Sign in to follow this  
Mr Brownstone

For those thinking we should let Holty go....

Stolen from WOTB:

Norwich won 10 of the 28 PL games Holt started this season (35.7%)

Whilst winning none of the 10 matches he didn''t start.

I hope he stays and I think if he does, we''ll see better form from him next season. He''s always been at his best with a strike partner and with more competition for places.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

Stolen from WOTB:

Norwich won 10 of the 28 PL games Holt started this season (35.7%)

Whilst winning none of the 10 matches he didn''t start.

[/quote]Agreed. The guy''s a club legend with a lot still to offer. He''s leathal in the 6 yard box and as you said Mr Brownstone, is highly influential on the pitch. If he wants to stay then he should definitely stay.

He is definitely a very important part of the squad, and his role may well change, and we may see less of him but he should definitely be kept at least one more season before maybe letting him get another payday, and then the chance to play for Carlisle, something I believe he has made clear is an ambition.

He''s 32 years old and on a good contract, He got that contract because Norwich wanted to keep him.Who would offer enough money so that we let him go ?

I think the contract extension was not warranted by holty last summer. He had a good first season, he had a new contract before the premiership. He tested his arm and realised nobody was interested.

This season he was poor, kk showed him up near the end of the season as a more talismanic striker. So many posters commented on him racing around getting yellow cards, possible red cards up to the end of the season. H should rightly be third of fourth choice next season. Rvw is world class in comparison to the tyre fitter, we need another striker in case he gets injured. Because I do to want holty and becchio leading our strike force if rvw is injured.

If an offer came on holty may want to move on it, it is not just down to the club. His wages can be used on another good player as he is on big wages and will not get better.

For me if he leaves we need to bring in a young, gifted striker of a better ilk than holty. He then leaves as a hero. If he stays and has a season like this, then he is becoming a shrinking violet rapidly on big wages which is not beneficial to the club, bassong is our new talisman, with snoddy our creative edge.

But I know he does add something off the field, but our team is evolving and holty needs to be part of that if he stays.

Either way I am happy as we need to add one decent striker in any case. So win win, either he is third or fourth choice... Or we sell and his wages go on another striker who can help our team this and for seasons to come.

2012/13 - all competitions

Minutes per Goal

Gary Hooper - 134

Luciano Becchio - 141

Ricky Van Wolfswinkel - 184

James Vaughan - 206

Ola Toivonen - 210

Jonjo Shelvey - 322

Grant Holt - 349

Anthony Pilkington - 490

Robert Snodgrass - 510

Wesley Hoolahan - 526

I think the main problem is will Holty accept that he will probably be third choice striker, if he does it could work really well, but I suspect that will lead to frustration, if that''s the case its best he moves on and then be remembered as a legend here

We won 35% of games holt played in (or whatever the number was).

How about we possibly buy a new striker (rvw) or someone else and we win 40% of games they play in... Holt will be forgotten.

Joanna you keep posting those stats as if they are all that need to be considered (and adding no context such as which league those goals were scored in). For me, as far as stats go, the OP''s original post is much more interesting and lends itself to further exploration.

[quote user="Alfie54"]I think the main problem is will Holty accept that he will probably be third choice striker, if he does it could work really well, but I suspect that will lead to frustration, if that''s the case its best he moves on and then be remembered as a legend here[/quote] Agree with this- he should stay if he is able to deal with not being first choice this season. I was a bit concerned with his reaction to be being dropped for KK last season but there is no doubt he can still do a job.

That statistic sums up his overall contribution to the team, Holt isnt just about scoring goals, sure it helps if he hits double figures every season, but his contribution in terms of hard work, problems he causes quality defenders, leadership on and off the field are key to whta he gives us.

I was shocked by some of the criticism hurled at Holt on this board during the last season, some on here should be ashamed of themselves, he probably had two or three games maximum where he really had a "poor game" by his usually high standards and he was treated like the anti-christ, yet Hoolahan I feel had a slightly higher percentage of poor games, didnt face anything like the insults Holt received....he became an easy target unfortunately.....and some should hang their heads!

