Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Bayern Munich

Found my old Bayern/Norwich discs yesterday.  Looking at them, particularly the home match, it is clear what we are missing at the moment.    The goal at CR was sublime.  A simple pass out to Bowen on the left, one touch, a delicate chip from Bowen into the heart of the penalty area.   Simplicity itself.   No holding the ball up, no-one trying too much, or taking on too many players, no unnecessary hesitancy.   Simple pass, cross, goal.    Direct and not allowing the opposition time to get organised.   Quality and directness.     Bowen''s cross as good as any Beckham cross - and he wasn''t particularly far forward.  Chippy was just Chippy.    I really hope we get a good midfield general type player in this window.   It would be the making of our next season.    Either that or the players we''ve got have a good hard look at themselves - or better still - watch some dvd''s of  Walker''s team.

[quote user="super canary"]''a good hard look at themselves'' ??? A little harsh. We finished 11th in our 2nd season. What did our midfield do so wrong?[/quote]For the majority of games - hold on to the ball too long, try to beat too many players, pass straight back to the opposition on too many occasions,  hesitate too often allowing the opposition to get back, failure to put in enough early and quality crosses.....do you want me to go on?

How about sticking the game on YouTube. Living in Australia at the time I never got to see it fully.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="super canary"]''a good hard look at themselves'' ??? A little harsh. We finished 11th in our 2nd season. What did our midfield do so wrong?[/quote]For the majority of games - hold on to the ball too long, try to beat too many players, pass straight back to the opposition on too many occasions,  hesitate too often allowing the opposition to get back, failure to put in enough early and quality crosses.....do you want me to go on?

[/quote]

But like the Defoe thread, isnt it all relative? The more progress we make in the league, the better the quality player we can attract. I agree with your examples, but is it just that, being a relatively new premier league team, this is the best type of player we can attract? They are not the best players in the world, but they are the level of player we can afford relative to our status in the league. Are we expecting too much so soon?

Although taking just one goal from seasons past and comparing it with a whole season(s) worth of ''failure'' is a bit much I do tend to agree partly with LDC''s comments.

We do take too long on the ball compared to the better teams, we do seem to lack players that can make quick, simple and decisive passes, players that can be in the right place to pick up those passes and players with the pace to get there.

Individual effort and skill often amount to nothing if teamwork is lacking, we do have skillful, hard working players but we need others brought in to ''give the lads a hand''.

[quote user="Herman "]How about sticking the game on YouTube. Living in Australia at the time I never got to see it fully.[/quote]

Sorry, don''t know how to and don''t have an account on you tube.  There are highlights already on you tube though.    If you want the whole of the matches,  pm me an address I''ll send you a copy of the matches on disc. (Don''t have to put your real name on it, if you want to keep your privacy [:D] ).  

If you are able to make copies of the games, then I would be happy to send you some cash. Looks like it''s only possible to buy the away leg online.

[quote user="kick it off"]If you are able to make copies of the games, then I would be happy to send you some cash. Looks like it''s only possible to buy the away leg online.[/quote]

Don''t want money kio. Same as what I said to Herman, -  pm an address.   No more though copies though for anyone else,  it takes me too long - I have to do it the hard way - playing the whole match on a player while it records. 

[quote user="Herman "]How about sticking the game on YouTube. Living in Australia at the time I never got to see it fully.[/quote]

Haha LDC struggles to use this message board correctly, he''s gonna struggle with YouTube isn''t he?

Not sure how 1 goal from 19 years ago can be used to justify criticism of the current players-the game has moved on from then and I seriously doubt whether the amount of space available for that goal would be available now.

I know where you are coming from, BUT....Walker''s side that played Bayern was the result of several seasons team building and momentum and a playing style that started before he took over, and at that time there wasnt the money around for all the other sides to be so much better, and they werent so much better. It''s so very different now to make a comparison with how this City side has been put together and where they are in their evolvement, the challenges faced and the total different level of the opposition they play.....for example, today''s Bayern is way better than the one we faced. The slickness in play and speed of  passing etc will, I expect, improve next season as the team improves in understanding of each other and more quality is added.......not, sure they actually need to take a look at themselves :-)

LDC I have a suggestion, as it seems like there is a fair bit of interest in getting copies of the matches.If you send me copies, I will rip and upload them as DVD isos (presumably they are DVDs as you say disks?), so that anyone who wants a copy can just download and then burn themselves off a copy. Seems easier than you making a load of copies manually.I can also upload them to youtube or whatever if there is interest in that.Let me know what you think