Sign in to follow this  
Jammy Yellow

The Pink'un (ers)

Was FD for an SME in Cheshire, retired early, got bored, found a less stressful accounting role in Salford, planning to retire properly next year if I can afford it, improperly if I can''t.

Extremely Chuffed that this post is still going and lots of people have joined in.

Sad on the other hand though as there are no other postman out there... WHERE ARE YOU? LETS BE AVIN'' YA!

Party Manager on a Seismic Survey ship working usually in Asia (currently Vietnam). Unfortunately not managing the social kind of parties.

5 weeks on [:(] 5 weeks off [:)]

Still waiting for my buy back discount on the season tickets! Bar-stewards never give it too me even though I put them up for grabs a few times a year when the usual friends can''t make a game.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="morty"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="morty"][quote user="can u sit down please"]i work on the rigs. Heres to 3 weeks off![/quote]5 weeks > 3 weeks.[:D][/quote]I couldnt do 5, fair play to you. 3/3 is alright but soon going 2/3. Happy days![/quote]2 on 3 off, I wouldn''t mind some of that!As long as it was for the same money of course lol.[/quote]yeah 2 on 3 off, no change with pay either! I find 3 long enough, how on earth do you manage 5?![/quote]Its not so bad, you just get your head down and get on with it. Plus being on a vessel is different, theres always different stuff going on, its not so groundhog day as the rigs. Obviously my most favourite bit is the 5 weeks off[;)][/quote]

What are internet connections like on the rigs/vessels? Can you get a good football stream?

On the ships it is generally no good for video streams, but good enough for the live text updates. My company has a web blocking system in use so Youtube and most other streaming sites are now blocked.

Depending where we are working we sometimes get Sat TV using a tracking dish. I worked most of the last few years off Australia with Fox TV (Australias version of Sky). Saw every Norwich game live using viewers choice on the red button. Now jumping from country to country, so no TV at all as we don''t have any universal decoders.

On my vessel you have no chance with streams, the net is fine for surfing but not good enough for any streaming. But I still see a lot of games, I was in Norway for a lot of last season and City were never off the telly! And while I''m in Angola we get South African telly and see quite a lot of sports.