Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

James Vaughan tweet

Maybe if he didn''t have himself listed as a Huddersfield Town player people may actually want him at Norwich

Perhaps he has just read on here the post from earlier this week, that he is off to Blackburn in a swap deal for Olsson.

Could be at the in laws and cracked a joke bout the enemy''s nice rack..............you never know.

[quote user="colneycanary"]"Ever get the feeling you''re not wanted"

Looks like he''s been offered to some other team? Part swap deal maybe?[/quote]Why can''t he stay as fourth choice behind RVW, Holt and Becchio? The guy is still a very handy striker, and may well have put his injury woes behind him at long last? In fact he could probably play more than Becchio given the chance. It would be interesting to see who would win that particular battle.The alternative as an alleged makeweight in a deal to bring in a full back is slightly insulting for a player who is still amongst the ten most expensive players we''ve ever signed.

@jonzey - depends on the valuation of him you have heard. If it is the £1.5mill including add on etc then he probably would make top ten but only just if he did.

Going back off the top of my head:

Ashton - £3million

Earnshaw - £2million

RVW - £8.5mill

R. Bennett - £3.5mill

Bassong - £3mill-ish

Turner - £2mill

Snodgrass - £2-2.5mill

Pilkington - £2mill

Garrido - £2mill

Then a host of players who I am uncertain about such as: E. Bennett, How son, David Marshall, Surman and Becchio who are all rumoured to have cost a similar amount to Vaughan if not more.

Chicken - you have forgotten Morison who was rumoured to have cost £2.7M. E Bennett & Howson were apparently £2M each. Surman was about £1.2M according to Sky (I can remember him listed on their exits page for Wolves).

I suspect he will move on if rumours that he and/or his partner have not settled are true. A shame as he is clearly a talent but seems to get injured whenever playing at Prem level - always manages a full season when loaned to the Champs though.

The figure touted at the time was £2mill, so he''s there or there abouts. Only the accountants can tell us for sure. But the point is Vaughan is one of our record signings. My point is if we were looking for a striker to push for a place in the team behind RVW and Holty then why look elsewhere when we already have a player on our books who scored 14 in 33 last season at Champ level. If he was available to buy from Huddersfield for £2mill and said he was keen to push up a level and push for a place we''d say that was an amazing opportunity. But he''s already here so no signing on fees, no relocation headaches, and he''s tried and tested.Furthermore the guy is a naturally talented striker, and the only thing which has stopped him from truly making it as a top level striker is his injuries. Finally they now look behind him, the guy is surely worth a punt next season.

Sorry buddy but I never saw the £2million mark, definitely not as an up front fee anyway.

Most of the rumours I saw were around £1.5mill mainly down to Everton identifying we were taking a gamble on him. I believe the fee would have risen with add ons typically for things like appearances and goals - of which I think we can have few concerns about having had to pay yet.

Also, without being harsh to him, he didn''t set the championship alight last season. He did well, but not fantastically. He scored about as many as you would expect Chris Martin to score in a full season, and he is around the same age.

If we can get better in then I don''t see a future for him with us. He needs to start his career which has faltered several times now, a couple of seasons in the championship might just do that for him.

Norwich record signingsOk this list has an obvious flaw at the top, and there''s a couple of omissions too. But it lists him as £2.024mill, which if you look back on the Pinkun archives and threads on here is backed up.But it''s not the point, I think we will have to agree to disagree Chicken. I see huge potential in Vaughan. Last season he was coming back from a series of career threatening injuries and still banged in 15 in 33, which is phenomonal. I think he can push on and fulfil his potential at the top level. Surely a back up role at a mid table Premier League club such as Norwich is the next step up?And if it doesn''t work we still have Becchio, who although much derided on here, is very good but hasn''t actually been given a chance. I believe we have four strikers on the books who are capable of scoring goals. We don''t actually need to strengthen any further in my eyes this summer.

shame for Vaughan that its never worked out for him here, injuries haven’t helped.we could persevere with him, if he gets crocked again then questions need to be asked... or we can move him on, wish him well and spend the money on other areas of the squad.

