Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

2013/2014 Premiership - A Season Of Change

Some will say there is always change, and there is. However, while it''s not likely that the "big" teams will slide down the table, this coming season is filled with more and broader change than is normally the case. This could provide opportunity for one or two of the "lesser" clubs to take advantage of if they acquire well and gel early.

- A change in manager at Manchester United with rumors of Wayne Rooney possibly leaving

- Brendan Rogers is still likely "on probation" and, if Suarez leaves, Liverpool could still be struggling for the right way forward

- Chelsea are back under "the Great One" but the days are numbered for a few of the stalwarts and things may not go smoothly at first

- Similar situation at Manchester City

- Spurs appear to be going through a sea change 

- Everton, with an established squad, are notorious slow starters and it will be interesting to see how they respond to Martinez.

- Arsenal may be well poised to take advantage of the above if they can get off to a fast start.

There was not too much difference between "all others" this past season so, if Norwich can make one or two more key signings, we are as well equipped as anyone to take advantage of all this change if the opportunity presents itself. 

It''s a cliche, YC, that there are no easy games in the Premiership, but one with a lot of truth in it. Could be a very open season coming up with no one club running away with the title.

I concur with Yankee - this is a season with different kinds of changes; ''the rest'' outside the top teams have never been more equal. The time period we''re in right now provides an opportunity for all clubs to make their acquisitions/disposals and get set for the new season. Whoever does it best will have a head start. Any team frittering away the first 8/10 games while they find their feet will be firmly in the bottom 3 and facing an altogether different challenge up to Xmas.

The first few games last season for Norwich were painful. I don''t think anyone connected with the club will want that again?

Good point YC.

3 of the likely title challengers have new managers and it may be that at least one of them will not be successful - no-one envys Moyes trying to follow Fergie.

Another factor is the poor Champs League performances last year from English teams - certainly Man C & possibly Chelsea will have this as a main focus.

8th place is always available anyway but this could be a year when a top 6 spot is not beyond reach if someone gets a great start & has a bit of luck - much like Newcastle did a couple of years back.

We are seeing some big money being spent already - Man C up to nearly £50M! Exciting times.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

Some will say there is always change, and there is. However, while it''s not likely that the "big" teams will slide down the table, this coming season is filled with more and broader change than is normally the case. This could provide opportunity for one or two of the "lesser" clubs to take advantage of if they acquire well and gel early.

- A change in manager at Manchester United with rumors of Wayne Rooney possibly leaving

- Brendan Rogers is still likely "on probation" and, if Suarez leaves, Liverpool could still be struggling for the right way forward

- Chelsea are back under "the Great One" but the days are numbered for a few of the stalwarts and things may not go smoothly at first

- Similar situation at Manchester City

- Spurs appear to be going through a sea change 

- Everton, with an established squad, are notorious slow starters and it will be interesting to see how they respond to Martinez.

- Arsenal may be well poised to take advantage of the above if they can get off to a fast start.

There was not too much difference between "all others" this past season so, if Norwich can make one or two more key signings, we are as well equipped as anyone to take advantage of all this change if the opportunity presents itself. 

[/quote]Good points although a little confused by Spurs- how are they going through a sea change?I''d also add that the three teams coming up seem weak- I''d be surprised if at least two of them didn''t go straight back down.

King Canary: "Good points although a little confused by Spurs- how are they going through a sea change?"

King, what I was alluding to is the recent announcement by Spurs to release 10 members of their squad that includes some big names, the ongoing speculation regarding whether someone will come in with a big offer for Gareth Bale ( Spurs may bite if the offer is big enough and they feel it will help them make a number of new signings ) and the speculation that PSG are trying to tempt Spurs to release manager Villas-Boas. I don''t believe the latter is likely to happen but these factors are not the stability Spurs require to once again have a crack at a top four position.

The most significant long-term factor that comes in next season in terms of levelling the playing-field is - in theory - the Premier League''s version of Financial Fair Play. If the measures are strict enough, and that is highly questionable, I doubt the effects will be seen straight away. The first concrete indications will probably come in the accounts of clubs for this coming season, when they are released around Christmas next year. And even if the measures are effective they may take seasons to work.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

King Canary: "Good points although a little confused by Spurs- how are they going through a sea change?"

King, what I was alluding to is the recent announcement by Spurs to release 10 members of their squad that includes some big names, the ongoing speculation regarding whether someone will come in with a big offer for Gareth Bale ( Spurs may bite if the offer is big enough and they feel it will help them make a number of new signings ) and the speculation that PSG are trying to tempt Spurs to release manager Villas-Boas. I don''t believe the latter is likely to happen but these factors are not the stability Spurs require to once again have a crack at a top four position.

[/quote]Hmm not sure I agree- I think their sea change happened last year, Redknapp, Modric and Rafa VdV all going in quick succession. I don''t think AVB will leave although Bale may. Of the 10 players they are looking to get rid of only Adebayor and Defoe have been main players this season. I do see your point though.

Some good points made, I can''t wait for next season to start with so many changes being made amongst the "bigger" sides. It''s going to be fascinating to see how it all pans out.

Not sure I entirely agree on the importance of Suarez and Rooney though, arguably big players for their teams who can win a game single handedly, but I feel Liverpool and Man utd could cope fine without either. For example, Liverpool, without Suarez, were undefeated in their final 4 games of last season (winning 3 and drawing 1), with Sturridge scoring 5 goals and Coutinho causing all kinds of problems. Even Henderson started looking like a player. Their 6-0 demolition of Newcastle (away) demonstrated that they have the ability to function well as a team without the antics of Suarez. As for Man Utd, who knows how they will perform under Moyes, but if Rooney leaves I truly believe they have a ready made replacement in Kagawa (that''s if they don''t shell out for Bale). He was played out of position for most of last season, but if played in his attacking midfield role he could become world class (his ex manager Klopp already believes he is). We saw what he did against us anyway.

All ifs and buts of course, and you''re right it could all pan out in favour for one or two "lesser teams".

Personally I would love to see Arsenal strengthen and make a march on the title, if only to change things up a bit. Their form in the latter half of last season was very good. The biggest losers could be Everton.

Some interesting points.  Also the number of managerial moves should shake things up, as just a handful of managers have been at their current clubs now for more than one season - Wenger, Jol, Pardew (can''t remember when WBA & West Ham appointed their current managers nor for the promoted clubs).