Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Top six finish

Eleventh last season and the league looks less daunting than it did last Hull, Crystal Palace, Sunderland etc, second year of development under Hughton - and looking at the fixture list, aiming for the top six finish looks realistic.  We will have to be well clear of bottom three by the last five or six games in any case - and if we are anywhere near the top six by then, we will be confident to push on - and with the fixtures we have at the end -we will have one heck of an end to the season.  

Now I''m an optimistic fellow who think''s we will finish about 10th or 11th, but what I just read was a joke.

This has got to be a joke haha.

I would LIKE top half, we will GET mid table

I love the way people veer between immense pessimism (some people we sure we would be relegated back in February) to thinking we''ll get into the top 6.

The top 6 teams are Man U, Man C, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool.  Below them it''s incredibly tight and as we saw last year a few points can make a big difference in places.

I am more concerned about being safe by mid-April than our exact final position.

Lets just wait and see.  Better to be optimistic than pessimistic.  I think the momentum of the way things are going at the moment is in our favour with lots of clubs in rebuilding mode, new managers - and the clubs that have come up don''t inspire either.    We are already well on the road in our building process.   Third season in, manager settled and knows what he wants.   New players coming in to improve all areas of the pitch.  The club is vibrant from top to bottom.   What''s not to be optimistic about?   

Really top 6, well as long as we are not in the bottom 3 I really don''t care where we finish. If we can do what we have last and stay 7 points clear of the bottom 3 all season I would be happy.

Well now the fixture are out I''m getting exctied.

Optimism says 11th or better.   Turn some of those clean sheets from last season into narrow wins and sixth or better is attainable.  Isn''t it the aim at a start of a season to aim high?    All other sports I have ever been involved with start with the premise that you are going to aim as high as possible.  Why should we be any different?   Its not an expectation that we will finish in the top six but simply recognising that it is something that if things go well, it is quite possible. 

We will finish top six.

As long as you don''t include the Manchester clubs, the North London clubs, Chelsea and the Merseyside clubs.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Eleventh last season and the league looks less daunting than it did last Hull, Crystal Palace, Sunderland etc, second year of development under Hughton - and looking at the fixture list, aiming for the top six finish looks realistic.  We will have to be well clear of bottom three by the last five or six games in any case - and if we are anywhere near the top six by then, we will be confident to push on - and with the fixtures we have at the end -we will have one heck of an end to the season.  

[/quote]

I tell you what we can win the league , what with ferguson retiring it ours to take now ;)

Totally agree LTC. The club is now being run superbly at the top and has a great manager. It is ahead of most other clubs in it''s ability to plan and organise. We have more money we will have more quality in the playing staff almost all being internationals.

Why not sixth? I''ll be disappointed if we don''t make 8th or higher.

Top 6th bet for us is 225-1 I believe - worth a tenner for £2250.00

the top 7/8 is pretty much sorted each season, you get the odd surprise but very rarely.

I''d take a top half finish in a flash.

You don''t get anywhere near top six by drawing games. A shift to an attacking mentality as was seen in the last two games could have achieved 7th last season but no way will we finish above that. If we continue in the same vein as last season with a fear of losing, mid-table will be the best we can achieve.

BW WROTE:

Not if you''re cranking it up to levels of madness.

Protect and serve- it''s what we do. Here to combat all binners and trolls, at your service m''lord.

Would you like a jelly baby?

Want to wolf howl for RVW? Put ''Howling for the wolf'' in your sig

--------

Is it just me or?

[quote user="spencer 1970"]the top 7/8 is pretty much sorted each season, you get the odd surprise but very rarely.

I''d take a top half finish in a flash.[/quote]

Nothing is sorted at the start of a season imo.  The thing is, we''ve done it before, broken in to the top six - arguably as a smaller club than we are now - by the end of the season.  In fact we were the last "small" club in the premiership to do it, third in 93.    We have to progress upwards, as to do the opposite is just to stagnate, mid table or fighting off relegation, sooner or later getting relegated.   Top half finish would be great, but as I said in the op, if we are anywhere near that top six with five games to go we will be looking at five cup finals to take points off the clubs above us and try and get into that top six. 

Nothing wrong with aiming high, lets not kid ourselves we stayed up last season for one reason. The worst premier League for 20 years.

Man United walked it with a generally mediocre team by Premier league standards. Where does that leave everyone else considering the managerial merry-go-round. Man City and the other big clubs were so inconsistent.

I doubt the whole league could be as bad this year as last but wouldn''t be surprised by Martinez screwing it up at Everton or a Tottenham without Bale being poor. Who knows it will be exciting and hopefully we will have the mix right this year and can concentrate on looking up rather than down. 8-10 would be great but nothing wrong wit looking higher.   

No reason why we shouldn''t aim for there, reality is that it''s a competitive division. I think we''re at the point now whereby there are only a handful of games we''d be happy with a point from.

Everyone starts level on 0 points, we should hope we can win in every game we play.

Look at Newcastle finishing 5th, that''s not beyond the relms of possibility. It would take a lot of luck and even more hard work from the players, but who knows.

The only time last season i was ''happy'' to see us lose was the Man U away game. I was still buzzing from the Everton win, relegation seemed miles from possibility and I finally got to see Norwich at Old Trafford and even that day, it was Man U''s good play as opposed to our bad play that made the result.

This season'' i''d like to think we''ll step it up a gear. Yes we will lose some games, but on a game by game basis, I''m targeting wins from all but the top 4 (draws vs them) at home and wins vs the bottom 10 away and draws vs the top 10. I will be disappointed with any results that don''t fit this.

As the sum of all parts though, so long as we stay up without much incident, i''ll happily trickle on watching our club grow in stature.

Nicko, you can have it all! 8th - 10th would get us top half AND mid-table... :-)

Not a ridiculous target for our club either, provided we buy inspired, have a stormer of a season and see others fail.