Sign in to follow this  
Yobocop

Interesting stat re: Hughton

In terms of league position, the 2nd most successful English manager last season in the premier league...

Well done that man!!!

I know he represented Ireland but surely that doesn''t make him Irish?

I could represent Wales but I wouldn''t say I''m welsh?

[quote user="refjezdavies"]What part of Ireland is Stratford in twitchy?[/quote]Just happened to be born there ref, check the rest of his history.

[quote user="refjezdavies"]I know he represented Ireland but surely that doesn''t make him Irish?

I could represent Wales but I wouldn''t say I''m welsh?[/quote]The man is Irish and very proud trust me.

Has he ever been asked what nationality he considered himself? I know he played for Ireland, but he was born and raised in England and spent his entire career in London. Are we sure he''s not like Townsend, in that he played for Ireland but still considers himself English?

Well I stand corrected then - I was fully aware he represented Ireland...

The 2nd most successful ENGLISH BORN premier league manager

[quote user="refjezdavies"]Well I stand corrected then - I was fully aware he represented Ireland...

The 2nd most successful ENGLISH BORN premier league manager[/quote]There you go spot on.

[quote user="refjezdavies"]:-D

Do you have Irish routes twitchy?[/quote]Lol, born and bred ref, btw honestly I''m only going on what I''ve heard first hand which should be pretty good to be fair.

[quote user="refjezdavies"]:-D

Do you have Irish routes twitchy?[/quote]Should have thrown out the old try the AA joke there but how and ever.

Twitchy, while you''re at it, let City1st that Ireland isn''t part of the UK and is ''foreign'' because of that. He doesn''t appear to understand/accept that for some reason...

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Twitchy, while you''re at it, let City1st that Ireland isn''t part of the UK and is ''foreign'' because of that. He doesn''t appear to understand/accept that for some reason...[/quote]Ah bless him Ginerpele.

[quote user="Twitchy"][quote user="Gingerpele"]Twitchy, while you''re at it, let City1st that Ireland isn''t part of the UK and is ''foreign'' because of that. He doesn''t appear to understand/accept that for some reason...[/quote]Ah bless him Ginerpele.[/quote]And bless me GINGERpele sorry bout that.

Definitely a Cockney, born in Newham. His mum is Irish.

Although he may have had a Guinness once...but on another fact, that is also from London. A Stout originally called "Porter" that originates from the docks of London. Guinness is simple a trade name al a "Hoover/Vacuum cleaner".

Never let a good story get in the way of a fact...or is that the other way around? :)

[quote user="spencer 1970"]Definitely a Cockney, born in Newham. His mum is Irish.

Although he may have had a Guinness once...but on another fact, that is also from London. A Stout originally called "Porter" that originates from the docks of London. Guinness is simple a trade name al a "Hoover/Vacuum cleaner".

Never let a good story get in the way of a fact...or is that the other way around? :)[/quote]Have a feeling this could get nasty for some unknown reason, can''t think why...................as I was getting at it''s just what the good man said himself, no more no less FFS.

[quote user="spencer 1970"]*simply[/quote]No I think you were pretty much on the button first time round.

On your basis twitchy...Chris Hughton is the most successful Ghanaian manager of all time

[quote user="spencer 1970"]Definitely a Cockney, born in Newham. His mum is Irish.

Never let a good story get in the way of a fact...or is that the other way around? :)[/quote]It should be pointed out that prior to 1965 when Greater London came

into effect, the London Borough of Newham was formed by merging the County Boroughs of East and West Ham. These two boroughs were both part of Essex, Forest Gate being in West Ham which bordered the County of London (what''s now often referred to as inner London).The County Borough of West Ham

went from Stratford in the northern section, to the docklands area in the south around Silvertown, but was more or less

separate from London and autonomous from Essex. The docklands area housed

the Thames Ironworks hence West Ham FC being known as the Irons or the

Hammers.So Hughton, like Bond and Brown before him, is primarily a born

and bred Hammer rather than an Irishman or Londoner.

Ireland fielded a lot of English players over the years. Those who were not good enough for England so played for them. Tony Cascarino being a prime example. He didn''t even qualify to play for Ireland!

Hughton is English, but qualified to play for Ireland.   He may consider himself  half-Irish as a lot of people think they''re half this or half-that if their parents are from different countries.    A lot of players chose Ireland as a way into international football and it was great to follow them when they were at their best.    In some ways their Englishness made them more watchable - more watchable than England, because expectations never spoiled their style of play.   Jack Charlton was key in this - as English as they come - he would never have been England manager - but was over a period of years at least as successful as any other English manager.   Bobby Robson got to semi-final, but Ireland''s achievements were just as spectacular, if not more so.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Hughton is English, but qualified to play for Ireland.   He may consider himself  half-Irish as a lot of people think they''re half this or half-that if their parents are from different countries.    A lot of players chose Ireland as a way into international football and it was great to follow them when they were at their best.    In some ways their Englishness made them more watchable - more watchable than England, because expectations never spoiled their style of play.   Jack Charlton was key in this - as English as they come - he would never have been England manager - but was over a period of years at least as successful as any other English manager.   Bobby Robson got to semi-final, but Ireland''s achievements were just as spectacular, if not more so.

[/quote]

Correction, Hughton like me is British, and we speak English, get it right if you are going to quote matters all things England

Refjez said "Do you have Irish routes twitchy?"

I''d recommend Tomtom for finding your way around Refjez, though sometimes asking someone with local knowledgecan help.

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="lake district canary"]Hughton is English, but qualified to play for Ireland.   He may consider himself  half-Irish as a lot of people think they''re half this or half-that if their parents are from different countries.    A lot of players chose Ireland as a way into international football and it was great to follow them when they were at their best.    In some ways their Englishness made them more watchable - more watchable than England, because expectations never spoiled their style of play.   Jack Charlton was key in this - as English as they come - he would never have been England manager - but was over a period of years at least as successful as any other English manager.   Bobby Robson got to semi-final, but Ireland''s achievements were just as spectacular, if not more so.[/quote]

Correction, Hughton like me is British, and we speak English, get it right if you are going to quote matters all things England

[/quote]

No correction is needed.  Born in England so he is English.   He is also British as a result of being born in England.   If you are going to correct someone, make sure you are right first.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="lake district canary"]Hughton is English, but qualified to play for Ireland.   He may consider himself  half-Irish as a lot of people think they''re half this or half-that if their parents are from different countries.    A lot of players chose Ireland as a way into international football and it was great to follow them when they were at their best.    In some ways their Englishness made them more watchable - more watchable than England, because expectations never spoiled their style of play.   Jack Charlton was key in this - as English as they come - he would never have been England manager - but was over a period of years at least as successful as any other English manager.   Bobby Robson got to semi-final, but Ireland''s achievements were just as spectacular, if not more so.[/quote]

[/quote]

No correction is needed.  Born in England so he is English.   He is also British as a result of being born in England.   If you are going to correct someone, make sure you are right first.

[/quote]But my Passport tells me I''m British.