Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

A Marquee Signing?

Just a question. We have a squad at present which has achieved a mid-table finish two seasons running. We have, hopefully, some help for Holt up front already, which has had no impact on our budget for this season.

Whilst it is not known what the transfer budget for this season is, we are externally debt free, so will surely have more funds available than the £25million we''ve had in previous seasons, with only Garrido''s transfer of, what 2m?, impacting on it.

One option could be to blow the lot on someone truly special, looking for a foothold in English football.

We could conceivably make one single outrageous signing. Not sensible at all, but it would be exciting, and raise the profile of the club. Who would you sign and why? Plausible suggestions only (not loads of stupid ''Messi'' posts). Someone who might want to break into English football (probably the only reason someone of that calibre would be willing to play for us) but would cost an outrageous amount. Im thinking along the lines of Middlesbrough''s signing of Juninho int the 90''s

I cant see us spending any more than £15m now. but hopefully i am proven wrong. Would love to see Naughton, Olsson, Redmond, Toivonen or Hooper and a quality midfielder. Would be very happy with that.

To keep a balanced team set up, all the players need to be on a fairly level pay scale.   Of course there will be some that earn more, but if you go down the road of getting one special player in, the focus changes too much, sets him apart from the others, upsets team spirit, puts too much pressure on that individual to produce and unsettles other players who will want more money too.  Norwich are a team based on good ethics of hard work, togetherness and good skills, not one or two individuals who earn twice as much as everybody else.  

While we would all love to see the best players play for us, because of the club we are, we''ll have to be content with watching us grow in stature more slowly.   We have money, but it still needs to be managed in a sustainable way, not blowing it away on one or even two ultra expensive players.

Marquees are for Village fetes. I''d rather have hard working players than "names"

I will never forget in my last incarnation at the beginning of last season a certain poster saying he''d love to see Michael Owen join Norwich

I won''t mention names of course but what I will say is "snakes, why did it have to be snakes"

At least he''s not as bad as the Cody McDonald bloke #restrainingorder