fair bit of leeway to allocate the player budget as he thinks best, depending on Hughton''s list of targets, wage demands etc. But juggling within the overall sum agreed. We are a medium-sized club owned by paupers and we cannot just throw money we can''t afford to spend at a problem.

[quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"][quote user="City1st"]"of course, but aren''t they just the checking mechanism to ensure he doesn''t run the club entirely his way?"

[/quote]I''d imagine some are and some aren''t.  Do you know?[/quote]

errr, it''s not me claiming they are " just the checking mechanism"

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"]Governance question - is it really "Praise the Board"?McNally is answerable to the board, of course, but aren''t they just the checking mechanism to ensure he doesn''t run the club entirely his way?If we are praising the Board then it is only for prudently overseeing the Executive''s actions.  "The board" aren''t signing Toivonen, just signing off the proposal.Or should we start a "Praise the Board" thread every time the team wins a game, a player passes a medical, the CEO agrees to sign a player?*

*Not as daft as it sounds given we had "Sack the Board!" threads every time the team lost a game etc etc.[/quote]

It depends what level of decision-making you''re talking about, Chops. Unless McNally has been granted powers unique in English football then he is not the person who decides the big-picture budget stuff. He and Sam Gordon, the finance director, and Bowkett may well make a recommendation. But ultimately it is the board, and particularly the owners, who will approve or disapprove.Not just because it is their money, but they have a duty on behalf of the shareholders and the staff to ensure that stupid Portsmouth-style (to name one of many clubs) decisions are not taken. For example one key indicator is wages as a percentage of turnover. You can be sure that the board will have that very much in mind when they look at the proposed overall budget and the player budget in particular.Once settled I imagine McNally does then have a fair bit of leeway to allocate the player budget as he thinks best, depending on Hughton''s list of targets, wage demands etc. But juggling within the overall sum agreed. We are a medium-sized club owned by paupers and we cannot just throw money we can''t afford to spend at a problem.

[/quote]I think I''m talking about the decision making which arises from scrutiny & oversight of executive activity. So on one level it''s entirely fair and right to say "praise the Board!" as they have played their part in our football club''s renaissance.  But on another level, it seems odd to praise the Board for each specific action carried out under the instruction of the CEO.Essentially, I''m being pedantic.

[quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"]

I think I''m talking about the decision making which arises from scrutiny & oversight of executive activity. So on one level it''s entirely fair and right to say "praise the Board!" as they have played their part in our football club''s renaissance.  But on another level, it seems odd to praise the Board for each specific action carried out under the instruction of the CEO.Essentially, I''m being pedantic.[/quote]

I am the last poster here to complain about that. Pedantry in pursuit of veracity is no crime.