Sign in to follow this  
havemyhowsonit

Pilks asking price of £5 million?

When he''s good. He''s good.

When he''s not its like playing with 10 men.

On average. I think £5 million is around about the price for him.

Also E.bennett £2.5 million is about right.

Sell these two. Bring in a quality winger with the money

[quote user="alartz"]When he''s good. He''s good.

When he''s not its like playing with 10 men.

On average. I think £5 million is around about the price for him.

Also E.bennett £2.5 million is about right.

Sell these two. Bring in a quality winger with the money[/quote]Woop woop. Troll alert. Nothing to see here people. Move along.

I agree that Pilks does dissappear in games but he and Benno are good players on their day. Why get rid?

Pilks is worth much more than 5m. He scores a lot of goals for a winger and he creates a lot of chances. On his day, he can be our best player and when he was injured, it really showed how much it affected our form.

Thats a good idea larter so when 1 winger is injured we wont have any replacements. I think left back and striker is a priorty. I would be happy if we went wiv pilks; snoddy and e.bennett.

This is a rumour from the ''people'' need we say anymore?

It''s the same paper that is claiming Holt want''s out and is considering a £2million move to Palace.

The paper is bonkers. Pilkington is currently one of our two best wingers. Why would we let him go at this time?

Also, who would sign him for £5million. The rumours of interest from Liverpool died off last summer really, and the only other team linked to him was Stoke when Pulis was there.

Again, doubtful.

I could see E.Bennett going but not before another winger comes in.

Another factor is that I heard rumours towards the end of the season that Hughton sees Snodgrass possibly being a central midfield option for next season, so could it simply be a shuffling of the pack?

We paid almost 3 million for him, when he was proven only in League 1. On his day he is our best player IMO. Think he had a very impressive stat in his first season (cant remember exactly what it was, it was something like highest scoring player from midfield in the league).

For that reason I would value him at 8 million currently. He''s still young, bypassed the Championship so one could argue his first season was part of his development, rather than the finished product, and like all our attacking players, given far fewer opportunities to look like an effective player due to our change in focus, and an increased emphasis on defensive responsibilities.

Left foot? Right foot? Head? I think the guy is brilliant. He''s clearly not the finished product yet, but why are people baying for players to be jettisoned when they are clearly still developing.

Prior to Lambo''s departure, I was expecting a big season from Elliot Bennett. Thought his first season he was clearly showing promise, but trying to accomodate the step-up from League 1, which I think he did pretty well. I thought this season just passed would be the season he moved up a level after a year of development, but sadly, Hughton coming in impaired his development, but I still think this step up can come for him. Think EBs defensive work is superb so think, had it not been for Snoddy''s arrival he could have been a very effective player in Hughtons system. Still think there is loads to come from both Pilks and EB. They offer a variety of different threats and I think EB could have a role as either a RB or RW (as he offers a direct threat to use as a different weapon to Snoddy''s cutting in)

Keep both Pilks and EB. Not for sale IMO

Which club would be looking at pilky, think a lot of our players need to prove themselves over another season. I cannot see any team above us looking at any of outfield players as improvement to their starting positions.

I must admit I am getting lost with how football has got ridiculous in fees. I think pilky is worth 5 million but with the ridiculous fees in the uk I can see why some bring him up even higher. I really hoped football transfer fees would calm down but with bale at 80 mill, Carroll at 30+ a few years ago and of course that is without all the fees of great world footballers it just hasn''t.

Anyway unless he believes he has an offer pilky will be here for another season. With better players around him and he can show what a good player he is.

I do think wide players are needed and I can see eb being surplus to requirements. We need genuine performers.

The Great Mass Debater wrote the following post at 23/06/2013 11:53 AM:

We paid almost 3 million for him, when he was proven only in League 1. On his day he is our best player IMO.

But the problem is, how many times is he ''On his Day''?

Very few of our players are attractable to teams above us. Does hat not tell you something? We need to improve!

We need players who are good players when they have an average day and exceptional players when they are ''On their Day!'' We are not at that point yet, in fact, we are still a long way from it.

£5M would be a good price.

How many more times does this need to be said. Joe Allen went for £15 million. Andy Carroll went for £35 million.

By this measure Pilks is worth about £50 million!!

Does the op know we need a squad of quality players. Get rid of two, bring in one quality/expensive replacement. And then what? It doesn''t make sense.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]The Great Mass Debater wrote the following post at 23/06/2013 11:53 AM:

We paid almost 3 million for him, when he was proven only in League 1. On his day he is our best player IMO.

But the problem is, how many times is he ''On his Day''?

Very few of our players are attractable to teams above us. Does hat not tell you something? We need to improve!

