Sign in to follow this  
Essexiled Canary

McKenzie!!

I''m sorry but if this guy goes I won''t lose any sleep over it!!

He has given his all this season in terms of passion and commitment, but he lacks so much quality!!

All season he has been missing chances, even in the Fulham game he had a great opportunity to stick it in, all he had to do was lift it over the keeper who was going to ground and he blasted it over!!

Any player can show passion and commitment (Holt) but consistant quality is more important!!

If we can get 1.5 mil for him then we are laughing!!

Don''t get me wrong he is a great guy but I think we need someone better!!

totally disagree. I would have understood if you had posted that around January. but recently he has improved so greatly. hes a superb player imo and the sort of player who should be at the club. Joint top scorer and another player we must keep for next season

can you go out there and score against man utd then the barclay kid????

i think not

Sorry barcleykid.  I normally like your posts but that is utter rubbish.  The guy has come on leaps and bounds since we signed him.  His strength, pace and finishing have all improved.  He''s a little terrior who always puts in 110%.  I will be very disappointed if he leaves.

[quote]I''m sorry but if this guy goes I won''t lose any sleep over it!! He has given his all this season in terms of passion and commitment, but he lacks so much quality!! All season he has been missing cha...[/quote]

You don''t become the joint top scorer if you haven''t got any skill.  Keep McKenzie and let Svensson go back to Sweden.  Thankfully the majority of supporters don''t share your opinion hence McKenzie third behind Francis and Huckerby as player of the season.  Also on the open day at the end of the season only Francis and McKenzie were given player of the season awards by the independent supporters groups.

For what its worth, I think he should stay.  I did comment on him being a headless chicken at the start of the season, but since Dean Ashton''s arrival, McKenzie has come on leaps and bounds and that is why clubs are starting to take interest

As regards my Player Of The Season nomination, I think you should perhaps look at McKenzie''s recent history.
Signed from Peterborough half way through the Division One winning season, he scored some important goals and helped us go up.
Then, less than a year later he finds himself in the Premiership. Granted he struggled for the first 4-5 months, but then so did other players.
At the end of the season he''d been with us for about 18 months. In that time he''s gone from a rather good Second Division striker [as it was named at the time] to a good Premiership striker.
I honestly think that McKenzie is a player we should be trying very hard to hold onto, as he really looks to be finding his feet in the higher echelons of the Football League.
A season alongside Ashton in the Championship and the boy will almost certainly be racking in the goals and help us back to the Premiership.

If this doesn''t change your mind, then think about this: a good striker is all well and good, but a good striker partnership [such as Ashton and McKenzie] is worth it''s weight in gold, and you can''t deny that Ashton and McKenzie work well together, can you..?

I agree with the original post.

I love Leon, and it''s great to have a player with his balls, but to be a first choice striker at a first class club you need touch (no), skill (some), positioning (no) and awareness (no) as well as an aptitude for finishing (which he does have). Leon will be mighty for us in the championship but is the archetypal "not prem quality" player.

As I have always done, I would like to see a "proper" left winger here who is left footed, can cross and defend and tackle, and Hucks up front with Deano. Leon as replacement for Hucks and Matty as replacement for Ashton.

Too right. To make the step up from D2 to D1 then to the Premier league in little more than 12 months is a big, big ask.That McKenzie has come through it and looked competant at Premiership level by the end of the season is testament to his hard work, I have no doubt. I''d be willing to bet hes one of the hardest workers in training and also that he looks after himself well regards diet and lifestyle.The last thing we need is to lose a player who is guarenteed to be a constant hassle to defenders in whatever league he plays in.

I''m sure he has come on leaps and bounds but to me in his latest interview on the Pinkun Front Page he does not seem to give much indication of his desire to stay here.

[quote]can you go out there and score against man utd then the barclay kid???? i think not[/quote]

I''m not a professional footballer!! Thats a bit of a ridiculous thing to come out with!! But if I was I think I could have slotted that chance he was presented with by Safri''s great work, Huckerby''s cheeky little pass and Ashtons vision and ability!!

I don''t think he is a bad player, he is one my favourites, but I just think that regardless of the  goals he scored at the end of the season he lacks the quality we need!!

Too many times he does not have the deftness of touch required and at 27 it is not a skill that you can pick up!!

Don''t get me wrong I don''t WANT him out of the team I just think we could better, but then again we could do alot worse!!

Leon had a purple spell at the end of the season that we will all remember him for.   His energy and passion are fantastic but at the end of the day he will never be a premier striker.  Like most strikers he has had a run of games where he has found the back of the net. However his touch, control, passing, finishing and ability to stay onside are simply not up to prem standard.

However I think he is worth more than a million and a half this season, particularly if Sven goes.  Ashton partnership with Leon is working well and they should do well inthe fizzy pop, well enough to propel us back to the prem league, which is our target.  We know he IS plenty good enough at this level, will score goals and put defences under physical pressure, which always causes problems.

He is among the players we need to hold on to this season as we can not restructure the team and push for promotion to that extent within 12 months.

OTBC    

The signing of Ashton has brought the best out in McKenzie.  We always knew that his commitment and workrate was not in question.  With Ashton alongside him he has come on in leaps and bounds.