@Jonzey: That source is woeful! Sorry but its European and the numbers are pretty shocking.

I am pretty sure that those figures are all over the place in terms of including add ons, not including add ons.

Dean Ashton for example, cost £3million - you don''t have to look far to have that confirmed. The only thing that I can think of for them to get to that valuation is that there was a sell on fee agreed and that after he was sold to West Ham they have added the percentage on.

I was wrong on Earnshaw, he cost us £2.5million - rising to £3.5million with add ons, again some of which I doubt were ever triggered.

Vaughan also scored 14 goals last season, not 15. And whilst a respectable total, not amazing by Championship standards. Becchio scored more in half a season.

The point is, by the end of the summer I very much doubt he will be anywhere near the top ten most expensive players we have signed - not that it really has anything to do with it.

Come the start of the new season he will be 25. He has some quality, of that there is no doubt. But I am yet to see anything of him that says mid-table premiership player.

And to add to that, would he be happy being third or fourth choice striker when what he needs right now is to get his career on track. I doubt he will push RVW for a starting place as he is simply not that good, so he has to try and go for that other slot, which I think will only become harder now.

It would be best in terms of pushing his career on and getting a good run of games to set him up for the final ten or so years of his career, and for us, for him to move on.

Apart from anything else he is out of contract next summer and if he want''s to leave he will be able to do so for free next year. So you have to look at it in terms of if we have no real intention of using him regularly then we need to move him on now.

[quote user="NCFC for life 1993-"]Maybe James Vaughan has girlfriend troubles??!!![/quote]

I doubt this. He''s currently in California having just left Bora bora on his honeymoon!

If it is club related its hard not to agree to some extent with his sentiments.

Last close season he looked like the only striker who was prepared to push and offer a goal threat yet was shipped out and a replaced in turn by Kane, Becchio and Kamara - only one of whom looked anywhere near good enough.

Now he is being offered as a deal breaker in other moves.

I am not saying the clubs decision is wrong (his injury record is not great, his record remains to be proven but he did offer something and now has virtually a full seasons fitness to start the season with) but he does have some pace which we have missed.

Good luck next season JV.  

The sheer number of injuries and operations Vaughan''s had would be a concern for anyone of his age, to the extent that it was never really worth buying him in the first place. It was too much of a gamble and we''d have done better saving the money towards someone more reliable. However, it''s a somewhat different proposition for a lower league team who can come in when no other PL team wants to touch him.

I may have dreamed it but I''m sure he made it very clear just before going to Hudders that he didn''t want to stay at Norwich. If that was so then Hoots wouldn''t try and change his mind

I admire him as a player but his tweets over this season does not change my thinking.

For me Vaughan goes down as Lambert''s biggest transfer error. Terrible injury record and never really set the Championship alight let alone the Prem.

Agreed , I dont recall him once wishing his employers well or comment on a Norwich result in his tweets...

Okay I know he doesnt have to, but he gave me the impression he didnt care much about his parent club who had paid him a years wages while injured.

At the end of the season I was waiting for a report or interview expecting some sort of comment of how pleased to get through the season and looking forward to fighting for a place in the Prem next year etc etc.Nothing from what I have seen.

Shame as I thought he looked good on the few occasions I saw him play

A while back, I thought Vaughan could be the answer to the fourth striker spot to replace Jackson. That is still a possibility, but I think City will look elsewhere. I would like to think that would be somebody like Jelle Vossen of Genk, whose goalscoring record in the Belgium league is better than that of Benteke. If the budget allows, £6m could bewell spent on him.

I have a friend who lives and works in Norwich but is a Huddersfield fan and travels up to all their home games and also does a few away. He is well connected to the Huddersfield boardroom and told me a couple of weeks ago that they want to sign Vaughan. However as soon as Derby also expressed an interest Vaughan''s father who apparently is a big influence on his son''s footballing career and acts as his advisor/agent is now trying to play one against the other.