Sign in to follow this  
Yobocop

Interesting stat re: Hughton

[quote user="Foghorn"]

Refjez said "Do you have Irish routes twitchy?"

I''d recommend Tomtom for finding your way around Refjez, though sometimes asking someone with local knowledgecan help.

[/quote]

Very good :)

[quote user="Ches right hand man "][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="petenorw"]

[quote user="lake district canary"]Hughton is English, but qualified to play for Ireland.   He may consider himself  half-Irish as a lot of people think they''re half this or half-that if their parents are from different countries.    A lot of players chose Ireland as a way into international football and it was great to follow them when they were at their best.    In some ways their Englishness made them more watchable - more watchable than England, because expectations never spoiled their style of play.   Jack Charlton was key in this - as English as they come - he would never have been England manager - but was over a period of years at least as successful as any other English manager.   Bobby Robson got to semi-final, but Ireland''s achievements were just as spectacular, if not more so.[/quote]

Correction, Hughton like me is British, and we speak English, get it right if you are going to quote matters all things England

[/quote]

No correction is needed.  Born in England so he is English.   He is also British as a result of being born in England.   If you are going to correct someone, make sure you are right first.

[/quote]But my Passport tells me I''m British.[/quote]In the simplest terms possible, Great Britain refers to, as of the early 18th century, a political union between the collection of countries that constitute the largest island within the British Isles; regardless of whether you''re talking in political or geographical terms, it is not a country in and of itself.I expect your passport is not referring to your national origin, but this union of kingdoms of which you are a part of by being English.Correct me if i''m wrong, but in purely technical terms Hughton is English, if it is indeed the case that international football participation is decided by nation of birth (supposing nation and country are interchangeable terms). Obviously national heritage then obscures the debate.Nevertheless being British, or being from the United Kingdom, is as far as i can see of no relevance to the debate since neither are a nation, but are (as far as a layman is concerned) a form of collection, or union, of nations.

I also realise Britain and Great Britain are not in fact the same thing, but i see no need to complicate this debate further...

Jez, I''d you expect a three page debate on nationality to occur following your post?

And LDC, why do you say people claim to be half a nationality because of parents like its a bad thing? If one of your parents is from somewhere else why shouldn''t you be proud of that. If they are? Nothing wrong with it...

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Jez, I''d you expect a three page debate on nationality to occur following your post? [/quote]You say that as if i''m lowering the bar.

[quote user="Gingerpele"] LDC, why do you say people claim to be half a nationality because of parents like its a bad thing? If one of your parents is from somewhere else why shouldn''t you be proud of that. If they are? Nothing wrong with it...[/quote]

Sorry if it came over like that.  Nothing could be further from what I think.  I''m half-Scottish and proud of both halves.

Not sure GP....if I''m honest I completely forgot he represented Ireland and was just going on purely on his essex/london accent....

HAHAHA

Just for confirmation,

Dad was from Rackheath,

Mum was from Horsham St Faiths.

How many fingers have I got?

[quote user="spencer 1970"]Definitely a Cockney, born in Newham. His mum is Irish. Although he may have had a Guinness once...but on another fact, that is also from London. A Stout originally called "Porter" that originates from the docks of London. Guinness is simple a trade name al a "Hoover/Vacuum cleaner". Never let a good story get in the way of a fact...or is that the other way around? :)[/quote]

Good grief. Saying Guiness is from London because it''s a type of porter is as dumb as saying all Fords are German because they''re a type of car.

I realise this is completely irrelevant to the thread at hand.

Ok then, My mom was Irish, Dad was a deserter from the Luftwaffe, parachuted out over Monmouth in 1938 when dropping out Propaganda papers and I was born in Redditch worcs Am I British German or Irish, I will always be British and served 12 years in the Paras, yes I''m British

[quote user="Hucka Hucka Huckerby"]I am not British, I''m English & proudly so. How many proud Scots would tell you theyre British rather than Scottish?[/quote]Many low lying Scots are of English decent, many Welsh people are of English decent and many English are of Irish decent especially in the London Liverpool and Manchester area. What does that make us all? All our DNA is the same why divide us?

"All our DNA is the same why divide us?"

That''s not true, but I get what you mean, we''re all members of one species and we all came from the same place.

[quote user="Bws Cat "]"All our DNA is the same why divide us?"

That''s not true, but I get what you mean, we''re all members of one species and we all came from the same place.[/quote]

Yep. As that well-known astronomer Joni Mitchell said: "We are stardust."

