Sign in to follow this  
Tim Dawson

Pilkington v Snodgrass

After hearing my two lads argue and debate who is best out of the two, i attempted to add dads philosophy to gain living room peace !!

My argument was basically Pilkington on his day is the better player but Snodgrass is a bit more consistant but to no avail.

So for a bit of fun i put to you the pink un posters who do you prefer ( no on the fence replies ha ha ) let the voting begin ........i might get some peace then !!

When Pilks is at his best he''s a lot better than Snodgrass. But we don''t see that very often.

Say, if we had to keep one, at the moment i''d have to say Snodgrass, even though I prefer Pilks as a player. I''m fairly sure the stats will tell you Snodgrass has done more for the team and showed signs of progression, whereas if anything Pilks was worse last season than in the previous.

Fear the day when both players are both on song in the starting 11. We''ve not seen it yet but when it happens, it could be a riot.

If the middle of the pitch also join in...but that areas the weakness in my opinion.

If Pilks had the consistency of Snodgrass, you''d have a hell of a player

Snoddy has a better work ethic and a better assist ratio although this could be because he lets no one else take any free kicks. Pilks has the better goal-scoring ratio however.

I actually thought Pilks dead balls last season were generally better than Snods this season. Snod has the occasional perfect ball, but about 85% of his FKs and corners are useless.

Quite a tough one this.

I''d say Pilks has the higher ceiling but Snoddie generally has the better application.

There seems to be a bit of a myth (in my opinion) about how hard Snodgrass works and how much better he tracks back. I would say there have been games this season when Pilks has worked hard to help his fullback where Snodgrass has left his badly exposed. Sometimes Snoddie will put in an eye-catching kind of lunging tackle that makes it look like he''s "getting stuck in" when maybe he isn''t really that much.

Having said that, when things aren''t going right for Snoddie he does keep trying. When Pilks isn''t "on it" he does seem to disappear out of games.

Snoddie had the better season but probably wasn''t probably as good as Pilks was the previous season.

I''d edge towards Pilks because I think he''s got more in his locker to hurt you with - you just don''t see it all often enough.

Do we want both to be the same on different sides? Has any team really had the same balance on either side of the pitch?

All I''d ask is both take on the opposition more to get a little further down the line/into the box more. Both are capable of taking on the big name players on.

I hope the Wolf will nipping in will give them more of a target

Snodgrass performs for 25/30 games a season, pilkington maybe 15?

Pilks blows hot and cold and has been injured a few times this season, however....often disappears from the game for large periods, whereas snodgrass is always involved. You''ve got to account snodgrass work rate aswell, he''s often back in the RB position backing up rus whereas pilkington rarely defends in comparison.

If pilkington performs on a more consistant basis then the argument would be fair, but based on last season it''s snodgrass without a shadow of a doubt. He was our most around productive player and has a huge seaso ahead

There''s no doubting that Pilks can be too hit and miss, but he was excellent in our first season back, chipping in with goals and assists and providing some of the best crossing accuracy in the entire league.Last season he was far less effective (but also had more injury problems to boot), but things like his header against Man Utd, or some of his finishes from the edge of the box have been very impressive. Let''s also not forget that he''s genuinely two footed, meaning that if he''s attacking a defender they''re never quite sure which way to push him as he''s comfortable going either way.Snoddy on the other hand offers a bit more consistency in exchange for raw potential and overall talent. I''d argue that he''s better with the ball at his feet from a close control perspective, but his dribbling is often a tad predictable, which along with him being pretty one footed most of the time (he can use his other, but chooses not to) means that he doesn''t get past his man as often as you''d expect.They can both cross a decent ball, and both can be good at taking set pieces (although Snoddy has been VERY hit and miss at times), and both are clearly our first choice options for the roles when fit.Overall I''d argue that Pilks is the better player of the two when on form and in full attacking flow, but getting him to provide that on a consistent basis seems to be the real challenge...

[quote user="Vaughans Stiff Upper Lip"] You''ve got to account snodgrass work rate aswell, he''s often back in the RB position backing up rus whereas pilkington rarely defends in comparison.  [/quote]

Who does the most slide tackles?
Snodgrass

Who helps protect their fullback better?
Pilkington

Snodgrass, no contest............Pilkington goes missing too often and doesn''t always look interested.

Pilkington has more class, but doesn''t show it often enough.I hate to say it, but Snodgrass has a long way to go to.  A trier, yes, but shows too much frustration, often overuns the ball or fails to get it in the box with quality.   Hoolahan often fails to deliver the right pass too.   The combination of Snodgrass Hoolahan and Pilkington is one of the reasons we struggled to score last season.     There is quality there, but not enough, often enough. Out of Snodgrass and Pilkington?  Pilkington.

snodgrass is so much more consistent and his work rate is much better But would say pilks has more of a goal threat from open play in games and can actually head the ball

Its quite amazing how Snodgrass'' freekicks are lauded. Yes I know he scored a few and got a few assists, but he almost completely monopolises the set pieces. Its almost law of averages. And some shouldnt have been goals (goal against Southampton springs to mind). So many of Snodgrasses set pieces fail to clear the first man, its so frustrating.

I think that although Snodgrass created and scored some chances, he also allowed many chances to fall away by cutting in and losing possession, when clearly a cross from the byline is needed. The beauty of Pilks is, he can do both - he can cut in, he can get to the byline. Cant rememebr which game it was but he did both in one move, got to the byline, dummied then cut in, equally comfortable on both feet.

Pilks is inconsistent, especially away, and Snoddy''s defensive contributions are far better. But Pilks is the more dangerous in my opinion.

What impressed me most about Snoddy though was that towards the end of last season, he began to cross with his right foot, a clear attempt to be less one footed and to give the team a byline threat from the right. If he can effectively add that to his game he will be a much more effective player this coming season. Pilks just needs to add consistency.

Pilks is better in my opinion, but they have different qualities, so a like for like comparison is unfair!

Pilks is also dangerous at set pieces remember the free kick away at Villa first season back in the prem and against Ajax in pre season maybe if he was given more of a chance he would score more free kicks, I think we miss pilkington more then when he doesn''t play then we do snodgrass