Its clear, and will be to Holt, that he may play a lesser role in the forthcoming season as the squad is strengthened, that''s ineveitable as we now have more cash available, BUT he is still a highly valuable and important part of the squad and should still play a key part in a high percentage of games next season, he is Premier League "savvy", something RVW isnt and will I am sure be crucial to the latter''s success in many matches next season and stil come up with some match turning and winning assists and goals.

Holt is in terminal decline. Any offer (even if it only gets him off our wage bill) that allows us to recruit a younger model should be accepted.

Ok I''ll state the obvious to JG. Only RVW (who we''ve bought) and Shelvey (same league) are worth comparing on that list. You can''t honestly think Becchio and Vaughan would''ve been of more value to us this past season than Holt.

I do despair of some people''s views of Holt and what they expected of him. Gave his all, as with every other player, had his off days and was instrumental in keeping us up again (and I haven''t mentioned that he''s a major reason we''re here in the first place).

Releasing Holt (particularly to a rival I''m the PL), assuming he wants to stay, would be more than foolish.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

Holt is in terminal decline. Any offer (even if it only gets him off our wage bill) that allows us to recruit a younger model should be accepted.

[/quote]

Is this serious?

Holt must stay because i believe he will be the ideal foil for RVW .The Winkel (new to the dark arts of  Premier league defenders) will need a minder , an enforcer up front  and Holty definitely ticks all the boxes.Last season Holt had too much on his shoulders with all the changes and now that all eyes will be on the Dutchman I am backing the big lump to score at least 10 goals next season.

[quote user="smooth"]I think the contract extension was not warranted by holty last summer. He had a good first season, he had a new contract before the premiership. He tested his arm and realised nobody was interested.

This season he was poor, kk showed him up near the end of the season as a more talismanic striker.
So many posters commented on him racing around getting yellow cards, possible red cards up to the end of the season. H should rightly be third of fourth choice next season. Rvw is world class in comparison to the tyre fitter, we need another striker in case he gets injured. Because I do to want holty and becchio leading our strike force if rvw is injured.

If an offer came on holty may want to move on it, it is not just down to the club. His wages can be used on another good player as he is on big wages and will not get better.

For me if he leaves we need to bring in a young, gifted striker of a better ilk than holty. He then leaves as a hero. If he stays and has a season like this, then he is becoming a shrinking violet rapidly on big wages which is not beneficial to the club, bassong is our new talisman, with snoddy our creative edge.

But I know he does add something off the field, but our team is evolving and holty needs to be part of that if he stays.

Either way I am happy as we need to add one decent striker in any case. So win win, either he is third or fourth choice... Or we sell and his wages go on another striker who can help our team this and for seasons to come.[/quote]You''ve completely over hyped KK in my opinion.KK was no better than Jackson.

I have mixed feelings about Holt. He has been a tremendous servant of the club - a good influence around the club - a fine example, the one who apparently persuaded the first team squad to attend the youth cup matches, in the lower divisions a prolific scorer, and his goal at Stamford Bridge last season quite rightly included among candidates for Goal of  the Season. He is brave, not afraid to put his body or his head where there is danger.

On the other hand, he was/is the highest paid player and put his parts on to obtain a three year contract last summer, which was not edifying. He seems to have slowed down, and he seems to want to make progress by gaining fouls. What seems very clear is that he is not successful, for whatever reason, as a lone striker, and his conversion rate of chances is low, even if no worse than anyone else at the club.

What''s at issue? The questions is that it will cost the club in the next two years potentially £3m in wages and a loss of transfer fee, which is a lot of money for someone who may not appear regularly. In August 2011, he returned as fit as we have seen him and, before defenders worked out how to deal with him, scored 15 goals. Last season he had lost the element of surprise and he seemed slower.

So how far should our gratitude for past exploits extend, - a further two years? Perhaps, if we manage to sign a replacement, we could let him find himself another club, nearer Carlisle?, and let him go on a free transfer.

[quote user="Curious Orange"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]

Is this serious?[/quote]

Yes.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Curious Orange"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote] Is this serious?[/quote]

Yes.[/quote]

You''re only saying that because you want to buy him, as you''re the Joint owner of a (currently) top-flight professional football club in an easterly province of a European country. [;)]

Gh3yr contract - I am not over hyping kk, when holt came on he looked like a man ready to get himself sent of each game. H was not a threat and not a talisman in the slightest.

