Sign in to follow this  
Nicko

Hooper on the verge of signing for

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport/readingfc/articles/2013/06/14/90374-reading-fc-on-verge-of-massive-drenthe-and-hooper-double-signing/

Michael Bailey just said

''Reading getting excited about signing Drenthe & Hooper. Wd be very interesting to see if those two stood out at Championship level. #ncfc''

Fair point. Plus if he is any good, its a good job he won''t be playing against us!

As I''ve said before, we don''t need to be looking at players who need to prove themselves at Prem level. There are plenty about who we know are good enough and we have the money to buy them.Taking a chance on a player is what Championship clubs do.

They must be offering him a bid wad if he is seriously considering playing in the Championship next year.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Showing some ambition there aren''t they. In fact they appear to be signing better players now than they were last year when they were preparing for premiership football!

Anyway championship is Hoopers level I feel.[/quote]

Agreed, bottom end prem at best

[quote user="refjezdavies"][quote user="lincoln canary"]Showing some ambition there aren''t they. In fact they appear to be signing better players now than they were last year when they were preparing for premiership football!

Agreed, bottom end prem at best[/quote]

At the risk of appearing pedantic, 11th out of 20th IS bottom end.

I very much doubt if this is true. He would go to Hull rather than back to the championship, indeed he would be better staying at Celtic. Celtic boards have no squeak of this either so I think it is wishful thinking in Berkshire

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="refjezdavies"][quote user="lincoln canary"]Showing some ambition there aren''t they. In fact they appear to be signing better players now than they were last year when they were preparing for premiership football!

At the risk of appearing pedantic, 11th out of 20th IS bottom end.[/quote]

Yes I agree, surely we sign players to progress the quality within the team, does signing Gary hooper represent progression, probably not

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="refjezdavies"][quote user="lincoln canary"]Showing some ambition there aren''t they. In fact they appear to be signing better players now than they were last year when they were preparing for premiership football!

At the risk of appearing pedantic, 11th out of 20th IS bottom end.[/quote]

At the risk of appearing equally pedantic, 11th out of 20 is bottom half not bottom end. I think Hooper''s got potential and remember most on here thinking so in January.

Hooper wouldn''t be a bad buy IMO, but there are ???s about him. If we lose out, particularly to Reading, I am certain that it is because we ''chose'' not to pursue as have other, better, options (or just weren''t interested after getting RVW).

Wait untill we end up with some old crap like Kenwynne Jones or Cameron Jerome and everybody will be wishing we had snapped Hooper up .

Don''t know what the fuss is about......

We apparently bidded 4 times for hooper in January. If we wanted him again we would have clearly launched another bid for him seeing apparent hull and reading interest.

We have either bidded for him again already or have better targets in mind. Hughtons already said that the value is better abroad so I''m hoping another gem can pop up!

frequently reading posts about what a risk Hooper, etc, etc are but when Chelsea paid £50mm for Torres, that was a certainty! not how it turned out though. My point is any new signing will be some sort of risk, there are no guarantees, so Hughton will have done his research and you just have to go for it!

Odd one this!

Why leave Celtic with guaranteed European football for a Championship side with no guarantee of promotion?

Hooper wiill surely be aiming higher than this?

Highly unlikely methinks, no matter how much money is involved.

Snake