Sign in to follow this  
Hard Cell

FAO Stratton Canary

His name was Kidgell (Handlebars) and if nothing was happening in the Barclay and he was getting bored he''d start something.  Lived up Colney Lane and I went to school with his son.  Happy days in the old Barclay.

Thanks Hard Cell, never knew his real name, got spoken to by him on a few occasions!! glad to know i''am not the only one who remembers the standing, fencing etc in the old stand! remember Bernie Patterson??

Old bar strdremember walking up the steps of the Barclay just before the game and he would be there glaring down at you, always used to be around that part of the Barclayalso remember a right old ''bundle'' when some away fans had broken through the cordon and there was fighting along the back walkway and he lumped my mate round the back of the head (amongst others), poor buggers head was still ringing on the bus homehappy days, when there was only a line of coppers seperating the fans - big long coats and proper coppers hats on where as we would have Levi jackets and a bar scarf tied to the wristbut he did seem up for up "what''s the matter with you, screwwhat''s the matter with you "as I say happy days and a far different mentality than now

"n the old stand! remember Bernie Patterson??"

yep, remember him clambering up on the roof supports inside the Barclayalways wore dark blue Levis and Levi jacket with the bottom button(s) done upyou''ll remember what it was like in the first two seasons in League 1 when there was no fencing and it was a free for all, with the away fans having ''taken'' the Barclay early and the pushing and shoving (!) to get them out and towards the South stand usually after the game had kicked offalso remember great choruses of '' Allouette'' and '' the magic music man''''oooooooooooooooooh alloutte.........."

Yeah get days, being in croppers nightclub on a friday night, playing spurs the next day, it would be full of cockneys, the old wooden beer hut out the back, you could see all the away fans as you walked up the steps to the back off the stand,( it was well hard in those days )

there were one or two ''colourful'' songs

''jump up turn around .........''   oh dear

when the fence went in it ran down the back of the Barclay and divided the bar as well - bl oody berlin wallwell remember standing on the grass beside the steps shouting abuse and threats at the away fans - Leicester fans outside waiting to get in with a ruddy great big Union flag and a bloke in a white butchers coat with Leicester stuff written on itthe outside bogs with stuff like ''Pompey rule ok'' sprayed on the wallsbut the early days were the wild west days as if you went into the Barclay from the side you were never sure who was ''in charge'', if the away fans had got there early, a couple of ''hairy moments'' one getting chased along the back of the Barclay by some Arsenal fans, never seen so many away fans, all over the Barclayhave a listen to this - makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand out as it brings it all backBarclay boot boy

Sorry crockers night club , not croppers, that was a mens hair salon down lower goat lane, ( old age moment ) use to go there too!

anyway, sliding under the fences to get into the other pen, that was supposed to be full, according to the police!

Man U at home when all hell broke loose, think they done a programme on "NATIONWIDE " about it the following monday

Thanks Hard Cell, never knew his real name, got spoken to by him on a few occasions!! glad to know i''am not the only one who remembers the standing, fencing etc in the old stand! remember Bernie Patterson??

[Bernie, now to be found working in Asda Drayton Road as an assistant ]

Remember Bernie being chased first by West Ham fans and then coppers dragging him out from underneath a burger van, by Carrow Bridge.

One thing that annoyed me about him, was when he decided to take a pee, he wouldn''t bother going to the toilet he would do in on the Barclay floor and everyone was trying to get out of the way so he had a decent space in front of him. Memories some not so good.

[quote user="Hard Cell"]His name was Kidgell (Handlebars) and if nothing was happening in the Barclay and he was getting bored he''d start something.  Lived up Colney Lane and I went to school with his son.  Happy days in the old Barclay.
[/quote]

PC 649 Ivan Kidgell and he lived on Whitehall Road. His nickname in the Police was Chang. He died a few years ago now and his son was Malcolm who worked for British Rail who tragically died at a relatively early age from cancer.

Thanks TIL, he seemed a "rum old boy" at the time, but sad news about him & his son passing away,  Great to hear about all the characters of day''s gone by in the barclay, many now on this site seem to think we''ve always been succesfull, still that''s for another day,   suitcases are packed know off to marjorca for 2 weeks sun, no papers,no text, no emails & no football talk, hears hoping to come back to a hat full of signings, good night

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="Hard Cell"]His name was Kidgell (Handlebars) and if nothing was happening in the Barclay and he was getting bored he''d start something.  Lived up Colney Lane and I went to school with his son.  Happy days in the old Barclay.[/quote]

PC 649 Ivan Kidgell and he lived on Whitehall Road. His nickname in the Police was Chang. He died a few years ago now and his son was Malcolm who worked for British Rail who tragically died at a relatively early age from cancer.

[/quote]

he can be seen here in his early years in the force

appears on 40 secs

Ha, that''s been going on since I was a kid. Lived in Stratton for my first 24 years. My old man still owns a business there though, so Stratton boy at heart!