Sign in to follow this  
Mervmeister

Villa to bid for Ruddy?

I think that paper have got our keepers mixed up. Heard Villa were after Jed Steer as backup when Given goes. No reason to sign Ruddy, Guzan won their player of the season last year and seemed to be constantly praised by Lambo. Ruddy wouldn''t go anywhere to be 2nd choice, let alone Villa and it would also go against Villa''s buy young and cheap policy.

[quote user="RonnieCorbet"]I think that paper have got our keepers mixed up. Heard Villa were after Jed Steer as backup when Given goes. No reason to sign Ruddy, Guzan won their player of the season last year and seemed to be constantly praised by Lambo. Ruddy wouldn''t go anywhere to be 2nd choice, let alone Villa and it would also go against Villa''s buy young and cheap policy.[/quote]

This. FACT

[quote user="AJ"][quote user="RonnieCorbet"]I think that paper have got our keepers mixed up. Heard Villa were after Jed Steer as backup when Given goes. No reason to sign Ruddy, Guzan won their player of the season last year and seemed to be constantly praised by Lambo. Ruddy wouldn''t go anywhere to be 2nd choice, let alone Villa and it would also go against Villa''s buy young and cheap policy.
[/quote] This. FACT[/quote]

And Norwich slap a price tag of £50mil on Ruddy, Fact

That''s not a fact though, you''d be lucky to get 5m for a standard keeper these days.

The only fact here is Villa aren''t interested.

But if you want a back up Given is available

[quote user="AJ"]That''s not a fact though, you''d be lucky to get 5m for a standard keeper these days.

But if you want a back up Given is available[/quote]The amount of money given to each club in the Premier League increases, transfer fees for players has been increasing substantially over the last decade or so, and yet this results in it being "lucky to get £5m for a standard keeper"? [:S]For the record, I think most of the reason as to why there haven''t been many GK''s who have been transferred for a fee of over £10m across the world is because the majority of goalkeepers are either purchased young, come through the youth ranks or quite simply don''t play at all. For instance Arsenal bought Szczesny for a nominal fee when he joined from Legia Warsaw at a young age, the likes of Casillas and Valdés came through the youth ranks at their respective clubs and then you have to remember that there can only be one registered goalkeeper per team on the pitch at any time, meaning that the chances may well be reduced, particularly when compared to outfield positions (for instance, a CM may be able to deputise at DM or AMC). This means that the first-11 goalkeeping personnel for many clubs is relatively consistent - how many PL teams appear to have changed their first choice goalie for the upcoming season? I can only think of Fulham (Stekelenburg) at the moment.

[quote user="AJ"]That''s not a fact though, you''d be lucky to get 5m for a standard keeper these days.

But if you want a back up Given is available[/quote]

If we are going to be pedantic here then there are no facts. Unless you are Lambert, you cannot know whether Villa are interested or not.

What you express is your opinion not a fact. 

Further to what Ciderkidd says, it seems there are less transfers for goalies because there are less of them. But fees for ''keepers are often quite large. (According to Transfermarkt.co.uk) Lloris joined Spurs for £11mill. As mentioned above Craig Gordon moved to Sunderland not too long ago for £9mill. De Gea cost Man U £17.5mill. Cech cost Chelsea £11.5mill. Ben Foster moved for £6.2mill. Reina joined Liverpool for £8.6mill.So they don''t move much, but when they do they can go for big fees. The world record is apparently Buffon to Juve for £47.5mill.Ruddy therefore must be worth at least what De Gea is worth. I''d much rather see Ruddy in between the sticks too.

If Thibaut Courtois is worth close to £10M for chelsea to loan him out, then I would consider an experienced John Ruddy to be at least £10M.

[quote user="nu_matik"]If Thibaut Courtois is worth close to £10M for chelsea to loan him out, then I would consider an experienced John Ruddy to be at least £10M.[/quote]Just to clarify, you think Ruddy is worth more and ''more experienced'' than Thibaut Courtois, the ''keeper who''s been first choice at Athletico Madrid for 2 years, getting rave reviews last season in the team that finished 3rd in La Liga, and won the Copa del ray. Not to mention about a dozen caps for Belgium.

