Sign in to follow this  
im spartacus canary

how much do pink un posters drink ?

[quote user="Nicko"]To the guy who says he drinks 3 or 4 tinnies per night then you my friend have a bit of a problem.

I try not to drink during the week, have a few bottles at the weekend though. If i drink too much i get kidney pain.[/quote]Surely though if he''s happy doing that, and you''re the one with kidney pain, you are the one with the problem?[;)]

Well the point i was trying to make is that I don''t drink too much anymore.

3/4 tinnies though - come on. That''s borderline alcoholism.

[quote user="Nicko"]Well the point i was trying to make is that I don''t drink too much anymore.

3/4 tinnies though - come on. That''s borderline alcoholism.[/quote]In my opinion, no.Frankly people make too much of this. In my opinion as long as your life isn''t being affected adversely ie constant arguing with the missus, getting up late for work, growing a massive beer gut etc, then wheres the harm?Having a few tinnies in front of the telly really is a long way from sat on a park bench drinking store brand strong cider.

In olden times everyone must have been alcoholic!  Nobody drank water because it was unsafe.  Everyone, and I do mean everyone - men, women and children drank beer!

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]I can go months without touching a drop although I do enjoy a drink when I''m in the mood.  If I was told I couldn''t have another drop for the rest of my life, it wouldn''t bother me.[/quote]Exactly the same here.In truth I think most beers taste like crap, I''m not a wine lover, and I hate the majority of spirits like Whiskey and Brandy.Sad as it may be, I''ll take an alcopop or some other non-masculine fruit cocktail selection as my drink of choice every time.Other than that I''ll stick to water or Diet Coke (and then get hacked off at constantly being asked to play ''taxi driver'' for my drunken friends).Really don''t see what all the fuss is with drinking, never bothered me - never will...

[quote user="Nicko"]Well the point i was trying to make is that I don''t drink too much anymore.

3/4 tinnies though - come on. That''s borderline alcoholism.[/quote]Seriously? How is life in the monastery?Government recommendations are (no more than) 3-4 units of alcohol a day. At 1.8 units for your average knat''s p*ss, sorry lager, 3 cans is 5.4 units, so over the limit (4 definitely is) but not wildly so, especially as the government limits are probably conservative (at least, that''s what I tell myself).The diagnosis of addiction, or specifically alcoholism, involves specific symptoms like increasing tolerance, inability to stop, dangerous behaviour and/or impact on living (for example, being late for work or performing poorly due to a hangover). Since the OP said he does have drink free nights, he''s clearly not dependent.

Used to love a Sunday session down the pub. Beer,football and chat. But my body can''t do it anymore. It takes too many days to recover so I just have a few maybe on Friday and Saturday.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]I can go months without touching a drop although I do enjoy a drink when I''m in the mood.  If I was told I couldn''t have another drop for the rest of my life, it wouldn''t bother me.[/quote]
Exactly the same here.

In truth I think most beers taste like crap, I''m not a wine lover, and I hate the majority of spirits like Whiskey and Brandy.

Sad as it may be, I''ll take an alcopop or some other non-masculine fruit cocktail selection as my drink of choice every time.

Other than that I''ll stick to water or Diet Coke (and then get hacked off at constantly being asked to play ''taxi driver'' for my drunken friends).

Really don''t see what all the fuss is with drinking, never bothered me - never will...
[/quote]

The biggest miss for me if I couldn''t have any more alcohol wouldn''t be drinking it, it''d be in cooking.  But I suppose you''re cooking out the alcohol content.  I love a red wine gravy or jus, lamb with port and redcurrant, coq au vin, etc.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Too much!

