Sign in to follow this  
Surfbird

Kyle Naughton coming back with Livermore?

Don''t really see why we need another RB and is Livermore any better than what we already have? They''d bothhave to be included in the 25 man rule, for me it would be a waste of 2 gaps in the squad. KN is a good player, but Whittaker and Martin are very capable of performing well. Not for me

I heard we were interested in Livermore but as a purchase rather than a loan. Quite frankly I would see loans for both these players as stifling our development.

Prefer to buy them, both excellent players. I think Livermore is underrated and could develop into a top player

Getting Naughton back would bu huge. I thought the guy was class when he was last with us, my standout player at the back that season. I would be surprised though as he played a far few games for Spurs this season.
I''m not really sure what''s going on at Spurs, reports seem to suggest AVB wants to let half the team go. They don''t have the biggest squad so unless they are really going to sign 7-8 players this summer I really don''t see him letting go of Naughton, Defoe, Dawson, Sigursson, Dempsey and the other 10 players who have been told they can leave, but who knows, the fiasco with Craig Dawson last summer was comedy, perhaps we will see it again this summer but with more players

[quote user="ryanncfc"]Don''t really see why we need another RB and is Livermore any better than what we already have? They''d bothhave to be included in the 25 man rule, for me it would be a waste of 2 gaps in the squad. KN is a good player, but Whittaker and Martin are very capable of performing well. Not for me[/quote]
That''s interesting Ryan, i''m not sure i agree. I do rate both Whittaker and Martin but i honestly think we need an improvement with both FBs this season or next. Martin is a great player to have in the team, he has his weaknesses but he''s a player who seems well aware of them. I think he''s a better CB than FB as he isn''t the quickest FB you''ll ever see but his positioning sense is brilliant for a CB. Whittaker i think is better going forward but perhaps more of a liability when defending. Either way i think Naughton is definitely a step up on both players, and still very young, and surely we should always be looking to improve the first 11 if we can? Bringing Naughton in could also mean we don''t need to sign a LB, both him and Whittaker are very versatile.

We would have to buy one, as you can only have 1 loan max from a premier league club (same one at least).

ie we could get say Van Persie and Naughton but not 2 from the same club

Both good players, but agree, at this stage we should be coming into our own in terms of signing permanent players. Saying that, I''d take Naughton back on loan for the season, but I''d be surprised if Spurs let him go now that Assou-Ekotto is leaving

Happy with both of those as purchases rather than loans.  We all know about Naughton and Livermore has the potential to be a very good player, both need games if they are going to develop into their potential and they wont get that much at Spurs.

[quote user="ryanncfc"]Don''t really see why we need another RB[/quote]

Kyle Naughton is a left back now......   Hence why we''re trying to get him on loan,  as cover for Garrido.

Don''t see the point in using loan players as ''cover''; both would certainly strengthen our squad but as purchases not loans.

Christ! What a day.

Now on to football!

Kyle Naughton on loan (with view to perm perhaps?) represents good business to me.

Hughton confirmed last season that he tried to get him back here, but Spurs wanted too much for him and were unwilling to let him go on loan again. That situation has obviously changed with Spurs looking for new players in the full-back positions.

If true, it also reveals Hoots intentions. As many have wanted for a while now (and I am now not averse to the idea), it would mean that Russell Martin is now considered more a CB than a RB. Naughton, though he can play LB and had mainly been deployed there last season by Spurs, is a RB by preference (I don''t care what anyone says to the contrary).

So, we''d have Naughton and Whittaker fighting it out for RB - one is smaller and rapid, the other more physically imposing (I''d imagine we have something similar in mind for LB, esp. if the rumours about Elderson Echiéjilé are true).

Livermore, funnily enough, I see as less likely for a number of reasons. Mostly due to the fact that we are alone mentioned in connection with Naughton, but in competition with others for Livermore... almost like we were added on to the list of clubs that are genuinely interested to make the story more interesting.

Kyle Naughton is not a left back now.  He merely fills in that position for Spuds as it''s the only viable entry for him into the team.  Kyle Walker is virtually an ever present at RB so options very limited for him on that side.

As he''s right-footed, Naughton tends to come inside at LB, which isn''t always ideal, particular from a more attack minded position.  He was far more effective going forwards, both his runs and crosses, from RB as opposed to LB.

In addition, he is defensively more weaker at LB as he has to tackle with his "wrong foot". 

RB is definately is preferred position and could be one reason why he want to leave Spurs.  Get him in would release R Martin into one of the CB berths, whilst also filling in at RB during Naughton''s absence, negating the requirement for any further CB purchases.

Kyle Naughton is not a left back now.  He merely fills in that position for Spuds as it''s the only viable entry for him into the team.  Kyle Walker is virtually an ever present at RB so options very limited for him on that side.

As he''s right-footed, Naughton tends to come inside at LB, which isn''t always ideal, particular from a more attack minded position.  He was far more effective going forwards, both his runs and crosses, from RB as opposed to LB.

In addition, he is defensively more weaker at LB as he has to tackle with his "wrong foot". 

RB is definately is preferred position and could be one reason why he want to leave Spurs.  Get him in would release R Martin into one of the CB berths, whilst also filling in at RB during Naughton''s absence, negating the requirement for any further CB re-inforcements.

[quote user="flecky76"]

Kyle Naughton is not a left back now.  He merely fills in that position for Spuds as it''s the only viable entry for him into the team.  Kyle Walker is virtually an ever present at RB so options very limited for him on that side.As he''s right-footed, Naughton tends to come inside at LB, which isn''t always ideal, particular from a more attack minded position.  He was far more effective going forwards, both his runs and crosses, from RB as opposed to LB.

In addition, he is defensively more weaker at LB as he has to tackle with his "wrong foot". RB is definately is preferred position and could be one reason why he want to leave Spurs.  Get him in would release R Martin into one of the CB berths, whilst also filling in at RB during Naughton''s absence, negating the requirement for any further CB purchases.

[/quote]i tend to disagree with your assessment. in my playing days i was that man. a right footed left back. i found it easier to tackle at LB than i did when, occasionally, i played RB. it may just be me and my style though.

[quote user="flecky76"]

RB is definately is preferred position and could be one reason why he want to leave Spurs.  Get him in would release R Martin into one of the CB berths, whilst also filling in at RB during Naughton''s absence, negating the requirement for any further CB re-inforcements.

[/quote]

Good post - it all makes sense

These rumours are making my head spin now,  oh, and Naughton would be a huge capture for us. [Y]

Bringing Naughton in would definately suggest to me that Martin is being considered as a CB now. Guess that would mean we won''t be signing a CB, and we get an upgrade at RB. Not too bad

I''m fairly unsure about Livermore.

Snoddy''s Jockstrap

Livermore is absolutely terrible, even if he does look like a long-lost son of Chrissy Hughton. Would much rather have Huddlestone.

Tangy:

A Tottenham season ticket holder friend of mine doesn''t rate Livermore and thinks Huddlestone is too slow.

For me he should have been in our top three players of last season, how fox got it is beyond me. Naughton stood out, and was an upgrade at right back.

I would be very happy to see him return.