Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

The "Silly Season" has started.

West Ham seem determined to spent a large part of their windfall on this player. 

(From today''s Times.)

[URL=http://s1063.photobucket.com/user/roysome2/media/Carrol_zpsc46a8048.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t515/roysome2/Carrol_zpsc46a8048.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Are there any lengths that Sam Alladyce isn''t prepared to go to in order to land this player?

A there any lengths that Liverpool and Rodgers won''t go to in order to get rid?

Two managers setting out their very different stalls, whilst Andy Carroll pockets the millions.

If I were a Spam supporter, God forbid'' I would be feeling decidedly unhappy about all this. Firstly, the massive cost of it all and the fact that so much of the transfer budget is being splashed out on this one player. A player who just is not that good, IMO.

Secondly, the implications for the playing style of the team are firmly set out and it is unlikely to be pretty, with a lot of the play devoted to the strengths of one player. What would Alf think, I ask myself?

"Rubbish! Yer long ball game ''aint for West ''Am, leave that for the Palace. We didn''t win the World Cup with all this kicking it up in the air to a pony tail stuff. Buying from yer Liverpool an'' orl. Scarce gits." 

To add to it all Carroll emphatically states that he would prefer a move to the North East rather than a return to the East End. Oh dear!

Thankfully, we can expect McNally to be a bit more sensible with the money and we can also hope that Hughton, already armed with RVW and hoping to sign the "long-ball hating" Ola Toivenen, will impact the more technical aspects of the game that I, for one, would prefer to watch. 

I almost feel sorry for Carroll, that huge original transfer fee is now a weight around his neck with regards to expectations and transfer moves. It wasn''t his fault Liverpool were daft enough to throw away that much of the Torres fee.

That aside, what are West Ham playing at? £100,000 a week wages? Have they been reading the ''Leeds United Good Guide to Sustainable Top Flight Football''? It''s a disgrace they are getting away with only 20 million for the Olympic stadium yet can throw money around like that, while still in huge debt.

There always seems to be a fair proportion of the fan-base that love Carroll at the clubs he has played at.

The Toon army love him of course as do a lot of Spammers. He even has a lot of support at Liverpool.

A total of £18m fee and those wages on top (£100k pm?) is plain daft considering his limitations.

RVW @ £8m or Carroll at twice that. Hmmm. I haven''t seem Ricky play much but I have Carroll so I know my preferred deal.  

No doubting that he has his strengths in a certain game plan.

He does exactly as it says on the tin but the problem is it doesn''t say that much on the tin (and B&Q own brand is cheaper.)

My point wasn''t really about the merits or otherwise of Carroll, although this has some relevance, but more the way West Ham have pushed the boat out so far, for them, to get this player.

Shades of Leeds, Portsmouth etc. IMO. There are still very few clubs in the Premiership who can really afford such wages, despite the new money, and these play in the Champions League regularly. 

He''s not a dreadful player but the list of players I would have first for much lower prices is probably several pages long.

might as well have a little bonfire of cash !

The real irony here is that if he''d been going for say 8 million, then most would probably have said it was a very good deal for a player who on his day can be a genuine threat.But it''s not 8 million, it''s not even 10 or 12 million, it''s 15 million rising to 17 million, along with a bumper wage packet...The transfer fee is NOT Carroll''s fault or responsbility, although the wage demands are - but can you blame a player for getting as much as they can?In essence, Carroll is being derided because a couple of clubs lost the plot and paid over the odds for his ability. Liverpool made the major error here with that ridiculous 35 million pound deal in the wake of selling Torres (not to mention paying a fortune for the likes of Downing and Henderson), and now West Ham are repeating this (albeit in a slightly smaller manner) by again paying over the odds.All that being said, if Carroll genuinely and truly wanted to return to the north east, he should have had the guts to tell West Ham he wasn''t interested, and looked to agree a deal with Liverpool that would facilitate a move back to Newcastle, instead he just took the money...The money is the true villain in the whole piece, along with the greed that virtually all modern day players exhibit (above and beyond simply looking after your best interests).Frankly I think the whole situation in the modern game is a disgrace, but whilstever there''s clubs like Liverpool and Man City happy to throw money around, and whilstever we have players who care far more about adding a few extra quid onto their wages than playing for the club they truly want to, nothing will change.Truly sad tbh...

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

West Ham seem determined to spent a large part of their windfall on this player. 

(From today''s Times.)