Well recently anyway. For the 4/5 weeks in Canterbury this term after deadlines gone out way too much and drank way too much. Actually been acting like a student. When I drink, I drink too much. I mix as well, I try to be manly and start with pints of larger, unless Desperados is on offer (love Spoons, 2 for £5 get in!!). Sweedish Cider also. But then I need vodka or whisky. Been drinking a lot of Southern Comfort and lemonade recently (doubles always), and if drinking at someones house before going out or something normally wine as its easy and a cheapish bottle (or two) gets the job done![/quote]Blimey Uni changed you didnt it!Despite being a student i am quite into my sports and fitness so only really ever have a couple down the pub if out with mates and very rarely have a bottle of cider if my missus wants to feel better about her drinking in the evening. If im out on the town then I can hold my drink I must admit and 60 quid disappears down a urinal very quickly.

I am an Alcoholic................

However I must add that I am a SOBER alcoholic with over 18 years continuous sobriety!   But it''s not how far away from my last drink that concernes me - it''s how close I am to my NEXT one which is always just an arms length away.

The strange thing is that I drank for exactly the same reason everybody drinks - it''s what we do!!   I was ignorant to the fact that when it comes to alcohol I am different, there is something that sets me apart as a distinct entity from normal drinkers - I have a physical sensitivity to alcohol the mormal drinker doesn''t have that gradually removed from me any ability to control the amount I would drink ONCE I STARTED TO DRINK.   This was a gradual and ever worsening aspect that after many years meant if I took a drink, the drink would take me.  

I will not bore you with drinking tales etc and I certainly would not wish to put anyone off their drinking.   Alcoholics do not hold any momopoly on drinking or even drunkeness.   I have many friends who get drunk frequently because they like it, in fact they like it a lot, but they''re not alcoholics

If anyone is worried about their drinking then cut it down - if that proves to be difficult then perhaps seeking some advice would be helpful.   In the meantime those who enjoy a tipple go on enjoying it but if it starts to cost you more than money then perhaps there is a problem

Taking advantage of the fact that I can''t be identified, I will confess to drinking 4 pints of Guinness a day. If I didn''t I would be so p****d off I would have to take some form of medication to raise my spirits. Maybe I''m wrong, but aren''t Wine and Spirits more harmful ?. I have never touched either.

[quote user="Shankslad"]

I am an Alcoholic................

However I must add that I am a SOBER alcoholic with over 18 years continuous sobriety!   But it''s not how far away from my last drink that concernes me - it''s how close I am to my NEXT one which is always just an arms length away.

The strange thing is that I drank for exactly the same reason everybody drinks - it''s what we do!!   I was ignorant to the fact that when it comes to alcohol I am different, there is something that sets me apart as a distinct entity from normal drinkers - I have a physical sensitivity to alcohol the mormal drinker doesn''t have that gradually removed from me any ability to control the amount I would drink ONCE I STARTED TO DRINK.   This was a gradual and ever worsening aspect that after many years meant if I took a drink, the drink would take me.  

I will not bore you with drinking tales etc and I certainly would not wish to put anyone off their drinking.   Alcoholics do not hold any momopoly on drinking or even drunkeness.   I have many friends who get drunk frequently because they like it, in fact they like it a lot, but they''re not alcoholics

If anyone is worried about their drinking then cut it down - if that proves to be difficult then perhaps seeking some advice would be helpful.   In the meantime those who enjoy a tipple go on enjoying it but if it starts to cost you more than money then perhaps there is a problem

[/quote]What a superbly worded reply and serves as a wonderful reminder to everyone that everybody must understand the consequences of their actions. in every sense.

Well done Shankslad! Thats a good effort and your outlook is spot on, keep up the good work :)

3/4 tinnies though - come on. That''s borderline alcoholism.[/quote]

Is he having a laugh?. If he was supplementing them with half a bottle of whiskey each time maybe.

This reminds me of a talk I went to recently on road traffic offences.

The question inevitably came up of how much it is safe to drink and drive and the speaker said "the limit is 80mg alcohol per 100ml of blood"  [or something like this] and when someone said "how can you tell?" she said "exactly - the only way to be safe is not to drink before you drive".

Also I didn''t realise that if you are stopped for drink driving, it is an automatic 12 month ban plus a fine and possibly prison.

