Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

Victor Wanyama

Southampton and Cardiff City are set to battle it out for the signature

of Celtic''s 21-year-old midfielder Victor Wanyama, who is valued at over

£10m by his club.I would love us to join in the battle.

Southampton seem intent on spending serious money and would be my bet to win the race for this player if they want him. Cardiff may spend a bit of cash but have a squad of decent championship players and will struggle this season imo

It frustrates me a bit that we aren''t in for this guy. In January he was linked with Arsenal, Spurs, United. Now Soton and Cardiff. If we could get him for 10m then I would say go for it.

The idea of Wanyama, Toivonen and RVW down the middle for us is...well.

For this to happen I think we''d need to secure Toivonen so we have competition for Hoolahan because thats a more pressing issue...

But then, do we really need a CDM? With Tettey and Johnson and Howson able to play that role...

I think I''ve just talked myself out of this...

What''s the point of being debt free, I read some where Southampton are in over £100 million in debt yet they can afford 10 million for wanyama and I''ve seen them linked with a striker for 17 million

Where is the logic from some posters?When suggestions have been made about going back to Celtic with a new offer for Hooper, all we''ve heard is a load of dissent about how it''s "only" the SPL, and that he''s hardly set the world alight in the CL etc, yet when someone suggests Wanyama, who''s in the exact same team, has proved LESS than Hooper (due to his age), and is likely to be twice the price - all of a sudden it''s a great idea and there''s nothing wrong with the SPL etc...Dual standards for the win yet again it appears...

We haven''t sold our soul though. When the luck runs out at Southampton, they will have one almighty mess to sort out. They just have to hope that it doesn''t run out any time soon. I guess they need 3 more seasons in the prem for the gamble to pay off for them. We are simply making money and this can only be a good thing.

Should both of us get relegated this season, we''ll be far better equipped to deal with it.

Indy Bones - I think it''s based on what they''ve seen of the players. When I saw Hooper play a few games I wasn''t that impressed. But everytime I''ve seen Wanyama he''s been excellent.

As pointed out that at this time, both Southampton and Cardiff have major backing who not only will pay big money on tranfers but will also pay bigger wages.

Yep we can all hope that they follow the Blackburn and Pompy models of living outside their means in the long term but for now have bigger spending power that us.

I''m not sure I would rate Wanyama at 10 million for Norwich to buy, tha''ts another big chunk of the transfer funds on a single player. I would like to see us out there and buy a few young internationals as Villa have and a couple of big impact players to complement RVW.

Wouldn''t be unhappy if we did sign Wanyama but not sure he is within our budget.

Cardiff''s spending power isn''t that big - the owner talked about £25m for new players, but quickly changed tune and starting talking about how the exisiting team was good enough to ensure survival (it probably isn''t).

Southampton''s owners don''t put that much money into the club anymore, due to family disputes, but they entered the Premier League with no external debt and are in a similar position now to Norwich. Much is made of their spending last summer, but in reality it was just them spending the money gained from being in the Premier League.

Last season after Reading signed Pogrebnyak (sp) everyone was fretting over how much money they were going to spend, it never materalised. I think Cardiff will be similar this season.

Looks like Southampton have agreed £12m fee... I really don''t get why he would move there. Surely a better team will come in?

They are really splashing the cash again. Lovren just signed for £8m and now this!

Perhaps both will flop and that''ll be £20m down the toilet?

Let me put this to you, Bassong and Tettey or Lovren and Wanyama?

Wanyama has turned down the contract offer from Southampton, although they will probably go back with a second offer.

The extra moneyin the Perm means players like Wanyama, Lovern and Wolfswinkel will end up playing for clubs that most see as beneath their ability level.

Well I think on last season''s evidence i would take Bassong over most centre backs and certainly would have him priced at over £8m.

I do rate Wanyama and so would probably take him over the second half of the season Tettey but then the first half of the season Tettey was immense and its hard to know how Wanyama will adapt to the premiership.

On balance i''d take Bassong and Wanyama but i do think if Tettey can get his fitness back and have a full season he could really start to make a name for himself.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Let me put this to you, Bassong and Tettey or Lovren and Wanyama?[/quote]I prefer Bassong to Lovren, but I also prefer Wanyama to Tettey...On the basis of real transfer fees though, we''ve done MASSIVELY better for value, as both Lovren and Wanyama are clearly overpriced for their actual ability levels...

Well said Indy Bones - Celtic only paid £900k for him, less than two years ago, and what exactly has he achieved since then, to be valued at over 13 times the original price? Giving Owain Tudor Jones the run around is hardly the basis for a £12m fee.

Celtic will be laughing all the way to the bank. Whoever the CEO is at Southampton is a mug

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Looks like Southampton have agreed £12m fee... I really don''t get why he would move there.-v                                                                ^                                                                                    |                                                                 |__________________________________________|[/quote]

Brilliant against Barca, terrible against Juve. Very hard to judge a player based on what I have seen but 12M is a lot of money.

SkySports news are reporting that Wanyama''s agent is asking for a million pound payoff, that''s on top of the inflated price being asked.

Judging by the story on sky, it''s one of them rare occasions I agree with the agent. Southampton have offered way over the odds for him, monopolizing the market and now think they can pay him an unacceptable amount of money as no-one else will match their bid. Now Celtic will say "there you are victor, you wanted out, there''s your option" again Celtic playing hardball may cost them.

I think I''m one of the only ones who thinks 10m isn''t an inflated price for Wanyama. I''m still hopeful we''re one of the clubs on his tail...

I think we have to be careful of what we wish for here!

Wanyama will probably be damanding a hefty wage, where will that leave the team harmony, from the likes of Snodders, Pilks and Howson to name a few.

Balance and team moral is key for us agains next year, yep we need quality players who will improve the starting 11 but at the right price and impact. We don''t want to follow the likes of Pompy & Ippo.

Not sure I would like Wanyama here to be honest, not like he''s done enough to command 12 million in my book, a bit like Hooper too over inflated. Good business for Celtic who paid under a million for Wanyama, if this does go through.

Out of interest, the people saying he''s not done enough, what would you expect him to have achieved at Celtic that he hasn''t?

Shoe on the other foot, would you say that Norwich buying Hooper and Wanyama for a combined fee of 20 million not to mention the wages is good business?

For me he''s only 21 and not played in any high profile league to warrant such a fee. But it''s down to Celtic to value him and the buying club to match that valuation.

Makes me wonder what Johnson would be worth given his performances for a mid table premiership team?

I didn''t say anything about Hooper, nor about good business sense. ;) I merely asked what has he not done.

It seems your reason he has not done enough to command such a fee, is that he plays in Scotland and is young.

Personally, I think 12 million is a lot of money, and too much for us to spend on a single player right now.