"We are the way for the universe to know itself"- Brian Cox

Don''t watch many of his programmes (I''ve advanced my knowledge a bit beyond documentaries) but I do love this quote.

I have English, Welsh, Scottish, Spanish, German and French bloodlines....

But born in England, raised in England, and with a clear English accent, I consider myself English.

I take into account the other bloodlines, especially the Spanish as that appears to have had the strongest genetic influence on me, but if I was a footballer I would choose to play for England. If I''m asked my nationality when travelling I always say English.

[quote user="pete_norw"]

Ok then, My mom was Irish, Dad was a deserter from the Luftwaffe, parachuted out over Monmouth in 1938 when dropping out Propaganda papers and I was born in Redditch worcs Am I British German or Irish, I will always be British and served 12 years in the Paras, yes I''m British

[/quote]Good for you, everyone else will have different opinions on what they class themselves as.  I''m sure some people would argue that they are Norfolkian or whatever the terminology would be.

Bw''s Cat" We are the way for the universe to know itself"I''ve often wondered about that phrase.   It seems to assume that we are the only lifeforms that knows  -  and what is painfully obvious is that  the more we find out, the less we know.     I prefer to think that the universe knows itself quite well, without our help. We are part of the universe of course and are part of the whole, but to assume we are the way for the universe to know itself is a bit arrogant, I think.   We know so little of why we are actually here and how it all works, all we can really do is wonder at it.  The more scientists look the more questions there are that don''t have answers.  Is that knowing, or is that not knowing?  [:S]

[quote user="lake district canary"]Bw''s Cat" We are the way for the universe to know itself"I''ve often wondered about that phrase.   It seems to assume that we are the only lifeforms that knows  -  and what is painfully obvious is that  the more we find out, the less we know.     I prefer to think that the universe knows itself quite well, without our help. We are part of the universe of course and are part of the whole, but to assume we are the way for the universe to know itself is a bit arrogant, I think.   We know so little of why we are actually here and how it all works, all we can really do is wonder at it.  The more scientists look the more questions there are that don''t have answers.  Is that knowing, or is that not knowing?  [:S][/quote]Some theoretical physicists speculate the universe only exists as a by product of consciousness. Others speculate consiousness is merely a by product of the universe. It''s the argument of the anthropic principle. I believe what Prof Brian Cox is trying to say is that all conscious life, including us and elsewhere in the universe, will always evolve, or has always existed, in order for the universe to exist. We (including all conscious alien life) are the mind of the universe, and the reason for it''s being. Heavy stuff. If you''re interested read up on Richard Feynman''s mind blowing two slit experiment : http://physics.mq.edu.au/~jcresser/Phys301/Chapters/Chapter4.pdf. If you invest the time, and can wade past the equations it will literally change how you understand and view everything in your life. But more importantly, Chris Hughton is English, and also Irish, so the OP was technically correct.

[quote user="Jonzey"][quote user="lake district canary"]Bw''s Cat" We are the way for the universe to know itself"I''ve often wondered about that phrase.   It seems to assume that we are the only lifeforms that knows  -  and what is painfully obvious is that  the more we find out, the less we know.     I prefer to think that the universe knows itself quite well, without our help. We are part of the universe of course and are part of the whole, but to assume we are the way for the universe to know itself is a bit arrogant, I think.   We know so little of why we are actually here and how it all works, all we can really do is wonder at it.  The more scientists look the more questions there are that don''t have answers.  Is that knowing, or is that not knowing?  [:S][/quote]Some theoretical physicists speculate the universe only exists as a by product of consciousness. Others speculate consiousness is merely a by product of the universe. It''s the argument of the anthropic principle. I believe what Prof Brian Cox is trying to say is that all conscious life, including us and elsewhere in the universe, will always evolve, or has always existed, in order for the universe to exist. We (including all conscious alien life) are the mind of the universe, and the reason for it''s being. [/quote]

Some others would say consciousness is inherent in the whole universe - that consciousness is present everywhere, not exclusive to so called "conscious" beings. 

Deep. It really is out of season if we''re discussing philosophy and theoretical physics!I like it. It''s much better than taking Twitter transfer rumours seriously, and slagging off each others spelling errors.

There is a certain irony in the reluctance of Scots and Welsh to describe themselves as British and the apparant acceptance of the English to do so. The celtic fringes of Great Britain (this being the main island and does not include Ireland) so named hundreds of years ago so as not to mixed up with Britain in France, have more claim to be Britains then the mixture of European roots of the English.

For the record my father is English and my mother is Scottish.