Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Messiah

Time for a new badge???

No,no and even more no but then again for all the good Mr McNally has done I do fear for our history and heritage in this day when money is king. It did not take long to cleanse the 59''ers lounge of it''s memorabilia and also sending representatives to funerals of ex players and managers seems to have fallen off the radar in recent times something that would never have happened a few years back. It may sound trivial but to me it matters.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]

As I mentioned in earlier reply, I''m fine with our badge....but have to point out that it has been changed at least a couple of times before, and each time looks like it was improved.

Also, must mention that from my experience as an ex-pat we are probably one of the least known and recognisable Premier League teams. An example is, I was with several coleagues this week from Turkey and we discussed the Premier League, and when asked who I supported I was faced with a load of blank faces when I told them.......seriously.......then I went on to tell them a little more about Norwich City, and when I mentioned we are called "The Canaries" they laughed, why?.....because they thought the only side called the Canaries was Fenerbache, I kid you not (I suppose ID get the same response from the French and Nantes). I receive blank faces from almost everyone I speak to of various nationalities about football and The Premier League when I mention Norwich City....its really frustrating as I am so proud of our great club....partly expected though, but still frustrating. Our great club is still hardly on the radar when it comes to a global football brand I''m afraid........ 

[/quote]

Quite. It is possible to improve the design without making a radical change. As to people abroad knowing little or nothing about Norwich, that chimes with my experience.  But shouldn''t be a surprise. How many NCFC fans could say anything much about Wolfsburg, who finished 11th in what is probably the best league in Europe? Or about similarly-placed Cagliari or Nice?

I''ll never forget holding that Pan ''Shiny'' sticker of our canary on that ball for the first time and feeling the hairs rise on the back of my neck!

No tweaks, no changes and no debate or discussion.

LEAVE IT BE FOR GODS SAKE.

"...As to people abroad knowing little or nothing about Norwich, that chimes with my experience. But shouldn''t be a surprise. How many NCFC fans could say anything much about Wolfsburg, who finished 11th in what is probably the best league in Europe? Or about similarly-placed Cagliari or Nice?..."

Recognition is picking up here at least. Not from shirt colors, but just wearing my grey shirt with the club badge is getting "so you support Norwich then?" comments fairly frequently,.

So I suspect it''s the combination of a) it is a distinctive badge and b) we are in the Premier League and so getting the TV exposure.

What maybe could do with a make over is "on the ball city" - I don''t know how, but that''s a piece of histiry that seems to be struggling to remain relevant; but maybe it''s a case of not trying too hard to incorporate it and just let the fans get on with singing it when approprate?

"What maybe could do with a make over is "on the ball city" - I don''t know how, but that''s a piece of histiry that seems to be struggling to remain relevant; but maybe it''s a case of not trying too hard to incorporate it and just let the fans get on with singing it when approprate?

"

Make over OTBC? Er, no thanks.

As for letting the fans decide when to sing it and to scrap it being bleated out by fans at predetermined times, many know my opinion on this.

Slow it down, scrap the cheesy "3,2,1..." at the start and bring it back to the classic way.

It''s not me being ''old and grumpy'' either. I''ve never actually heard it being sung slowly at the carra at all. But I tried it with a couple of mates and thought it sounded much, much better.

The current badge is perfect and does not need changing, so it''s a no for me.

But I do agree with Stig regarding the Liverpool kit last season. The minimised badge looked great and probably helped perfect what is one of my favourite shirts ever. So Liverpool didn''t actually redesign their badge, it was just used differently on the shirt.

In the 2014-15 season, as an antidote to next seasons abomination of a shirt I''d love to see Norwich do something similar.

Let''s put this slightly differently.Delia and MWJ are ready to sell up and step down.  A consortium of Malaysian businesspeople are ready to invest £100m into our club, including a significant transfer budget and an increased but still sustainable wage structure, on condition that we change the badge and the team colours to be a better fit with the foreign market.Deal, or no deal?

[quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"]Let''s put this slightly differently.

