Sign in to follow this  
pete

Cardiff trouble ahead

Cardiff announce stadium to be expanded for 2014/5, llok what happened at Wolves.  Suggest you establish yourselves before considering expanding your stadium.  If true will need work to be carried out sometime during season therefore lost revenue.

I know Wolves are the most recent case study, but I''m sure this doesn''t mean everyone who ever upgrades their stadium will not compete on the field. I suppose Arsenal are the other recent example, and that doesn''t really reflect greatly either. But I did find the below: -

Cardiff City
The stadium has been built in such a way that it can be easily expanded. This would be achieved by temporarily taking off the roof and adding additional blocks of seating to three sides of the stadium (the Grandstand would remain as it is). Originally it was planned to expand capacity to 32,000, but it is now believed that 35,000 would be feasible. If Cardiff City remain in the Premier League then works could well start at the end of the 2013/14 season. 28.4.13
Source: http://www.footballgroundguide.com/developments.htm

So just maybe Cardiff have planned for this all along so will not cost an arm and a leg and can be done pretty quickly. Looks like if done properly it may not affect Cardiff''s on-field exploits. (Hope it does though!)

[quote user="pete"]Cardiff announce stadium to be expanded for 2014/5, llok what happened at Wolves.  Suggest you establish yourselves before considering expanding your stadium.  If true will need work to be carried out sometime during season therefore lost revenue.[/quote]

I haven''t seen an estimate for the cost. But the club are saying a tier can be built above an existing stand, and very quickly, so no loss of revenue.

It worked for Sunderland.

One team who arguably din''t do enough for their infastructure is Portsmouth. They should have grown their fanbase and renovated their stadium before shooting the moon on players. They had a decent enough side without all the top names they bought in.

I think a city like Cardiff could be a reasonably big player in the premiership. I don''t think they''re far off the quality needed to stay up either.

Am I right to remember that Cardiff have wealthy owners, so stadium expansion whilst not a guarantee of EPL safety, will probably not result in liquidation.

Also from what I understand of the FFP rules the owners can splash the cash on club infrastructure, just not players.

Correct, i guess it''s a gamble they are playing as opposed to Cardiff. If we want to stick around and carry on arguably punching above our weight, we seriously need to consider that second tier on the jarrold

Strange one, Cardiff have rarely filled the stadium they are in now, I know you get a lot of armchair fans turn up whilst in the Premiership but I still doubt they''d fill a 35k

[quote user="ellis206"]Strange one, Cardiff have rarely filled the stadium they are in now, I know you get a lot of armchair fans turn up whilst in the Premiership but I still doubt they''d fill a 35k[/quote]

As Costner said "built it and they will come" ..... .........or was it. " inside every man there is a frontier"

Cardiff will undoubtedly pick up plenty of new supporters as the novelty of being in the premiership kicks in.  That support will soon drop off as those new fans  realise that the ball is the wrong shape........................