Sign in to follow this  
nu_matik

Tierney article...

So the article with Tierney about his departure leads with the title ''No hard feelings''. Upon reading the article, I can sense quite the opposite though, or am I imagining it? There are quite a few barbed comments aimed at Hughton and whilst quite open about them not seeing eye to eye, whilst commenting on his new manager and future it feels as though he''s trying to make his time here sound pretty bleak. I know he''s known for making silly statements and not coming across as the most intelligent guy ever ( ''''Id never play for Norwich City FC"), but given he actually went through 2 promotions with us and undoubtedly had his profile driven up with us, I was hoping he could at least be a bit more thankful to the club and fans ...

on front page of pinkun, wonder what he means by football wise didn''t see eye to eye? Is it just that Tierney didn''t ''do tactics''? Was he just a ''dog down the park'' all along?

“I wanted to work with someone who was hungry and who could get me going like Paul Lambert did so, when I spoke to Dougie Freedman I thought he was going to do exactly that,” he said.

“Chris Hughton is a fine fellow, but football-wise we didn’t see eye to eye. That’s absolutely fine, and it has paid off for me because a club the stature of Bolton came in and I’ve got a manager who will really get me going."

Yeah, quite, I thought the same thing. I''m sure that it''s absolutely nothing to do with Hughton bringing in Garrido, and all to do with Hughton''s lack of motivational skills...

1 promotion.

And I don''t think it''s unreasonable for him to think he never got a chance under Hughton. Same goes for a couple of other players. Some will choose to be vocal about it, some won''t.

I guess from day 1, Hughton probably made it clear that Tierney wasn''t wanted. A whole year later and barely any games under his belt and i can see why he''s a bit put out.

Unfortunately, that''s football. Garrido is better than Tierney. He was unfortunate to get injured that first premiership season when he did as he was firing on all cylinders then.

Hopefully he will go get Bolton promoted, come back to FCR to a rousing applause for his part in our success.

I think that''s probably it. Despite the boring football, we looked more composed last season and a more genuine premiership article.

Under Lambert, we survived on grit and determination and made up for the lack of technical ability with sheer work rate and gung ho football. This seems to suit Tierney more.

Seeing it from Hughtons point of view, Tierney did play and we lost 5-0 to Fulham, in reality as much as I liked Tierney in the Championship he''s is a borderline premiership squad player at best.

He did the job we wanted and I notice Lambert never signed him up as a free agent. Good luck to him.

Compare and contrast with Simeon Jackson''s words earlier this week. Also hardly got a game, but left with good grace, focussed on the achievements he did have with the club which are similar to Tierney, and no sly digs.

I''m interested to know what he means by "it has paid off"!?! What has paid off? Not getting on with the manager and sitting on the sidelines all season? Yeah, that paid off - moving down a division just as everyone else gets a pay rise - result!

Tierney''s first game under Hughton was a 5-0 thrashing at Fulham.
His second game was against Scunthorpe, where he struggled against a league 1 winger.
Tierney had also featured the entire pre-season and hadn''t impressed.
I''m not surprised Hughton didn''t rate him based on those performances.

Simeon got way more games than Tierney last year. I guess he means the whole time at Norwich has paid off. Joined us as a league 1 also-ran and left as a borderline championship/ premiership left back.

I stand corrected about the promotions, but still cant see why a professional who has been paid a good bit of money, been given a good bunch of games, profile raised, and if he was any kind of player, learnt something from working with Garrido just cant say ''''Thanks for my time''''? I thought exactly the same re:Jackson, granted he played more games but was hardly getting a run in the team, and he was nothing but complimentary.

Apologies, I searched but obviously not very hard, for something on the tierney article, and started another thread,

"Apologies, I searched but obviously not very hard, for something on the tierney article, and started another thread,"

Why apologise? You started yours 3 minutes before this one. That''s why we need a Moderator to merge threads started at more or less the same time.

Tierney was always better going forward than he was at defending and Hughton has shown that he likes his defenders to be defenders firstly and attacking second.  The reality is that at his best, much like Barnett, Tierney is a very good championship player but low level prem player.  I wish him well, he was a big part of our success but we have to continuously improve, thats football.

Tierney is another victim of our rapid ascent.

Played his part but the Prem was a step too far. Nobody''s fault, a victim of circumstance.

Thanks for everything, all the best for the future.

[quote user="Warren Hill"]

Played his part but the Prem was a step too far. Nobody''s fault, a victim of circumstance.

[/quote]

This

[quote user="Warren Hill"]

[/quote]

This

Don''t get me wrong, I thought he was pretty decent at times, and always seemed to get on with the fans and players wives (joke) but I feel a bit disheartened about it all because he may well have had a professional dispute with Hughton but why cant players ion that position just save face and say goodbye and thanks?

Are we talking about the article on the pinkun?

Doesn''t seem particularly critical of the club or Hughton in it. He is likely to talk more about his new club and new manager in a positive light (you don''t go to a new club and say "oh well, Bolton aren''t as good as Norwich for reason a, b and c".)

All he said on Hughts was that they didn''t see eye to eye on footballing matters and it was best for him to move on. Seems like a fairly standard interview. Certainly nothing to suggest that Hughton has lost the changing room or anything like that.

Tierney was an OK player for us, nothing special.

I wish him well, his interview does seem a veiled Dig at Hughton however.

Veiled? Come on Jason, that couldn''t be more blatant. How on earth the title of that piece fits with content I do not know.

Cheers Tierney for the time and helping us where we were, unfortunately you didn''t fit the plans and were found wanting this year. That is the way of it sometimes - leave it at that.

To come out and have a open dig at the manager and his style is good for no one - even guised as a back handed compliment to your new club in a attempt to get your new team onside.

Attitude stinks.

Agree with Jas, and was probably punching above his weight in terms of playing in the Prem.

Did OKay last year, in a team which at times looked completely out of depth under Lambert. This year, not had a look in with the arrivals of Garrido and Whittaker, and rightly so as they are both miles above him in terms of experience and quality.

No doubt we will bring in another left back and Tierney will be long forgotten. Played his part when we needed him, was unfortunate to get injured. But I think we all accept he''s not quite good enough for us now.

As for the dig at Hughton, you''ve got to put out your best 11, and rarely did Hughton not do that - he kept us up in 11th place, he know''s what he''s doing.

Tierney was a poor player. He was found out during pre season. He relied too much on Paul Lamberts ability to get the best from average players. Garrido is such a huge step up from tierney, it really shows how far the club have come.

Didn''t see eye to eye.... Hmmm more that he probably thought he was up to it and Hughton thought otherwise. Thanks for the efforts Marc, but if we get Olsson in with Garrido then I''m more than happy to go with Hughton on this one!

precisely this. As you go up through the levels the majority of players simply can not adapt to the new standards - Marc is one of those and no shame in that. The evidence is in the starting 11 on teh first day of each season in teh prem - the team has changed beyond championship promotion gaining recognition - and 100% for the better

although at the promotion bonus wages i suspect victim is being a little OTT.