We need players who are good players when they have an average day and exceptional players when they are ''On their Day!'' We are not at that point yet, in fact, we are still a long way from it.

£5M would be a good price.[/quote]

I would argue that under Lambert he had more on days than off days. Tierney was awesome under Lambert, nowhere man under Hughton. Not an anti Hughton post, just pointing out that players can perform quite differently according to circumstances.

I would argue that if a player clearly has that ability, the coaching team need to work on how to get the best out of him and make him more consistent. Look at the transformation in Hoolahan when Lambo came, and when his role in the team was fundamentally changed.

I agree Pilks is inconsistent, but I again point out that he is developing, and is something he needs to work on with the coaching team in order to improve. (Not saying he''s in the same league, but look at Ronaldo - Man U fans baying to sell him after a season of promise but no end-product. Some good coaching and look what happened)

Some players are developing within our squad. Let them develop, dont throw the baby out with the bathwater!

Pilkington is the only player we have who is really comfortable on the left- we look so much more balanced with him in the side. It is noticeable that all our best runs and performances came with Pilks in the team. We need to bring someone in who is comfortable on the left to compete with Pilkington but we do not need to sell.

Am racking my brain but, cannot think of any other PL team that would be improved by having Pilks and Benno in their line-up.Turn it round another way and would we seriously be worried about facing a team with those two up against us?When I suggested last summer that it was time to replace these two with better, I got howled down. Now, all this conjecture about whether we could get 5 or even 8 mil for Pilko is just so much ''pie in the sky''. What are these other teams going to be basing their bids on? Last season''s performances?The pair together are not worth £5m and I honestly cannot see any bidders from the PL coming forward anyway - maybe a championship club with some money to spend is our best bet.

Who we gonna get, tom ince ? 6-8m no thanks, never played in a top league and they askin for that. Redmond looks good and would be great competition for the other 3 wingers.

Why even think of getting rid of Pilks. On his day he is a match winner and has scored some very important goals. If he isn''t performing then substitute him.It is a squad game. As for the price £5m is well short of the mark. with players like Ince being touted at £8m and Moses went for £9m then I think Pilks with 2 solid premiership seasons behind him is in the £8m to £10m slot. As said before we paid well over £2m and there will probably be a sell on clause to Huddersfield

''if'' we''re playing a lone striker next season ,then its imperitive that the 2 wide men chip in with  goals. Snodrass will  get his share but a good proportion might be free kicks. We''d have to be lucky in the transfer  market to  get  another wide man like Pilkington, who will get a decent amount from open play but  crucially too,be comfortable and provide balance down the left....we certainly dont have anyone else at the club currently who can  do that?

If our budget was going to be that small i shouldn''t imagine we would of paid £8.5m for a striker and trying to sign another around the £5m price.

Pilks has managed 12 goals in 2 seasons of prem football - not bad for a young midfielder who was recovering from a significant leg break in his 1st season and then hampered by both the teams more defensive set up & a series of niggling injuries last year. He is properly 2 footed & is always a goal threat.

Are people seriously saying he is not good enough to get into the likes of West Ham, Stoke, Sunderland & even Villa.

Some of you need to support our players a bit better - they have kept us comfortably in the last 2 years (11 & 7 points clear of the drop zone). Yet some of you seem to think they should all be dumped at the first opportunity! Give Pilks a new 3 year deal!

[quote user="Orford65"]Am racking my brain but, cannot think of any other PL team that would be improved by having Pilks and Benno in their line-up.
Turn it round another way and would we seriously be worried about facing a team with those two up against us?

When I suggested last summer that it was time to replace these two with better, I got howled down. Now, all this conjecture about whether we could get 5 or even 8 mil for Pilko is just so much ''pie in the sky''. What are these other teams going to be basing their bids on? Last season''s performances?
The pair together are not worth £5m and I honestly cannot see any bidders from the PL coming forward anyway - maybe a championship club with some money to spend is our best bet.
[/quote]

Binner alert!

Evesham, I have no problem with your post.

But the word comfortable, we stayed up comfortably!!!!!

I do not think this year we stayed up comfortably if Wigan was out of the cup then they could have had a good run. We struggled over 20 games and no wonder pundits who have no connection with us have said we will struggle. we have added just one new player to a team who struggled for wins

I do not share there view as I know we will add more players, but I will never say we stayed up comfortably, even in the first season we struggled to get mathematically safe.

I believe we have some very good players, our defence looks impressive, if naughton returned I would be delighted. But we can move on in our midfield, if pilky was on the bench it would mean that we had someone else who was even better starting which would be amazing.

I like pilky, hoping he can play a full 90minutes for most of next season if he keeps his place. Roll on the summer with new players.