Sign in to follow this  
PurpleCanary

So much for levvelling the playing-field...

West Ham manager Sam Allardyce on April 15, 2013:“So, in one fell swoop the financial restrictions [Financial Fair Play] mean Andy Carroll can’t sign

for us from Liverpool because it’s too expensive, even if he wanted to. Even if

I wanted him, even if the chairmen wanted him, even if we all wanted him – which

we do – it will not be allowed to happen.”June 19, 2013:Andy Carroll is looking forward to a bright future with West Ham after completing a permanent move to the east London club. The striker spent last season on loan at Upton Park from Liverpool and passed a medical on Tuesday before putting pen to paper on a six-year, £100,000-a-week deal which could be extended by a further two years.

Not to mention West Hams claims during the Olympic Stadium bid fiasco/negotiations that they could only afford to put £20m into converting the stadium.

That deal was a disgrace. They will no doubt make more than £20m from developing Upton Park alone.

If levelling the playing field means we pay 100k a week for Andy Carroll can we stay running uphill please?

What a huge waste of money.

100 grand a week! 100 carrots a week would be more appropriate for that donkey!

[quote user="ABC A Basingstoke Canary"]Purple, how in your opinion was the playing field skewed? Could it be an infraction of the FFP rules?[/quote]

ABC, one would need to know much more about West Ham''s finances, now and for the next three seasons. There is for 2013-14 a limit on wages of £52m. Exceed that and you are theoretically restricted to an extra £4m per season thereafter. But the £52m limit only applies to TV money. Raise extra money through ticket sales or sponsorship and it seems you can break the wage cap with impunity. It is a fair guess that if West Ham are paying Carroll that kind of money (even if £100, 000 is an exaggeration) then its wage bill will be above. £52m. Ours was around £37m in 2012-13 and we were certainly not paying Grant Holt that kind of money then.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Not to mention West Hams claims during the Olympic Stadium bid fiasco/negotiations that they could only afford to put £20m into converting the stadium.

That deal was a disgrace. They will no doubt make more than £20m from developing Upton Park alone.[/quote]

@Jim - even though its the armpit of the east end, the "wealth" if spreading out to the far east pretty rapidly. £20m for redeveloping Upton Park? I reckon you''d be closer if you put another "0" on the end of that figure.

Don''t disagree Spencer although think £200m profit probably a touch ambitious.

Fact is that as much as it might be claimed that finding a tenant for the stadium was great for the taxpayer they let West Ham get away with a ridiculously good deal, especially when you add in the "loan" from Newham. For a premier league football club to be subsidised so heavily by the taxpayer and then be spending this sort of money on a (s**t) player tells you everything about how all sense goes out the window when it comes to football!

Just means they are more spent up now. They did just get shot of Carlton Cole.

I actually prefer Holt to Carroll, i''m not convinced by him, not for £100k a week anyway.

West Ham will struggle next year.

A good player, but never worth that sort of money. More than happy with RVW for the transfer fee and wages, I bet he scores more too. I think west ham could struggle next season...