Sign in to follow this  
Capt_Canary

Another Marquee Signing Needed

Like Steven Defour or Diego Capel to make people really sit up and look at us.

Van Wolfswinkle at £8.5m looks an absolute bargain in the current climate. Compare it Steven Fletcher or Matt Jarvis (both £10m+) that really was shrewd business by us.

Shame we seem to miss the boat on Van Ginkel looks good for Dutch Under-21s but he seems Chelsea/Man Utd bound but we should still try and convince him to come here.

Curtis Davies looks set to join Hull and Everton now seem interested in Redmond. Ok they are both decent enough players but do they really take us to the next level? Redmond is potential and not proven, he will take time to develop.

Even Gary Hooper ok again better than what we have but i want us to show real ambition.

Dragovic at Basel would be a massive signing, do we need a centre-back, possibly not and we could cope but again its about taking us to the next level and he is better than Micahel Turner. He looks like a potential ''Vidic'' in the making. At 22 he would have massive re-sale value.

Capel and Defour both not yet peaked in terms of age and have massive potential. They excite me. Forget the 8 players coming in, we need two or three more real quality players.

Where''s the need to replace Turner? He''s one of our best players and hardly put a foot wrong last season other than the first three games he playe for us

You can''t have more than one marquee. The whole point of using the BS word was to show that the marquee was the most valuable and the highest paid etc.

Capel and Defour were both rumours made up by bogus twitter accounts, I wouldn''t give them a second thought.

Obviously more quality needs to be added, Villa and Sunderland, both teams that finished below Norwich last season have already strengthened significantly and it is not like the rest of the teams in the Premier League aren''t going to start throwing the cash around soon. The recent news of players such as Olsson and Toivonen shows Norwich aren''t going to stand around and along with RvW these are all players I imagine will go straight into the first team.

If the fees of £3.5m for Olsson and £5m for Toivonen are correct that means the signings of those two plus RvW are all equal to and greater that the club''s previous transfer record.

I don''t think there is need to splash the £6m - £8m that would be needed to get Dragovic as Turner, Bassong, Bennett and Martin have all shown they are capable defenders in the Prem; midfield and attack are greater priorities at the moment.

Sunderland and Villa have strengthend significantly?

In what way? They''ve both signed a player or two who are in no way what so ever a guaranteed improvement. Unless I''ve missed some big signing they''ve pulled off.

We''ve strengthend more than them. RVW and Garrido on a permanent.

you can have as many marquees (tents) as you want. A Marque is a special top of the range model, originating in the automobile industry in France early last century.[;)]

[quote user="Morisons Prozac"]Where''s the need to replace Turner?  [/quote]

There is no need. He''s immense.

Players'' Player of the Season for a reason.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Sunderland and Villa have strengthend significantly? In what way? They''ve both signed a player or two who are in no way what so ever a guaranteed improvement. Unless I''ve missed some big signing they''ve pulled off. We''ve strengthend more than them. RVW and Garrido on a permanent.[/quote]

Firstly getting Garrido on a permanent isn''t strengthening is it? It''s just a continuation - the same as Villa getting Weinmann to sign a new contract.

Sunderland have brought in 5 players and Villa have 4 players. Diakite and Cabral are both good signings for Sunderland and Okore, Bacuna and Helenius are all good signings for Villa (Okore is an excellent signing). I didn''t say they had strengthened more than Norwich but more signings will be needed than just RvW if the club want to keep moving forward (an obvious statement of course).

I see people saying Norwich will get top 10 because of all the cash we are going to spend, and whilst there is no doubting the squad to start next season will be stronger than the one that finished the previous people seem to forget that all 20 teams in the league will more than likely have stronger teams come August than they did in May - this is what happens when a large amount of cash suddenly floods the league.

you can get some good marquees on eBay. not sure if that fits in with our transfer policy. someone want to tweet mcnally with this bull?

[quote user="Capt_Canary"]Van Wolfswinkle at £8.5m looks an absolute bargain in the current climate. Compare it Steven Fletcher or Matt Jarvis (both £10m+) that really was shrewd business by us.[/quote]Let me stop you right there.Whilst I''ll agree that Jarvis went for more than he is probably worth (certainly compared to similar quality players from the continent), you can''t bring Fletcher into this one.He has a proven track record at this level, and is probably one of the most underrated strikers in the whole league. Only Javier Hernandez had a better level of shot accuracy this season, and Fletcher scored the same amount goals as both Tevez and Defoe (and 3 more than Torres) did in the same amount of starts but in a MUCH worse Sunderland side with far less chances to work with.Fletcher is a classic goal poacher (much like Darren Bent) and if you give him the chances, he''ll likely convert them more often than not.I agree that RVW is a great signing and that he has the potential to be massive, but he could also flop miserably and which point the money spent on Fletcher won''t seem OTT in comparison will it?