We are in no need to sell and would need offers of £20 million to even consider them. We are signing players like RVW for 8.5 million when Vile are having to resort to bargains. On the other hand, Vile couldn''t look at much of a value for Benteke who, after all, is just a standard striker who''s only had a decent half season in the Premiership.

Yes, Ghost of Theoklitis, I do mean the more experienced John Ruddy who has played for 12 clubs and is 5 years older. Ruddy is one of the best keepers in the league and I wouldnt say that Thibault is on the top 5 in the league, even though he is obviously a very bright prospect. Do you think the youngster would be a first team starter for any of the top 10 clubs in the prem?

There is no chance that a club will bid more than £10 million for Ruddy and to suggest that he is worth more than De Gea was is ludicrous. Ruddy is a great goalkeeper for a mid-table Premier League club but not top club would come looking for him

nu_matik, I think Courtois could start in almost any club in the world. He is very almost as good as Cech

Well I never said more than £10M.. I would say £10m or more like £8m is fair enough at this point, if he becomes an England regular in the next few years that will add a few more on.

I think £8 million would be about right if a club really wanted him, I don''t think that we would accept but that might depend on if Ruddy wanted to move.

He is the same age as Joe Hart and I don''t see him being anymore than Hart''s understudy unfortunately. Hart didn''t play well this season in my opinion but seems to perform well for England

Yeah, I would think Hart would have to suffer injury / serious loss of form coupled with the opposite on Ruddys side for Ruddy to have a good run in the England side, but I stick by the 8-10M tag.. Thats being realistic, but I wouldnt be shocked to see NCFC double that, as you pointed out we are no need to sell, and even takign money into consideration, I cant see Ruddy wanting to leave us just yet.

[quote user="nu_matik"]Yes, Ghost of Theoklitis, I do mean the more experienced John Ruddy who has played for 12 clubs and is 5 years older. Ruddy is one of the best keepers in the league and I wouldnt say that Thibault is on the top 5 in the league, even though he is obviously a very bright prospect. Do you think the youngster would be a first team starter for any of the top 10 clubs in the prem?[/quote]Yes. No doubt. I''d even wager it will only be a year, two at the most before he''s starting for Chelsea ahead of Chech.

[quote user="grdean"]There is no chance that a club will bid more than £10 million for Ruddy and to suggest that he is worth more than De Gea was is ludicrous. Ruddy is a great goalkeeper for a mid-table Premier League club but not top club would come looking for him[/quote]

I presume that should read "no top club would come looking for him".   Are you serious?  Why the hell not.  How many better keepers are there in the Prem next season.  Chech certainly, De Gea and Lloris perhaps.  Howard on his day.  Beyond that there is no one better.  Reina is in decline, Foster and all the Arsenal keepers are suspect and Mignolet and Guznan are not as good in my view.

If Arsenal had had a keeper of Ruddy''s quality over the last three years, they would have won trophies.

Ruddy is a Champions League quality keeper.  On his current path of development, he will be the best player we have produced and sold on since Ron Davies. 

I agree about Rudddys talent and worth... My point other point being that the Level of skill in La Liga is not as across the board as The Premiership. There are about 5/6 good teams that would do ok in the premiership so keepers like Courtois obviously stand out, such as making 820 minutes of clean sheets.

[quote user="grdean"]There is no chance that a club will bid more than £10 million for Ruddy and to suggest that he is worth more than De Gea was is ludicrous. Ruddy is a great goalkeeper for a mid-table Premier League club but not top club would come looking for him[/quote]You are joking aren''t you? Man United payed way over the top for De Gea, just because he came with a 17.5m price tag, doesn''t mean he is worth that.For the little amount of work that De Gea and Joe Hart have to do compared to the likes of Ruddy etc they make a ridiculous amount of errors. I struggle to remember the last mistake Ruddy made in the premier league, you could probably think of 4 each this season from De Gea and Joe Hart. For what its worth, I believe Ruddy to be better than Hart, his only problem is he plays for Norwich and not a super rich team (didn''t use the word big because City have always been about our size in terms of fanbases etc).I also believe that Begovic of Stoke is the stand out keeper in the league at the moment 

And if my name was McNally I''d tell Vile to go and play with the traffic on the Aston Expressway I.E, F.....OFF

Guzan is an incredible keeper. They wouldn''t sign a player as good as Ruddy and expect him to sit on the bench. The player wouldn''t want it and neither would we. No chance.