Sign in to follow this  
iron_stan

Defoe!!!

Signing to be announced next week

:Pnot obviously not, although is apparently on his way out of spurs, would you want him ? i suspect his wages would be an issue but hes proven he knows where the net is when he gets a run of games, still got a decent amount of pace, guess the only argument might be his hunger but with a world cup coming up and likely to be his last shot he should be well up for it

I''d love to have Parker as well. The pair of them would be amazing but like everyone else says its all to do with the wages and neither seem the type that would want to cut their wages to guarantee first team football although they would both work hard when playing. I.e. they wouldn''t be here to just top up their retirement fund

I had heard about 2 weeks ago that Norwich had apparently agreed a fee with Spurs for Defoe. The player had to agree terms and whether he wanted to move up this way!!! I just dispelled the rumour due to his potentially high wages. His name does keep cropping up on a regular basis though forums and the media. Stranger this have happened though, you never know. With Houghton''s connection, it may just be possible...

What has houghtons connections got to do with it? Who is houghton anyway? Is he a friend of the Norwich manager chris hughton?

SPELLING POLICE......neee nahhhh. neeee. nahhh. neee. nahhhh.

Hands-face

[quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"]Wastes too many chances and not clinical enough.  No thanks.[/quote]You wouldn''t want an England striker with a phenomonal back catalogue of goals over a consistently long period, who''s still in his prime?152 professional goals at the highest club level 19 goals for EnglandWhat type of striker do you want?!Defoe signing would eclipse RVW''s in my opinion. BUT, as mentioned many times over the last fortnight by posters on here, we cannot afford his wages. If he leaves he will go to a much bigger club than City and will do very well for at least another 3-4 years.

I doubt whether we could afford his wages and. even if we could, it might provoke dissension in the squad and put an upward pressure on wages.

He is still a good player, a good goal poacher, but I am not sure he is what we want.

If he could learn to pass to his team mates then I would love him here. His hogging is a major weakness.

[quote user="Jonzey"][quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"]Wastes too many chances and not clinical enough.  No thanks.[/quote]You wouldn''t want an England striker with a phenomonal back catalogue of goals over a consistently long period, who''s still in his prime?152 professional goals at the highest club level 19 goals for EnglandWhat type of striker do you want?!Defoe signing would eclipse RVW''s in my opinion. BUT, as mentioned many times over the last fortnight by posters on here, we cannot afford his wages. If he leaves he will go to a much bigger club than City and will do very well for at least another 3-4 years. [/quote]You certainly do get some ''interesting'' opinions on this message board. Of the threads I''ve seen today we have;* Defoe - General consensus, no.* Shelvey - General consensus, no.* Richard Keogh - General consensus, yes.This place really is a train wreck this time of year. For some reason, I just can''t look away.

[quote user="city-till-i-die"]What has houghtons connections got to do with it? Who is houghton anyway? Is he a friend of the Norwich manager chris hughton? SPELLING POLICE......neee nahhhh. neeee. nahhh. neee. nahhhh. Hands-face[/quote]

Is it too much to expect posters to get the Manager''s name right? 

Defoe is quality albeit I accept his best years are behind him. That said he could easily give us 2 or 3 good seasons. I would not pay a big fee as at his age there will be no resale. as for wages I would expect him to be at the top of our club range whatever that is but I would not break the bank either. He will know that if he moves on it will be to a mid table or lower EPL club, abroad or even in the championship so should expect a far less lucrative contract than he has been used to in the past. I do think Spurs are stupid letting him go a mass clear-out rarely work, evolution not revolution

city-till-i-die wrote:

What has houghtons connections got to do with it? Who is houghton anyway? Is he a friend of the Norwich manager chris hughton? SPELLING POLICE......neee nahhhh. neeee. nahhh. neee. nahhhh. Hands-face

I''d it to much not to jump

On people within seconds of a spelling mistake lol.

Does it really REALLY matter?????

As long as people understand the point of the post.

I''m not privy to the information myself but 1 or 2 reliable folk from the Wrath of the Barclay said they believe Defoe was all lined up last year only for the player to change his mind on deadline day (thus ending up with Kane, and Hughton talking about signings falling through, or whatever it was he said)

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="city-till-i-die"]What has houghtons connections got to do with it? Who is houghton anyway? Is he a friend of the Norwich manager chris hughton? SPELLING POLICE......neee nahhhh. neeee. nahhh. neee. nahhhh. Hands-face[/quote]

[/quote]

Considering how many appear to struggle to cope with reality, it probably is.

I''m not saying is unimportant but no need for people to jump on their necks if they spell a name/word incorrectly.

We are all on here to share our views/opinions no need to shoot people down because they do not have an A level in English lol.

It''s a yes for me. He''s still in his prime and does score goals. He''s an England international and will be wanting regular games to keep his place. We would give these whereas other bigger teams may not. Wages may not be that big a deal. He''s reportedly wanted out of spurs so an initial purchase would not be too much. We can off set the wages against this. Hughton knows him from his spurs days too.

Not so sure Defoe would be a good move for him or us.   Older players that do well after they have been with just one or two clubs most of their careers, tend to be the more versatile ones - Dublin for us, Phil Neville type etc.   Can he offer us much?   Possibly, but he relies on service as much as any striker and his strike rate isn''t the best.   Could end up on the bench most of the time - would he be happy with that?

OK, lets get some reality here. This is Defoe we are talking about. A quality goalscorer playing for a top 5 side. We WILL NOT be seeing him in a canary shirt next season, however much i would like it. We are not an attractive enough option for a player of that caliber just yet.

Agreed super canary.

It''s OK not being little old Norwich anymore, but some of our fans have delusions of grandeur.

Defoe is way out of our league.

Caveat:

Wouldn''t mind being proved wrong though.

70+k a year, get a grip people!

We have more chance of getting hucks out of retirement than getting Defoe here

[quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]Agreed super canary.

It''s OK not being little old Norwich anymore, but some of our fans have delusions of grandeur.

Defoe is way out of our league.

Caveat:

Wouldn''t mind being proved wrong though.[/quote]

Delusions of grandeur?   Martin Peters? Darren Huckerby?  Sometimes dreams come true, not that Defoe would be a dream.  

Never say never.