Sign in to follow this  
jedi

Hoolahan

Lol!

He''s already wasted too many seasons of his career playing in League One, why would he want to play that standard of football again?

Also, don''t Celtic have some sort of policy of only buying players under 25, developing them and selling them on for a profit? Or alternatively, buying players under 25, developing them and overpricing them and getting stuck with them until their contract runs out.

@TransferTweeter: Celtic close to agreeing a deal with Norwich for Wes Hoolahan. #celticfc #ncfc

This was the tweet and tweeter, I''m not clued up on who''s reliable and not, personally I''d say its rubbish but who knows.

Why should we be willing to do any business with them after they were so unreasonable in January with Hooper and the asking price.

I dont think they tend to buy older players - however beyond the spine of Ruddy, Seb, Pilks and snodgrass all of our players are available at the right price - but that is likely to be over the odds and so a deterrent.

Even more so those 30+ - the chances of securing a fee diminish fast and we can probably replace well now.

I dont see this one happening - but can see some surprises coming yet!

They will need to sell Hooper for something silly if they think they can afford Hoolhan. Doubt it''s true

Hooper for Wes and Holty?!

Not a chance!

I can''t see Wes leaving, he''s happy here, got himself in the Ireland squad by playing will in the Prem - I doubt he''d see Celtic as place of interest

My first thoughts were that Gary Hooper wasn''t far away from such a deal, if there is an iota of truth in the rumour.

Quite a big coincidence otherwise. We seem to have an on-going dialogue with Celtic about signing one of their players, who just happens to want away.

Out of the blue, Celtic target one of our ageing stars who is probably likely to be in less demand by his manager for the coming season. 

I, personally, would like one more season from both Hoolahoop and Holt for the sake of continuity and the valid contribution that both are still capable of making on the pitch. Probably the former more than the latter.

However if they can be used as bargaining tools to acquire players the manager sees as our future, then why not?

Their respective value plummets by the month after all.

Interesting stuff, probably fanciful. 

if we are not targeting players better than either Hoolahan or Holt then our transfer policy needs over hauling. i don''t believe this rumour is true, but it could make sense.

[quote user="AJ"]Hooper for Wes and Holty?![/quote]From a financial perspective it''s probably about right.We''d be lucky to get more than 2mil for Holt on the back of last season and his age, and similarly we couldn''t ask more for Wes also considering his age and the price we paid for people like Snoddy etc.Value wise, they''re worth probably 5mil together at the very most (market value that is), and that''s likely to be the sort of figure Celtic are going to want for Hooper, so purely on the financial side it makes a certain degree of sense.No comment regarding any other side of a possible swap deal however...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="AJ"]Hooper for Wes and Holty?![/quote]
From a financial perspective it''s probably about right.

We''d be lucky to get more than 2mil for Holt on the back of last season and his age, and similarly we couldn''t ask more for Wes also considering his age and the price we paid for people like Snoddy etc.

Value wise, they''re worth probably 5mil together at the very most (market value that is), and that''s likely to be the sort of figure Celtic are going to want for Hooper, so purely on the financial side it makes a certain degree of sense.

No comment regarding any other side of a possible swap deal however...
[/quote]

I am willing to be proved wrong, BUT, since when did an ex Scunthorpe (and ex Southend, and ex Orient, and ex Hereford) player command such "respect" that some on here are willing to pay £squillions for his services? He may have been successful at Celtic (wow!) but he was hardly a prolific goalscorer during their CL games.

Why oh why has everyone got such an obsession with this guy? Is it because Celtic put such a high price tag on him that people think "he must be worth it if they are asking so much money for him"? I have no problem on taking a chance with someone (ala Grant Holt) but this level of player swop / money is absolutely insane

[quote user="ABC - A Basingstoke Canary"]I am willing to be proved wrong, BUT, since when did an ex Scunthorpe (and ex Southend, and ex Orient, and ex Hereford) player command such "respect" that some on here are willing to pay £squillions for his services? He may have been successful at Celtic (wow!) but he was hardly a prolific goalscorer during their CL games[/quote]Since when did an ex-tyre fitter who player for Barrow, Rochdale and Shrewsbury who we paid 400k, for command such "respect" that people were willing to pay £squillions for his services?It could easily be argued that until Holt''s first season in the prem, he''d done NOTHING at a high level, never mind actually do anything against CL sides..The Scottish prem is clearly NOT the best league in the world, nor the best stage to showcase your talent, but he''s clearly done enough in those games to make Hughton et al think he''s good enough for this level.

[quote]Why oh why has everyone got such an obsession with this guy?[/quote]

I personally don''t give a damn either way about Hooper (I think there''s better talent on the continent tbh), but if he CAN step up to this level and do so in a move that costs us NOTHING from a transfer fee perspective as well as moving on a couple of our ageing players (even if they are still good and can offer something to the squad), then I think it''s a reasonable option to consider.

Unless Toivonen or another player comes in, the only option for the heart of a 4-2-3-1 would be Butterfield, and I can''t see that happening. This is nonsense, IMO.

