Sign in to follow this  
TheMarshmallowMan

Should we buy a striker...

...in case Deano leaves in January?

Okay, let''s say we buy Freddy Eastwood. With a bit of reserve team action, and playing in cup fixtures and such like, we keep him lean and keen. Then, if the unthinkable happens, and we loose Ashton in the January window, we have a fit and able replacement in Eastwood (or whoever, I''m simply hypothesising).

I don''t think he''ll go if we''re top 4 around Christmas.IF (and thats a big IF) we arent pushing for the top two, or at least the playoffs, he may well go.But even then, i doubt Worthy would let him go for anything less that 6mil, so if any club is willing to pay that for him so we''d have a nice amount to get another striker in then.I think it would be wrong to buy someone now with the view "well Ashton will leave, so there is his replacement when he does"

yes i think we do need to.

we have 3 top strikers at the club and with svensson 3/4''s on his way that leaves us with 2.

2 top strikers is not enough

we def. need another striker

jonson is capable... i think hux is a better threat when feeding off the front men... but of course we need another

if one got injured (esp. ashton) for a long period of time we would find it very difficult to stay at the top

goals win you games... we def. need another striker

as with all key posn. you need competition... 3 players for the two centre backs, midfield and forward

currently...

we have doc and shackell for centreback

likely to be just safri, with francis moving on

ashton, mckenzie so we need another

Yeah that''s the way, keep em keen by buying them and sticking them in the reserves, only letting them out to be unleashed in two cup games

Is this a joke post? I like some other people on this board watched Freddy Eastwood play in the play offs. He is a very good player in the league hes just been, however I personally don''t think he is good enough for what we are looking for. As for him replacing Ashton, lets sell one of the best strikers in the country and replace him with a player who last year was playing non league, no way!!! If we sell Ashton then we should splash half the money on another proven forward. Anyway, the way we play we have really, really needed a target man since Iwan got old. Finally we get a good one and if he goes we will need another player of the same type to replace him not Freddy Eastwood as he is not that type of player.

Replacing Ashton will be exceptionally difficult, however much we could dream of spending. He has been a magnificent addition, even if we reach the promised land of Premiership stability his class of striker (especially at the price we paid) will be extremely difficult to find again. I would rate his potential as high as Shearer, if Beattie is worth £6m and Crouch £5m (as muted in the recent press) what price to replace Ashton? 

If we sell Ashton in January we might get up to £6m for him; if we can keep him, get promoted and he fulfills the potential a lot of us see he will be worth at least twice that figure in the years to come. There is no way we could replace that now as a Championship team.

Whilst we only have one Ashton, we do have a lot of strikers (or players who can fill in) at the club right now;

Ashton, McKenzie, Hendo, Jarvis, with Jonsson, Hucks, Docherty (though IMO he should partner Shacks in defence) also able to play up there - I am presuming Matty will go.

I don''t see Eastwood as being better than Hendo or Jarvis (both regular England youth players), so why take the risk on him or others like him? Lets give our existing youth players a chance first, and ship them out if they aren''t up to it so we all know where we stand. Worthy should focus on midfield as a priority for this summer''s transfers.

If you take into account the strikers we have at present: Ashton-capable of being the championships top scorer.

Mckenzie-can get a substantial amount of goals next season.

Jarvis-a player with great potential who needs to be able to produce sometime.

Doherty-the player who I think represents a replacement for Svensson, is capable in the air as a target man,but looks shaky at the back.

Adding to this we have striking options in Henderson who must have something about him to play for any England side,Jonson a so called international forward by some on this board and Huckerby who can destroy championship defences. We can also dip into the loan market if we get desperate, but I dont think we will need to, instead we need to concerntrate on getting defenders and midfeilders in and not strikers.

IMO we definitely need a new striker as Sven will leave.  When he does we will only have two players who play in that position- Ashton and McKenzie. Hucks plays on the left and Jonson plays on the right.  I really don''t think Hendo or Jarvis are good enough.  A club looking at promotion can''t have just TWO out and out strikers on their books.  It would be ludicrous