Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Chris Martin - Free

Did we really get nothing for his signature?

All that development and sending him out on loan for nothing.

Why didn''t we sell him last summer, as it was pretty clear he wasn''t going to feature last season. We clearly had the numbers too, as Vaughan got loaned out.

Having said that, i''d rather have Martin than Kane!

Maybe no one wanted to sign him last season, knowing he''d be on a free next summer.

Also, Norwich will have been given a fee for the loan, which probably wouldn''t be too far off the fee for a full transfer of an unused player with one year left to run on a contract.

The market is flooded with nearly men and has beens at the moment. It usually is this time of the year but it seems to be more so now due to the impending FFP rules. Far better players than Martin are available on freebies.

Suspect he deliberately ran his contract down so he could get a signing on fee. Cannot blame him but with hindsight we should have got rid when we got promoted from the championship

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Suspect he deliberately ran his contract down so he could get a signing on fee. Cannot blame him but with hindsight we should have got rid when we got promoted from the championship[/quote]

Heard he was offered to Millwall as a makeweight in the Morison deal, but turned it down.

"All that development and sending him out on loan for nothing."

yes, it''s not like he ever played for us or scored any goals

we should only coach and develop the youngsters who are going to be sold for a good fee - the rest should be shown the door

[quote user="City1st"]"All that development and sending him out on loan for nothing."

we should only coach and develop the youngsters who are going to be sold for a good fee - the rest should be shown the door

[/quote]

Dion Dublin and Bobby Zamora were shown the door.... Whoops!

Zamora was also rejected by West Ham and Chelsea around that time tbf.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Suspect he deliberately ran his contract down so he could get a signing on fee. Cannot blame him but with hindsight we should have got rid when we got promoted from the championship[/quote]

Yes but easy to be wise with hindsight - didn''t he start our first four games in the Prem? So presumably Lambert hoped/thought he could make the step up and wouldn''t have wanted to let him go

I thought there was talk of us getting a payment in return for not taking up an option to extend his contract? Not sure what happrened tho

I agree it''s not ideal to develop a player for years, just to see them released.The same applies to Smith and Adeyemi I assume. I''d assume the only way to guarantee a fee at some stage is to tie them to expensive long term contracts to force a fee. But I suspect that would cost a lot more in wages in the long run assuming they don''t play, and would severely hamper their chances of ever moving if there are equivalent players available on frees. If the above is correct that he turned down a move as a makeweight to Millwall he probably either quite liked the higher wages here, or felt he could break into the first team more regularly.The accountants at Carrow Road would have done their sums based on what the manager assess their future to hold and would have calculated releasing them on a free is the best financial option. That''s the modern world of football!

Jonzey wrote the following post at 24/06/2013 1:31 PM:

I agree it''s not ideal to develop a player for years, just to see them released.

............. but that is exactly what all the top clubs do when they loan developing players out. They get other clubs to develop them and even get them to pay for the privilege. Then they sit back and either enjoy a much better player (Lukako) or a player whose value has risen considerably before they sell them on.

No wonder there is such a division between the top clubs and the also rans.

There just doesn''t seem much point in a youth team really though. Same old cycle.

We''ve had some real quality not given a chance in the first team.

Adeyemi won an award for apprentice of the year 2 seasons ago and he''s not had a sniff of a chance since.

Rudd has long proved a class act and even had a great game when he played last season in the premiership yet Mark Bunn and Lee Camp were both signed and chosen over him.

Steer stands no chance if Rudd doesn''t.

Smith was forgotten about after our promotion.

I just don''t see how any of our youth players will ever get a chance, we could have the next Wayne Rooney sat in our youth teams and we wouldn''t know because he''d never get a look in.

Surely there is 10-15 minutes at the end of a game where a youth player could be brought in to shake things up, someone the opposition won''t have scouted. Even Ryan Jarvis managed to work well versus Liverpool when we did this. Yes he didn''t work out, but at least he got a chance.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="City1st"]"All that development and sending him out on loan for nothing."

[/quote]

Dion Dublin and Bobby Zamora were shown the door.... Whoops!

[/quote]

oh dear

oh dearie me

(I think the word is whooooosh)

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]Jonzey wrote the following post at 24/06/2013 1:31 PM:

I agree it''s not ideal to develop a player for years, just to see them released.

............. but that is exactly what all the top clubs do when they loan developing players out. They get other clubs to develop them and even get them to pay for the privilege. Then they sit back and either enjoy a much better player (Lukako) or a player whose value has risen considerably before they sell them on.

No wonder there is such a division between the top clubs and the also rans.[/quote]That is absolute nonsense.Clubs like ourselves have benefited immensely from the likes of Lansbury and Forster. We got their services at way below the ''market rate'' ie subsidised wages.Players will always be moving around that is the nature of the game which is why "That''s the modern world of football! is also innaccurate. Players have left City after years of ''coming through the system'' for decades.There is nothing wrong with the system whatsoever - what is wrong is if you don''t have the ability to recognise if a player will succeed. The few times they do succeed actually prove the exception ie clubs get it right.I don''t recall similar squeaks on here about the unfairness of it all when we signed Bradley Johnson or Steven Whittaker.

I think IF he gets his head down and worked at his game with Nigel Clough he could  get another chance as a teddy sheringham type in the premiership but that is more up to chris himself ........

Imagine we went down, Yeovil, Derby and Birmingham came up with Smith, Adeyemi and Martin starring and us wondering why we got rid.

Not saying it''s ever likely, but stranger things have happened!