How can you call Holt''s value £2m?! On a ''bad'' season, he scored 8, which is more than Jelavic, Welbeck, Carroll, Bent to name but a few. He''s also what about 31, since when was that over the hill? Sheringham was going when he was 40!

We would seriously regret letting Holt leave until a proper replacement has proven himself worthy of taking over the mantle.

Should RVW or another striker (maybe even Morris) have a good season, then maybe it''s time for Holt to move, but to me he is still one of if not our most important players.

As for Wes leaving, unless we have Honda lined up or some other classy multi million pound AM, then again, i think it''s too soon to dispose of Wes. Again, such an important player needs to stay until a proven replacement has been embedded.

Am I the only one who would not really miss Wes if he did leave?

Don''t get me wrong he is a good player and has ben superb for us over the past few seasons, but there comes a point where the club need to move on and I''m pretty sure that Hughton would have someone line up should Wes decide to take up a new challenge.

Is Wes that important to us? On his day he''s one of the best in his position, is he consistant enough for another season at this level? Is Howson the key man for next year? Or Butterfield the player we all want him to be when fit? We do have options.

As for the value of any player well that''s down to a number of things, one the selling club, two the buying club, any set buyout clause, player wanting to leave forcing a sale and so on...........

We might not miss him, in fact i''d probably say we wouldn''t, but why sew the seed of doubt in there and sell him before we have signed and embedded a suitable replacement. He will be looking to have a massive season, help get Ireland to the World Cup and then enjoy summer in Brazil. He will be chomping at the bit to do well for us next season (plus he''ll no doubt be class again on FIFA 14!)

We would very clearly miss Wes unless we have signed a better replacement. Virtually all of our best performances in the last 4 seasons have come with him in the team. It was also no coincidence in my view that our form as a team tailed off as his did (which it admittedly did after a terrific spell during our unbeaten run) last season but then improved again towards the end when he came back into the side with refreshed energy. The main reason is that without him we can;t retain enough possession, the midfield end up sitting too deep with no easy passing options and everyone starts hoofing it. When on song Wes is the glue that knits out team together. Same with Holt really. Whenever we''ve really needed results in the last 2 seasons Hoot or Lambert have usually ended up going back to these 2 and they have delivered.

I agree that if "next level" replacements can be found and bedded in and all goes to plan then probably over the course of next season their roles in the team may diminish and they may not command a starting place but at present to get rid of one would in my view be quite a risk and getting rid of both would be a huge risk.

Such a technically gifted player, and showing no sign of age catching up with him yet. I can''t believe people are so willing to let him go, he has another good season in him at least.

Sorry but how is such a one footed player Gifted? Gifted is a player who can ue both feet to control the ball and run with the ball in all directions and not just in circles.

I would say Wes is more a class player, with vision for a killer pass as long as he uses his left peg.

Hoolahan is a very talented, but very limited player.He can only really play one role, with one foot and doesn''t offer a goalscoring threat 95% of the time despite being in a fairly advanced position.We have to make sacrifices to the team shape to accomodate him, and he isn''t getting any younger even if he''s not ''old'' as such.As for Holt ''only'' being worth 2-3 million, I don''t see how there''s a real argument there. He spent the majority of the season struggling for goals, had a highly petulant phase where he was more likely to get a red card (or arrested for GBH) than stick the ball in the net, and you can''t just pick out a couple of ''old'' strikers like Sheringham or Kevin Phillips to justify keeping an older player who''s ability may be starting to wane.Most strikers hit their peak at about 26-28, most lose their killer ability at about 32+, Holt is NOT going to get any better (or any younger) and even if he can contribute this season to some degree, he''s then likely to move on a free at the end of his contract when instead he could have been used to get another quality player in as a longer term replacement.I think Holt''s ''Legend'' status is weighing too much on some posters minds, as it was clear to see last season that all was not well with Holt, and if we can get him a move to a club he''d like to go to as well as get a decent price/player in exchange, then I''d argue this is the very best time to do so.

There should be 2 Hoopers for either Holt and Hoolahan and not the other way around.

I know they are not exiting anymore and we need to move forward...

Complete bullshit. If Holt is happy to play in that work horse role there is no better player for it in whole premier league. He might sometimes be little too exited to take opponent players down, but his job for the team is quite important and even when Wolfie takes his place as a main striker we will need players like him.

What comes to Hoolahan you can check some man named Giggs or neverheard dutch named Robben. Both completely one feeted fellows, but another one plays still in premier league''s most successful team and other one won Bayern the champions league.

Being one feeted wont make player bad and Hoolahan is at the moment most creative and when we want to win games by playing ball, most important player in our current team.

Even if we sign Messi, Silva or Mata next season, Hoolahan would be good substitute to bring depth for our team. Player who will bring that "something" in every game we play even thought he can struggle against physical opponents.

Would be madness to let these two go before we are sure their future replacements can fit their roles Pff other time fans are crying for loyalty and second time they are ditching players that are performing well in our tactics.

Even if we sign Toivonen, van Ginkel and Defour, they are not Hoolahan, who can keep the ball in very tight spots, calm our play and make so much room for other players and there is always room for player like that in a team.