OH GOD WE''VE ONLY SIGNED ONE PLAYER....MUST SIGN WAYNE ROONEY AND LIONEL MESSI TO SURVIVE. ARRRGHHGHGHG.

Marquee NO

Quality YES.

CH will surely add more quality to the squad before the season kicks off.

It''s frustrating not having signing after signing but I for one would rather wait for the right player instead of buying for buntings sake.

It will be a loooooooong but exciting summer as a City fan

OTBC

[quote user="Ches right hand man "]All the main signings will be at the club by the time we go out to America.[/quote]

That would be a welcome surprise. Certainly wasn''t the case last summer.

I think Villa''s ''strengthening'' will depend on whether Benteke stays or goes. If he goes, that''s a hole that Helenius isn''t going to fill, IMO. RvW replaces Chris Martin in the squad, and that is a huge strengthening. I think we will see another striker to replace Jackson coming in as well. Garrido signing is a kind of strengthening, because he''s not making the transition from Lazio this year and he knows the team now and will build on that. If Olsson or Naughton come in to replace Tierney, that will be strengthening as well. Similarly with Toivenon or Livermore in midfield taking Fox''s place. No losses, all gains.

[quote user="star_manic"]you can have as many marquees (tents) as you want. A Marque is a special top of the range model, originating in the automobile industry in France early last century.[;)][/quote]As pointed out before, I am also puzzled as to how, why and where the expression ''marque signing'' suddenly evolved into ''marquee signing''.Confusing a significantly important purchase with a large tent is mind boggling to say the least.Perhaps someone involved in the printed media business, who have now taken to using the same incorrect word, would care to explain?

I can see where Captain Canary is coming from. Apart from RvW, who was gained at a bargain price almost, most of the names we hear are certainly improvements on what we have, but none is so far a real match winner on his own.

Rightly or wrongly we seem to be going for a team approach - with good players in each position, and substitutes to back up to the same standard. That we shall need an outstanding player or two eventually, if we wish to challenge for Europe say, we surely all agree. The question is how we get there. Do we go for broke - big transfer fees and big salaries now, which is risky, or do we continue to build, seeking improvement over a few years. The club seems to have decided the latter.

I think that it is unlikely, especially if it is true that we are seeking for Livermore and Naughton on loan, that we shall make any further expensive signings. We are looking to sign a further 4 or five, it seems, and if they cost on average, say £3m, then that will exhaust the budget, I think, while leaving something for January.

I think that we tend to over-estimate how much is available for transfers. We know the rough income, but to be set against that are extra staff and building works for the enhanced academy, the new press gantry, attention to pitches, signing on fees and agent fees, higher salaries, etc. There are probably more which I have overlooked, but which are necessary to meet new regulations and compliance requirements.

Tak wrote - "Villa and Sunderland, both teams that finished below Norwich last season have already strengthened significantly..."

I think you need to get hold of a dictionary and look up the words "strengthen" and "significantly". In Villa''s case it''s more a case of hoping that a handful of cheap youngsters from Europe will come good.

I''m for the most part completely uninterested in other clubs signings, it''s not often that teams outside of the top 6 make a signing that really makes me think Wow, and to be honest that''s how it''s looking so far in amongst our little block of teams in the middle of the table. Frankly using other teams as a yard stick for what we should be doing is always a red herring, though I agree that if we expect to compete and kick on from the newly promoted teams then quality will need to come in.

This doesn''t have to be one match winner though, and to be honest I think an over dependence on one player can leave a team found out... Holts goals being an example of struggling with depending on one assest. I''m worried that the pressure on RVW might lead to the crowd getting on his back if he doesn''t get a brace in his first game.. But again I think the goal of increasing quality across the pitch will not only help ease this but also win us games. Redmond, Olson, Toivonen would certainly be steps towards an increase through out the team without one superstar being depended upon.

I''m also enjoying that we appear to be linked with a lot of attacking players.. I think we will see a different approach next season

[quote user="Orford65"][quote user="star_manic"]you can have as many marquees (tents) as you want. A Marque is a special top of the range model, originating in the automobile industry in France early last century.[;)][/quote]As pointed out before, I am also puzzled as to how, why and where the expression ''marque signing'' suddenly evolved into ''marquee signing''.Confusing a significantly important purchase with a large tent is mind boggling to say the least.Perhaps someone involved in the printed media business, who have now taken to using the same incorrect word, would care to explain?[/quote]that''s not where the expression originated.A Marquee is another term for the often illuminated sign above a cinema or theatre entrance upon which the name(s) of the star(s) would be displayed.eg.[img]http://drhguy2.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/chgo-marquee.jpg?w=960&h=958[/img][img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fc/View_of_the_Apollo_Theatre_marquee,_New_York,_N.Y.,_between_1946_and_1948_%28William_P._Gottlieb_00141%29.jpg[/img]

Also I would add all the signings and different players can come in with good scoring records etc BUT if we play the same as 70 % of the games last season will they get the chances ??? the tactics and style of play are just as important as the signings !