Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Messiah

Time for a new badge???

Could anyone foresee us changing our badge to appear more "dynamic" like other clubs such as Everton have done? Personally I''d be against it as our current one embodies us very well but as Cardiff fans know almost anything can be done to increase commercial opportunities. 

The history of our badge can be found on this website  http://www.footballbadgesguide.com/ 

Wouldn''t even entertain the idea.Our badge is excellent, really portrays the city and the club and there is ZERO reason to consider changing it.What''s happened at Cardiff and Everton is a joke tbh (especially as Everton''s looks like it was drawn by a kid!).

New? No. But that doesn''t rule out a tweak or two. The design of the ball, with those three lines of shading, is amateurish. You could have the ball in yellow and green segments, as with this Nantes badge. It would look much better:

FC Nantes logo

Its a good question and one that I immediately answered NO....but, then I thought about it. 

When talking about change its always easy to avoid it, and whilst I personally think the club''s badge is fine, I would certainly agree that for the club to obtain the maximum from its brand EVERYTHING to do with the brand and image should certainly be reviewed regularly, and the badge is no exception, particulary as it is the main part of branding all things Norwich City.   

So, all I would say is.......that when looking at our previous badges, one thing strikes me when compared to the current badge, is the actual outline shape of previous badges looks slightly better than the very basic shield shape of the current badge, whilst the design of the contents of the current badge seems to be spot on.  Consequently, I think the badge could be ENHANCED by the minor change of the shield shape and taking a quick google to look at the names for shields, this would mean a change from a "curved" badge to an "edged" or "bevelled" shape.

OMG...I''ll go and get my anorak.....cant believe I just spent time doing that...OTBC

Ive thought through the bevelled and edged options and still think what we have is perfect.

I''ve not seen the green canary one before and the two in the middle look a bit amateurish.

I thought a canary on a leather football was an official one from the not so distant past?

Our badge is one of the best in the world! It stands out more the any other in the Premier League not just because of the colour. It''s the first one you notice on match of the day!

So no change please!

Depends... I''m not against change, but if the club did an Everton and just dolloped out a badge that clearly missed out on focus groups then that would be different. If the new badge was shown and put to a vote, or multiple new badges including the old one were voted on then I wouldn''t mind. The badge we had in the championship was horrible, the green border was not great and it was so small - so nothing like that.

Liverpool is a good example of a badge design done right. They went back to a design from the 80''s(?) and it looks good on their home shirt - perhaps the canary on the ball alone would make a nice change!

[quote user="Stig"]Depends... I''m not against change, but if the club did an Everton...

[/quote]

How about we do a reverse-Everton and add a motto in Latin?Prudentia cum cupiditas.

[quote user="TheRock"]maybe we can stoop to as low as Ipswich and put stars on our kit for the Milk cups [/quote]or perhaps copy their idea for a new club logoipswIch tOwn Uor RIPswich town

as to us, absolutely no

IMO there are some really clean and districtive club badges around - including Bolton, Fulham and Swansea, but I think ours holds up perfectly well with those - as do Derby, West Brom and Man Utd.

Not bad, but no cigar - Birmingham, Brighton, Charlton, Chelsea, Crewe, Hull, Liverpool, Man City, Palace, Portsmouth, Reading, Sheff Utd, Southend, West Ham, York.

Then the absolute garbage badges - Arsenal, Bradford, Cardiff, Doncaster, Everton, Ipswich, Huddersfield, Leeds, MK Dons, QPR, Sheffield Wed, Spurs, Stoke, Villa, Watford.

Clubs that essentially use their town''s coat of arms are at least "traditional" even if rather messy, but those above are just terrible... and quite a few of those clubs have had good badges in their past...

So in summary - leave our iconic badge well alone!

It''s unique, like OTBC.   Part of our heritage and history.    Some things can be changed for the sake of progress, other things should stay as they are. The badge should stay as it is.

As I mentioned in earlier reply, I''m fine with our badge....but have to point out that it has been changed at least a couple of times before, and each time looks like it was improved.

Also, must mention that from my experience as an ex-pat we are probably one of the least known and recognisable Premier League teams. An example is, I was with several coleagues this week from Turkey and we discussed the Premier League, and when asked who I supported I was faced with a load of blank faces when I told them.......seriously.......then I went on to tell them a little more about Norwich City, and when I mentioned we are called "The Canaries" they laughed, why?.....because they thought the only side called the Canaries was Fenerbache, I kid you not (I suppose ID get the same response from the French and Nantes). I receive blank faces from almost everyone I speak to of various nationalities about football and The Premier League when I mention Norwich City....its really frustrating as I am so proud of our great club....partly expected though, but still frustrating. Our great club is still hardly on the radar when it comes to a global football brand I''m afraid........ 

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]

As I mentioned in earlier reply, I''m fine with our badge....but have to point out that it has been changed at least a couple of times before, and each time looks like it was improved.

[/quote]

That is true.   I  only hope that if it is ever changed it maintains it''s core image of a canary on a ball or stick.  My worst nightmare would be some computer geek''s corporate style creation that tried to put too much into what is basically already a simple and clear logo/badge.

No, no, no. That''s no, not ever. OP, call yourself a fan. Not unless you asked the question to get a wholehearted rejection. The badge is iconic, perfect in my opinion, not fussy, truly fits our brand.

No

Are the symbols out of date? Are there any new ones which might replace them? Do we wish to lose the City of Norwich connection? Do we wish to forget the common hobby but perhaps no longer quite so common - the canary. I think that the answers to all these is a resounding "No!"

Could the representations be more modern, even cartoon like? Could we have a different shaped shield, with sides curling over? I think that we would lose something - tradition!

I can see no reason to justify a major change.