So in the past I might have thought that it was ok to drink after a pint or a couple of glasses of wine, now I limit it stricly to a half, or one small glass of wine

Oh, and apparently it is also true that you can have a heavy night and still be over the limit the following morning.

From 16 to 28 years old I served in the Royal Navy, that was a complete booze up, sloshed every night ashore and plenty of tins at sea.After leaving the senior service, that all changed, can''t say I''ve been drunk for over 15 years but I do have about one tin of lager most nights.Please drink sensibly, as we are always being told.

Hardly drink at all these days.   Usually have to drive to get anywhere and very rarely will have even one drink if I am driving.    The only problem is that as a result, if I occasionally ever do have too much, at a do or at home, the alcohol has more effect the next day - hangovers seem ten times worse than they used to [:S].  

[quote user="nu_matik"]... cant think of anywhere you can get 4 pints for a tenner let alone 5,[/quote]Mulbarton Social Club!

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Too much! Well recently anyway. For the 4/5 weeks in Canterbury this term after deadlines gone out way too much and drank way too much. Actually been acting like a student. When I drink, I drink too much. I mix as well, I try to be manly and start with pints of larger, unless Desperados is on offer (love Spoons, 2 for £5 get in!!). Sweedish Cider also. But then I need vodka or whisky. Been drinking a lot of Southern Comfort and lemonade recently (doubles always), and if drinking at someones house before going out or something normally wine as its easy and a cheapish bottle (or two) gets the job done![/quote]

Brings back a few memories (almost). Would it have been easier to say what you don''t drink?

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="city-till-i-die"]To much.....but feck it.....only here once[/quote][Y][/quote]

Good job some posters do not see your Facebook antics Graham ! [:D]

[/quote]My Facebook antics are the least of my worries after a few ciders on a Saturday night [;)]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="city-till-i-die"]To much.....but feck it.....only here once[/quote]
[Y]
[/quote]

Good job some posters do not see your Facebook antics Graham ! [:D]

[/quote]
My Facebook antics are the least of my worries after a few ciders on a Saturday night [;)]
[/quote]

It is the company you keep Graham. As for me i just like a few quiet beers and a couple of vodkas before heading home for MOTD as believe it or not i find the 2 Alan''s and even Mark Lawrenson  far more attractive than the trouble and situations you get into on Prince of Wales Road. [;)]

[quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"]On average, half a bottle of red wine a night.Shiraz or Rioja preferred.  Cabernet Sauvignon tolerated.Recommendations welcome.[/quote]
Can suggest this one -

Houghton Cabernet Sauvignon Shiraz 75cl £9.99 Tescos

I kid you not.

Brought to you by the finest wine management team in the drinks business, one of the top eleven wine makers in its field. This wine is a young vintage - less than twelve months old -  half way through the bottle it becomes a little hard work, but persevere and towards the end of the bottle the flavour improves considerably - and the aftertaste is superb.   It has some critics, most of  whom know very little about wine.    It is said that next years wine will be a lot better than this one with improved flavouring and a more expensive aroma.    The company apologises for the mispelling of the name, but Clive in quality control was away in Sweden when this slipped through, looking at some fancy new grapes he has heard of which he thinks will add to the quality of next years wine.    His deputy, has been sacked for doing too much work on his ipad instead of using a proper computer.

[quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"]On average, half a bottle of red wine a night.Shiraz or Rioja preferred.  Cabernet Sauvignon tolerated.Recommendations welcome.

[/quote]

I assume all these beverages posters have listed are in addition to the Champagnes we all drink? As to recommending a red, Chops, the best white wine I have tasted is the Santa Cruz Chardonnay from the Ridge Vineyard in California. Sadly only one bottle left now. But I see they do a 2007 Monte Bello Cabernet Sauvignon. If it is as good as the Chardonnay then it''s a snip at $160 a bottle. I hope that is helpful.