Sign in to follow this  
SWP = Poor Mans Ruel Fox!!

Buyers beware with strikers from Eredivisie

Sorry, started reading:

"The roll call of previous golden boot winners over the past decade emphasises the need for caution with Mateja Kezman, Dirk Kuyt, Afonso Alves and Mounir El Hamdaoui"

Kuyt has played an important part in Liverpool''s recent history, and whilst he may not have translated the goals across he was still an important part of their team, hardly what you would call a flop.

But I think the reality is you could pick any league in the world and find that the successful signings from them to England is probably equalled by those that were not.

My personal opinion is that every signing should be met with equal caution for us. We won''t be signing anyone that is of a guaranteed pedigree - at least not yet.

Carroll for example, will cost West Ham £15.5million plus his wages. And that isn''t for someone who is what you would all a prolific goalscorer.

A lot comes down to how the player settles in and the confidence shown in them.

Most of the leagues around Europe bar of the handful, are not of the same standard as the Premier League.

Spain, Germany and Italy are what I think you could call the Premier League''s equals at this moment - or at least as close to it as you could find.

The best value for money is often found away from those leagues, and that relies heavily upon a good scouting network. Caution is something I am sure they are well versed in, but there is always a risk.

Toivonen seems to have played in midfield for most of his time with PSV, so the particular point about strikers, isn''t completely relevant. But I don''t doubt his Dutch scoring record - which is phenomenal for a midfielder - would not have been so impressive in a top league.

Well said Chicken.

Caution is definitely the word to use.

It always amazes me how some people automatically write off people from lower leagues, or abroad (especially those, that they themselves haven''t heard of, fair enough being specifically but some just straight up say no way and occasionally have ago at people who suggest them). We, along with plen of other clubs have proven you can find the right players for this league from many others that are know where near this standerd.

Also the point about goalscoring records. Surely our survival and 11th place finish shows its not all about stats.

PurpleCanary wrote - " But I don''t doubt his Dutch scoring record - which is phenomenal for a midfielder..."

Hmmm, have a flick through the goalscoring stats for the offensive players for PSV - AMs, wingers, etc. I can only presume that no teams play with goalkeepers in the Eredivise.