Sign in to follow this  
Parma Ham's gone mouldy

Passive vs Active footballers

[quote user="morty"]Give it up Browstone, its never LDC thats in the wrong.[/quote]

Not so.  If I misunderstand something I will acknowledge it, but if someone can''t take an argument that is not my fault.   I  attempted to get  discuss something with someone apparently intent on getting on defending Lambert instead of acknowledging the points that were being made at face value - which were to do with comparing styles of management and  player motivation - not a "he''s better than him" thread - which we have plenty of.   The fact that he responded with more defence of Lambert showed where his mind set was. 

I don''t mind if people don''t want to discuss things with me, that''s fine.   But if you want to discuss, then discuss, not just put your point down and expect people to accept it without question.  It is a discussion board, after all

I''ve stated my opinion on the squad building question several times on this thread and I really can''t be bothered to repeat myself again.

And for that reason, I''m out.

Bump.  This thread isn''t all arguing.  There''s some good links in here.[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

When

any manager (football or otherwise) NEEDS to ''motivate'' his team each

week, the question is ''what do you do to get a performance from them the

following week?'' Because next week they''ll need even more of the very

same stuff - even MORE motivation!   If

YOUR motivational style is the main fuel those team members rely on

it''s a real problem! What if you''re not there? What if you''re off sick?

What if you''re on hols? Your team performance may well nosedive in your

absence. That''s why SELF motivation of team members is the by far the

best way.    Needy team members/players are simply harder work aren''t they?

Paul McVeigh has a book coming out soon (4th July) entitled ‘The Stupid Footballer is Dead’. It covers this very subject. See http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/read-all-about-it-the-stupid-footballer-is-dead-8660557.html

A football manager can’t do their thinking for them when they’re on the field of play either can he?  How

we each respond to an event in life varies enormously - take a set-back

in football for example; our team gives away a penalty. Would you

rather the team use their energy to argue with the Ref (Snodgrass

style)? or maintain their focus and deal with the goal against should it

be scored? Whichever action is taken, in the Premier League the margins

are minimal and could be worth £ millions. It is the difference between

success or otherwise and it really matters.

My observations:

• Lambert obtained higher-than-expected performance from decent technical & average mentality players
  • Hughton appears more interested in top technical and highly self-motivated players
Supportive Evidence:

The

NCFC Youth team have just won the FA Youth Cup partly as a result of

receiving years of proper psychology training of the type I am referring

to. See
http://think-pro.co.uk/performance-proof/ 

[/quote]

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

Every action we make comes as a result of our personal thinking style - ''It''s an inside job!'' 

Here''s a useful message for this subject:

SUMO

It stands for ‘Shut Up & Move On’ and Paul McGee does it better than most:

http://www.thesumoguy.com/sumo-guy-in-action.aspx

(Under ‘See the SUMO

Guy in Action’ click the middle link entitled ‘see Paul speaking at an

International Conference’ - he’s entertaining!)

[/quote]

[quote user="lake district canary"]Bump.  This thread isn''t all arguing.  There''s some good links in here.[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

Every action we make comes as a result of our personal thinking style - ''It''s an inside job!'' 

Here''s a useful message for this subject:

SUMO

It stands for ‘Shut Up & Move On’ and Paul McGee does it better than most:

http://www.thesumoguy.com/sumo-guy-in-action.aspx

(Under ‘See the SUMO

Guy in Action’ click the middle link entitled ‘see Paul speaking at an

International Conference’ - he’s entertaining!)

[/quote][/quote]If only that Holiday Inn thread was still alive and well, so we could see how much you advocated that "shut up and move on" philosophy...

[quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"]If only that Holiday Inn thread was still alive and well, so we could see how much you advocated that "shut up and move on" philosophy...[/quote]

I''ll shut up when other people shut up.   The problem is everyone would like to have the last word - usually in the process of rubbishing what I have to say - even  when I am trying to be constructive.  So I tend to bang on in the face of  the opposition, but if people don''t want me to post they shouldn''t keep replying to me.   Rocket science it ain''t!    [:P]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"]If only that Holiday Inn thread was still alive and well, so we could see how much you advocated that "shut up and move on" philosophy...[/quote]

I''ll shut up when other people shut up.   The problem is everyone would like to have the last word - usually in the process of rubbishing what I have to say - even  when I am trying to be constructive.  So I tend to bang on in the face of  the opposition, but if people don''t want me to post they shouldn''t keep replying to me.   Rocket science it ain''t!    [:P]

[/quote]Then you''ll take the fact I''m replying to you in the spirit it''s intended [:)]

[quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"]If only that Holiday Inn thread was still alive and well, so we could see how much you advocated that "shut up and move on" philosophy...[/quote]

I''ll shut up when other people shut up.   The problem is everyone would like to have the last word - usually in the process of rubbishing what I have to say - even  when I am trying to be constructive.  So I tend to bang on in the face of  the opposition, but if people don''t want me to post they shouldn''t keep replying to me.   Rocket science it ain''t!    [:P][/quote]Then you''ll take the fact I''m replying to you in the spirit it''s intended [:)][/quote]

No problem  JVC!   [H]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"]

If only that Holiday Inn thread was still alive and well, so we could see how much you advocated that "shut up and move on" philosophy...

[/quote]

[/quote]

Then you''ll take the fact I''m replying to you in the spirit it''s intended [:)]
[/quote]

No problem  JVC!   [H]

[/quote]

I suspect you missed the point.....again!

[quote user="lake district canary"]Eh? What was that?  Did someone fart?

[/quote]

It''s reassuring that you are in such close smelling distance.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="lake district canary"]Eh? What was that?  Did someone fart?[/quote]

It''s reassuring that you are in such close smelling distance.[/quote]

I''m in England, thankfully, as far away as possible from you.  What was that?   I missed the point again??  You don''t say!

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="lake district canary"]Eh? What was that?  Did someone fart?
[/quote]

It''s reassuring that you are in such close smelling distance.[/quote]

I''m in England, thankfully, as far away as possible from you.  What was that?   I missed the point again?? 

You don''t say!

[/quote]

Actually, I do say!  Now then, you should not resort to insults as you know the inevitable outcome of that so, as you say you are interested in discussion, the why don''t you respond to the question I asked you earlier:

LDC: "Both approaches require different attributes from players.  Of the players that are still here from Lambert''s time, some will adapt, those that can''t will have to move on."  

LDC, try not to get your shorts in a twist because it''s me that''s responding but your input says "something" without saying anything. Try to finish your thought please so that there something of substance to debate. What different attributes do you  think is required from the players under the current manager versus the previous and, given that we have had a whole season to digest those different attributes required then who, in your opinion, have failed to live up to those different requirements?

Go on then, show us how much you are really interested in discussion. I will demonstrate to others that you do have a clear thought process behind the statements that you make without revealing substance. 

It will demonstrate to others that you do have a clear thought process behind the statements that you make without revealing substance. 

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]It will demonstrate to others that you do have a clear thought process behind the statements that you make without revealing substance. [/quote]

I will not answer sensibly anything you may have to say to me until you have apologised for the abusive attack on me and my family that you made in the hotel thread, which was deleted by SDP and pointed out  by other posters as being malicious and reprehensible.  You showed no desire other than to show me up in some way and when that didn''t work, made a vicious  such a personal attack.  That you have the nerve to continue to try to instruct me in the ways of posting despite your lack of awareness that you overstepped the mark by a long way, speaks volumes about you.

I shall not reply to you again this evening.  Good night.

It strikes me that we got a messiah when we needed one and a club-builder followed when this too was what we needed....

The key point of the thread is that the style of footballer has changed, not only in terms of quality, but in terms of self- starting mentality.

No more Tierney''s who may or may not perform depending on whether the manager "gets him going", rather a squad of mature, professional men led by a club- building organise with expectations that they are good enough to maintain a professional level week-in week- out without the boom and bust of theatrical tricks and histrionics. This is repeatable and mitigates against on field panic and consequently ensures the mean performance level is raised over an extended period.