Sign in to follow this  
jedi

Hoolahan

From that post Lavanche, any outsider would think we''d got a Ballon D''or player on our hands and wondering how on earth we''d ever kept hold of him when down in League One...To compare Hoolahan to either Giggs or Robben (even if it''s just a comparison regarding their preference for a using a certain foot), is going OTT, and unless I''ve missed some major information at some point, we''ve NEVER had a strong and serious offer for Wes'' services, which is surely odd considering the pedestal you''re putting him on - no?Wes has been a great player for us, and he really can make things happen with his guile and passing at times, but at other times he''s completely ineffective, and he has ALWAYS struggled to provide a genuine goal threat - something that players like Giggs and Robben have NEVER struggled with...There is a genuine gulf in class between the very best and what we have in our squad, and that''s not intended as a slight to our current players, but the honest truth is that we couldn''t afford the very best, or keep hold of them if we did get them.If we genuinely want to improve on our existing squad, then we have to accept that some of our players need to move on to acheive this, and if the interest is there in players like Hoolahan or Holt and the deal is good enough, then we shouldn''t be put off by it, or living on past glories as part of the decision making process either...

I used to criticise Hoolahan a lot as a one footed pirouette merchant, but he has impressed me  through his peformances this last season.   When the team plays at his best he is usually in there and contributing well.    Wes will undoubtedly feature again next season, but if we find a play maker who can do the job better - maybe Howson may take his place if he carries on the way he finished - or Toivenen if he arrives - his chances may be limited. 

I never said he is good as Giggs nor Robben. For some reason people stated that being one footed makes player poor and there is 2 quite well known players that can use only their left foot. There would be few hundred well known players that can only use their right foot...

He isnt godlike, but he is important for us at the moment and his job in current tactic isnt make a goals. It is (as I stated) MAKE ROOM for other players.

You can keep thinking where you will get a player who happily sits on the bench 50% of the matches with his under 30k wage per week and you will sit there for next summer thinking that.

There is only handful of teams who can keep two world class players on the bench and we are hardly in bunch of those who can compete for a hanful of world class players in the starting line up.

You probably wont find a better substitute and it will be even hard to find clearly better starter for us than what Hoolahan is.

So my point isnt that Hoolahan is our single most important player next season. It is that we would be idiots to sell him and not keep him for depht as he can provide us something that most players cant in our price range.

We are not watching Football Manager, we are dealing with real life situation,

And I have by the way stated whole season that our primary target next season should be good playmaking CAM, even thought I rate Wes.

LDC: Toivonen isnt a playmaker and wouldnt fit in the same role Wes is playing, So before we have other playmaker in team I''m quite sure he will get quite many chances as Howson isn''t a playmaker either. Thought I agree that Hoolahan is in best case scenario impact player / tactical player next season.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]If we genuinely want to improve on our existing squad, then we have to accept that some of our players need to move on to acheive this, and if the interest is there in players like Hoolahan or Holt and the deal is good enough, then we shouldn''t be put off by it, or living on past glories as part of the decision making process either...
[/quote]

The key point there is "If we genuinely want to improve our existing squad....." How on earth can anyone seriously consider Hooper an improvement on Holt & Hoolahan? In what areas could he possibly be considered an improvement. Does he have the leadership qualities of a Grant Holt? Does he have the guile and wizardry of a Wes Hoolahan?

This has nothing to do with Hooper''s ability - he may well be a late starter - but to look at some of the hysteria surrounding the "non signing" of him in January, one would think it was an RVP clone we were bidding for! And now that Trappatoni has FINALLY seen Hoolahan''s value it seems incomprehensible that one wants to part exchange him for someone who has never graced the upper eschelons of English football.

With regards to the comparison you made earlier re Holt - when we bought him, it was a straight purchase - not an international player exchange

The problem being improving on Hoolahan is going to be a very expensive purchase. To get someone of Hoolahan''s ability but with extra pace and a greater goal threat is a small pond that everyone is fishing in.

Wes isn''t the greatest ever player but even now I can''t think who we could replace him with for a reasonable sum. It''s going to cost similar to the RVW level to improve on and not just replace him.

Wes and Holty should both stay in my opinion. Wes is our most creative midfield player. Holt is our talisman. I''ll say it quietly but if we have four functional strikers next season we might start it - tactics wise - how we ended last.