[URL=http://s1063.photobucket.com/user/roysome2/media/Carrol_zpsc46a8048.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t515/roysome2/Carrol_zpsc46a8048.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Are there any lengths that Sam Alladyce isn''t prepared to go to in order to land this player?

A there any lengths that Liverpool and Rodgers won''t go to in order to get rid?

Two managers setting out their very different stalls, whilst Andy Carroll pockets the millions.

If I were a Spam supporter, God forbid'' I would be feeling decidedly unhappy about all this. Firstly, the massive cost of it all and the fact that so much of the transfer budget is being splashed out on this one player. A player who just is not that good, IMO.

Secondly, the implications for the playing style of the team are firmly set out and it is unlikely to be pretty, with a lot of the play devoted to the strengths of one player. What would Alf think, I ask myself?

"Rubbish! Yer long ball game ''aint for West ''Am, leave that for the Palace. We didn''t win the World Cup with all this kicking it up in the air to a pony tail stuff. Buying from yer Liverpool an'' orl. Scarce gits." 

To add to it all Carroll emphatically states that he would prefer a move to the North East rather than a return to the East End. Oh dear!

Thankfully, we can expect McNally to be a bit more sensible with the money and we can also hope that Hughton, already armed with RVW and hoping to sign the "long-ball hating" Ola Toivenen, will impact the more technical aspects of the game that I, for one, would prefer to watch. 

[/quote]I don''t agree. 15.5m for a current England International who will do everything to ensure he gets into the squad for the World Cup is a good deal for West Ham. He plays football the Allerdyce way, and has Matt Jarvis who was statistically the best crosser in Europe last season, supplying crosses. As long as he stays fit and focussed, I''ve no doubt that West Ham will be safe this season.    

I don''t accept that PM.

Firstly, it isn''t £15.5m but rather totals £17.5m and all added on to the loan fees paid for last season. You have also neglected to mention the wages demands and the fact that although he might bust a gut to get into the England World Cup squad he would rather do it playing for Newcastle than West Ham.

Secondly, I genuinely consider him to be an England International by default due to a poverty of contenders (most on here would have preferred Grant Holt last Summer after all) and Hodgson''s propensity for the traditional.

If he does get a game during the next tournament, then it is my view that England as a team are going further in a backward direction. He is quite simply too limited at this level IMO. It all reminds me of a throw back to the fairly inconspicuous days of Mark Hateley in the England shirt, decent at club level but hardly able to set the woods on fire on the international stage. His father, Tony, was probably the very first ''one trick pony'' though and when asked to take a penalty for Liverpool reportedly put the ball on the spot, got onto his hands and knees and headed a bullet into the corner of the net.

Andy C. has a few more tricks than that, but at what a price.  

For sure, he fits the Alladyce style but does this really justify putting so many of the eggs into one basket? Especially considering the onset of the FFP regulations soon.

Massive fees and wages for players have become an anathema to many supporters, and made even moreso when they are paid out for a player like Andy Carroll ..... not once, but twice. 

My real point is that if also-rans like West Ham are paying out almost twenty million for a single player with a massive wage demand to cater for then the game is spiralling off in the very direction that FFP is designed to curb.

I again contend that only clubs with a realistic chance of Champion''s League football should be involved with such sums and not clubs who need to survive.   

Does a transfer fee break a player? Liverpool have a history of ruining top strikers (or at least seeing many go off the boil), but I wonder, has the transfer fee affected Carroll. As has been said, its not his fault.

Both he and Torres have fallen well short of what was hoped for them. Similar names such as Shevchenko, Ibrahimovic come to mind, where great players have failed to live up to their price-tags.

How much is the pressure of the fee? How much is simply the change in circumstances that comes with a move?

I feel sorry for Carroll (not that sorry considering the money aspect) but I really wonder if he''d have performed so much better and still be thought of highly rather than a waste of money/flop if he''d carried on playing for the toon.

Plenty of players have resisted the big money moves. Wisdom there I feel

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Plenty of players have resisted the big money moves. Wisdom there I feel[/quote]Or in the case of Matt Le Tissier, he ensured he was THE big fish in the small pond, had a club that loved him and he loved the area, and his desire for trophies and medals wasn''t enough to make him leave Southampton behind.I''d like to think that if I''d been offered a Norwich contract I''d have resisted a move elsewhere (even though I was only ever good enough for a Sunday league pub team), but when clubs like Barca or Milan come calling, I can see how it would be tough to walk away from...