I will also add I said very early on that kk wasn''t good enough for us in the premiership if we did stay up and I did say his rawness etc was not what we needed and looked for improvement after 3 games, I didn''t see any.

So on that basis it puts where I put Holty''s performances at the end of the season in to perspective. I bet west ham were happy they didn''t get him in the summer

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Curious Orange"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]

Is this serious?[/quote]

Yes.

[/quote]

Damn wish I had time for a proper debate with you as you come across as ''interesting''.

However, I''ll just have to leave it at....what a load of b*****ks..

[quote user="smooth"]Gh3yr contract - I am not over hyping kk, when holt came on he looked like a man ready to get himself sent of each game. H was not a threat and not a talisman in the slightest.

I will also add I said very early on that kk wasn''t good enough for us in the premiership if we did stay up and I did say his rawness etc was not what we needed and looked for improvement after 3 games, I didn''t see any.

So on that basis it puts where I put Holty''s performances at the end of the season in to perspective. I bet west ham were happy they didn''t get him in the summer[/quote]

You''re basing your view on KK having a bigger impact than Holty on a couple of sub appearances this season?

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Curious Orange"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote] Is this serious?[/quote]

Yes.[/quote]

You''re only saying that because you want to buy him, as you''re the Joint owner of a (currently) top-flight professional football club in an easterly province of a European country. [;)]

[/quote]

Curses![:@] My cunning plan revealed.

Holt is in decline, people need to see this. I doubt he will start over 20 games for us next season, perhaps even half that.
Now i have no idea why people think we need to show him loyalty. Yes, he was instrumental in our promotion to the championship, to the premiership and our survival. However, last summer the guy took a risk and went all in with his poker hand, got the new contract he wanted, but at the cost of losing any future loyalty the club could have shown him.
He also came back after receiving his new contract in the worst shape of his playing career at NCFC and that was a disgrace and aided in what was a dreadful first couple of months for Holt (again, same thing happened previous season too, however i think Lambert dealt with it better than Hoots did). We saw some glimpses last season of the Holt we all came to love, but they were all to rare. Now, that wasn''t all Holt''s fault and he did put in some good performances at the very end of the season, but it was pretty obvious last season that Holt is in decline, his fitness has worsened, his touch has got worse and he just doesn''t fit in a 4 5 1 formation, so surely it makes sense to get rid and bring in someone Houghton thinks is better suited for that role.
I understand Holt brings a lot to the squad morale and team togetherness, but the team is slowly developing away from the group of core players we had a few years ago and the changing room has new leaders (Snodgrass and Bassong) now. 
It''s time for Holt to move on, if you cannot see that then i would argue that perhaps the yellow and green tinted lenses need to come off.

The people that think we should let Holt leave are the same idiots who made themselves look very stupid last season with their pant wetting and have proved they know nothing about football.

Gh3yr contract

When we needed a striker that was being talked about for some meaningless England games last summer to lead us from January he was replaced by kk. He then did nothing when coming on as a sub to say he should be starting instead of kk( who I did not think was good enough).

There are two things that will happen

(1) holty stays and is third or fourth choice striker, he is great behind the scenes, picks up his large pay cheque.

(2) he moves on now, we get some money, his wages go towards a player who is playing in the first 11 even if his wages are part of someone''s wages. He can leave knowing he had two great seasons in the prem and leaves with a job done before he becomes a player who is on the bench just picking up a pay cheque.

As mentioned bassong and snoddy are our talismans now... Secondly I will reiterate west ham must be very happy we did not agree to holty moving on last year.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]2012/13 - all competitions

Minutes per Goal

Gary Hooper - 134

Luciano Becchio - 141

Ricky Van Wolfswinkel - 184

James Vaughan - 206

Ola Toivonen - 210

Jonjo Shelvey - 322

Grant Holt - 349

Anthony Pilkington - 490

Robert Snodgrass - 510

Wesley Hoolahan - 526[/quote]Minutes per goal...pretty poor at this level!!!