Sign in to follow this  
nu_matik

Tierney article...

In some ways I''m not surprised at Morison and Tierney''s sour grapes. Under Paul Lambert they believed they were Premiership players, now they''re back in the Championship.

Am I the only one who thought Tierney was great last season before he got injured?

I thought he was arguably our best player first half of the season and seemed instantly effective in the Premiership. It may well be that his performances were due to momentum, and players punching above their weight (ie performances Lambert could get from him that perhaps Hughton couldnt), maybe he was never going to be able to sustain his performances, but for me thats all a massive assumption.

I (and admittedly I missed the Fulham debacle) really cannot ever remember him having a bad game. heard he was poor in the cup, but missed that too.

My perception of him was that he seemed to be the player that revelled in the step up the most at first, was impressive from day one in the premiership, steamed towards xmas, when ROI call-ups were mentioned, and then got injured. Never really made it back into the team and then cast aside by Hughton in Fox-like fashion.

Im surprised to hear so many say he was average or not up to the Premiership. I just don think we ever saw enough evidence of that. I really think we''ve missed a trick by letting him go on a free. Wouldnt be surprised if he does really well at Bolton. Didnt think much of him before the Premiership season but he was one of those who I thought wouldnt step up, but found myself being proved wrong week after week.

If we''d seen him have bad game after bad game I might understand it, but a few below par performances and he''s history. All very cloak and dagger.

I dont understand the Tierney situation or the Fox situation. Must just be that Hughton didnt fancy them. Iv always questioned when managers freeze certain players out inexplicably - Simon Lappin and Glenn Roeder springs to mind

As a former defender himself. I think i trust Hughton''s judgement if he thinks Tierney is a good defender. Seems he knows his players.

[quote user="Hackedoff"]As a former defender himself. I think i trust Hughton''s judgement if he thinks Tierney is a good defender. Seems he knows his players.[/quote]

Whilst I understand this logic, might I counter that Peter Grant signed Julian Brellier, and Bryan Gunn signed Theoklitos!

Agreed, thought Tierney was outstanding up to Christmas in our first PL season. Yes he was pants at Fulham and in the cup but as I''ve said previously, it''s very difficult for a player to come in and hit the ground running after sitting on his backside for 6 months.

I think the lack of reserve football and Hughton''s preference for a settled side really hurt some of our players last year. Howson looked comfortably our best midfielder in the last 2 months of the season but he looked a shadow of his former self when he first came back in to the side.

I agree with alot of the points made, and he certainly can and has been a great player at times. I don''t agree that he was THAT good for us in the prem, and would agree it was probably more to do with Lamberts man management. Thing is, I trust Hughtons judgement of a decent player a millions over compared to Lambert... I guess we have to see what Lambert does with his new crop of youngsters and what Hughton does with whatever he brings in on his second season. Still can''t get past the fact that Jackson, Lappin and Chris Martin (who you would all consider fringe players) managed to say thanks and goodbye without sounding a bit put out. It must just be Tierneys standard procedure to get on with the new fans a la ''''Id never play for norwich city fc'''' im colchester through and though?

I think any player who says "usually I don''t look forward to pre-season" betrays a bit of an attitude problem."Boo hoo, I hate getting fit and in shape, having to work out every day and go to the gym - I barely get home until at least 2pm."Especially when fitness is all he had going for him - he couldn''t trap a bag of sand.Good riddance.

Yeah, that''s not the best admission ever is it. How many other professions get 10k a week and all the holiday footballers do, then get to retire at 35 (ish)?

I liked Tierney but I think we need something a bit more now.

Whilst he is not a bad player and certainly not league one. However at times I thought he struggled committing himself too early, diving in when he''d have been better jockying and just trying to force the player to play.

Still, am surprised that maybe one of the new Prem teams didn''t take a chance on him.

I simply cant see him at prem level really, a good old school style LB but not a great athlete

I shall mention it again and it may well get removed before many of you get to read it but bank holiday Sunday after the villa game, many norwich players were out in the city and I got chatting to tierney and he slated hughton and Said I quote '' he doesn''t have a clue him and his back room'' could be sour grapes but the other players were not slagging tierney off for saying it, this may get removed but I can tell you it''s the truth and have no reason to lie to you guys.

I thought tierney was a good full back and was fully commited and we actually struggled going forward on the left side when he got injured, naughton did not offer us natural width having to cut in on his right foot alot.

Good luck to the lad.