Delia and MWJ are ready to sell up and step down.  A consortium of Malaysian businesspeople are ready to invest £100m into our club, including a significant transfer budget and an increased but still sustainable wage structure, on condition that we change the badge and the team colours to be a better fit with the foreign market.

Deal, or no deal?

[/quote]

Some people would sell their soul for short term pleasure only to find, later, that it''s tough to regain what they lost. If we are dealing in hypotheticals a better question might be, "If such a deal only had a longevity of five years or so, would we be able to go back to what we once were without too much being lost in the process?"

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no!!!!!

[quote user="Josh"]no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no!!!!![/quote]Mods, surely this should be in the "2 Unlimited Lyrics" forum?

I remember a rumour from about 15 years ago, when we did away with the green shorts and had the all yellow kit.. it was a transition to move us away from yellow and green, to all yellow, to yellow and red, to all red....how true this was I am sceptical, however I don’t agree with changing the badge

[quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"]Let''s put this slightly differently.Delia and MWJ are ready to sell up and step down.  A consortium of Malaysian businesspeople are ready to invest £100m into our club, including a significant transfer budget and an increased but still sustainable wage structure, on condition that we change the badge and the team colours to be a better fit with the foreign market.Deal, or no deal?[/quote]What the new owners did at Cardiff was hugely disrespectful to the history of the club, and to the fans. But they are now in the Premier League as a result of their investment, and I''m sure could now answer that their strategy of changing the clubs colours to one considered more ''lucky'' in the owners culture has paid off. My answer to them would be the change in colours had f*ck all to do with it, and their investment in new players had everything. So what you''re effectively asking is; is it worth sucking corporate c*ck to be showered with rewards? Is it worth selling your soul to the devil if it means you get some shiney shineys? I''d answer no. There are infinite, more morally acceptable ways to acheive success. Bending over for foreign investors who couldn''t give a monkeys about our history and culture will always be wrong.

Some ideas from "out there"     3 guesses which club..... Maybe a canary on a map of Norfolk?  Maybe with green spots and "where football takes flight?  [:^)]

Or maybe just leave well alone - if it ain''t broke......  

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]New? No. But that doesn''t rule out a tweak or two. The design of the ball, with those three lines of shading, is amateurish. You could have the ball in yellow and green segments, as with this Nantes badge. It would look much better:

FC Nantes logo 
[/quote]

Problem is it''s a ping pong ball, and not a football. That''s unless someone has managed to genetically breed turkey sized canaries?[8-)]

[quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"][quote user="Josh"]no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no!!!!![/quote]Mods, surely this should be in the "2 Unlimited Lyrics" forum?[/quote]

Haha! oddly enough that 2 Unlimited song came into my head when I typed that

No never & no.

Badge redesigns are for money making purposes to sell kit or register as copyright. Not for the soul of the club

LDC

HTFC are Hitchin Town, the other "Canaries". I have always hoped that one day we play them in the FA cup or something. The commentators couldnt really refer to either side as the Canaries,

would love to see the team arrange friendlies against Hitchin and Fenerbahce, both sides are known as the Canaries and we could have a "Canary cup" or something.

There have been a spate of recent badge changes across Europe, Everton and PSG being the most famous examples.

The reason being that shirt makers (especially Nike) have put pressure onto the clubs to ''simplify'' the badges so it makes production costs cheaper and profits higher. I would imagine Nike might chuck a couple of extra £s at the clubs to agree to this of course.

Even taking my rose-tinted spectacles off I really can''t see how anyone could look at our badge and see any need for change. It''s bold, simple, clear, self-contained, instantly recognisable (in part thanks to the colours) and references the heritage of the city with the canary, lion and castle.

For me the single most significant thing is that immediate recognition comes despite the fact it doesn''t have the words ''Norwich City'' or similar on it anywhere. I hate to use the term ''brand'' in relation to my club, but given that someone earlier in the thread already did, I posit that you really can''t beat that for brand recognition. Look at other badges in the Football League and there are very few that can boast the same claim.

Whatever club PR departments might vomit out about ''heritage'' and ''progression'', most recent badge changes are entirely down to commercial reasons which for me at least is a slippery slope to soul-selling.