Granted he doesn''t have the best 1st touch, nor is he a natural goalscorer.  But he works hard for the team and with his pace and agression, he will score a lot of goals in the Fizzy league.

If Worthy does decide to let him go, he is worth more than £1.5m.  Look at what Leeds paid for Rob Hulse.  And McKenzie scored more than Hulse in the Premiership.

I think we all want Leon to stay, but if he has ideas above his station, then let any Prem team who is willing to waste a couple of million have him.

Some people don''t know when they are onto a good thing and believe me, Leon is at Norwich.

He is a good Championship player and links well with Ash, but he is not irreplacable by any means. 

Joint top scorer! Doesn''t say much really does it. Mckensie had a good run of form towards the end of the season but that is the best we''ll see from him. It is by no means the end of the world if he goes, i love his enthusiasm and willingness to do the donkey work but his first touch is dreadful and my Grandmother could form a good striking partnership with Ashton.

I agree that his first touch is awful and lets him down badly - I and many others have been saying that all season. He''s not really upto the Premiership - he has the commitment but quality is lacking at times. But I still think we should try hard to keep him for this coming season. We know what he can do in divison one.

i''m defintely in the if he goes, he goes camp here.  Yes he has improved, but no where near enough to be a decent Prem striker.

I think he will be quality for us next season, but if we go up we shouted be too worried or surprised if he is nothing more than a squad player.

McKenzie is the perfect partner for Ashton: He will run around all day, where Ashton won''t. they could both get 20 goals this season, filling them with confidence, and cementing their partnership. back in the prem he''ll be more experienced and score a lot more goals.

Lets worry about the premiership when we get back there. Mckenzi/Ashton/Huckerby will be an absolute revelation in the first division. completely unplayable. Back them up ith Jonson, and youve got a goalscoring powerhouse that surpasses anything in the league.

Mckenzie cant be faulted for effort and that is a good thing, mckenzie and ashton read each others games and know when to run etc. i wouldnt split them up just yet...... they started to form a great partnership in the premier league, and i can not see why it wont continue in the fizzy league

sorry barclay end boy have to disagree on this one think leon is what we have been missing for years. Him and deano are going to get even better he takes so much work of  deano and hux and still manages to turn up in the penalty area. And i have never seen someone turn a defender as quick as he does he is so strong and very good in the air in fact i rate him as highly as deano and hux.His goal against everton at home said everthing about leon strength skill and finesse.    

He will be a premiership striker. And i believe he will be our second top scorer this season. Hes going to be devestating in the Championship. He had to go from div 2 to the prem in just half a season. He is a legend imo and he will only get better

I was initially very dubious of whether MacKenzie had sufficient skill for the prem but he has improved so so much in the latter half of the season. He will be class in the Championship and although £1.5 million is a decent sum I don''t think it would buy a striker of greater quality than Leon. Also we know Leon is a success at Norwich - buying a new striker involves risk with no guarateed success. He also seems to work very well with Ashton!! Unless he really wants to go or someone makes a silly money offer, I think we would be foolish to sell him!

[quote]sorry barclay end boy have to disagree on this one think leon is what we have been missing for years. Him and deano are going to get even better he takes so much work of deano and hux and still manag...[/quote]

That was an absolutely reat goal and I really do love the guy playing for Norwich, but I just think he doesn''t consistantly produce the kind of quality needed for us to become a regular premiership team!!

He gives his all in every game and yes we do need that, but realistically we need a higher percentage of quality in the team!!

I wouldn''t rate him as high as deano in terms of ability and finesse is not a word I would associate with him. Effort and endevour, yes!!

Anyone who was at the Soton game at their place, would have witnessed one of the most all-round displays I have seen in recent yrs in a yellow shirt, in McKenzie.

Fair enough, he will never play for England, but if every had his character and drive we would be a better team

Leon isnt amazing but think about some of the useless strikers we''ve had up front in the last few years..

Iwan - legend but too old

McVeigh - talented but doesnt seem to want to use it

Neilson - Hard working but not up to it

Abbey - rubbish and injury prone

Libbra - talanted but lazy

Henderson - pontential doesn''t last forever..

Crouch.. too tall, too weak, poor touch unproven in the premiership..

So yeah i''d pick Leon in front of all these lot..

Leon and Deano will be probably the best partnership in the Championship next season, possibly only Saints will have anything in the same breath. Those who wish to replace Leon should really ask who we would get instead who would be any better without spending all of Nigel''s warchest.

And Leon''s scoring rate is actually pretty reasonable when you consider the number of games he has played, especially last year when he had half a season and many of his games were as a sub. I could see him get close to the 20 goal mark next season.

I often view Leon as our best defender, harrying and closing down opposition centre backs and full backs- this apsect of his game should not be underestimated. In fact if all our team had the attitude and commitment of leon then we would probably still be in the Prem.

[quote]Anyone who was at the Soton game at their place, would have witnessed one of the most all-round displays I have seen in recent yrs in a yellow shirt, in McKenzie. Fair enough, he will never play for ...[/quote]

He was on fire in that game! If i''m thinking of the right one!