Sign in to follow this  
Devils Advocate.

I am going to ask something so blasphemous .........

I will have to go into hiding.

The future of Norwich City is tied to one individual , like never before. Just supposing RVW is a flop. Is there a plan B bearing in mind the dreaded transfer window ?. So many of you want to see the back of Grant Holt, you have no faith in the untried Luc Bechio, which leaves James Vaughan,who would rather be anywhere else. Is it right to pin all hopes on one man?

You should go into hiding for asking something so stupid in the first place.

Think about it.

We will sign more players than RVW.

What are you going on about? Nobody is tying Norwich''s future to one individual. Everyone just hopes and expects RVW to make a solid contribution. If not there will be other capable strikers waiting in the wings.

Much better than last year at this time when our hopes for the immediate future were based upon Morison, Jackson and Kane to back up GH.

The future''s brighter, the future''s yellow.

The difference here is that we are buying something thats the real deal, we are no longer in the position where we have to gamble on finding an undiscovered gem.Which therefore makes his chance of success much, much greater.

Not a bad question. There is every chance that RVW will be a flop, get injured, become homesick or fights with the club regarding wages. I trust that the club will have somebody as a plan B....but I wouldnt bet on it.

If we''re still sat here with the same striking options and Vaughan has left in 2 months then i will get nervous RVW may get injured. Until then, i will wait impatiently for more names to roll up at FCR.

I don''t think you need to duck for cover.

I was going to make this response in the thread about the WOTB ITK poster. But it seems somewhat more relevant here.

Last season were much improved defensively. Now, by that I do not mean goals conceded. I mean that the quality of the defensive side of our game has been much improved through coaching and new personnel.

One of the hardest things about having a team that is good defensively is that no matter how good they are, they cannot be fantastic for 90 minutes. They need a hand, a break at times to regroup and regain composure.

For that you need to be able to put the opposition on the back foot, keep possession and threaten the opposition goal.

We were not as good at that last season as perhaps we should have been for whatever reason.

RVW is a fantastic signing, and we all hope that he takes to the premier league like a duck to water but bringing in foreign players always brings some risks, he may not settle in quickly, he might take a little time. Some people have even argued that the first season tends to be the hardest. Of course there is the chance that he may not be a success at all (Diego Forlan at Man Utd for example).

However, I shall be disappointed if RVW is the only player of that stature that we sign this summer.

No disrespect to the players listed on the other thread but would anyone seriously put any of them in the same sort of bracket as RVW?

Redmond, Livermore, Bridcutt - all are relatively unproven. Of which Bridcutt is the oldest at 24 and has three good seasons behind him in the championship. They have the potential to be good, but we know RVW is already good.

Now at the moment these are all obviously rumoured links and I am far from convinced that we will get them all and firmly believe that we will go out there and get another one or two players of a calibre similar to RVW.

I doubt we''ll have put all of our eggs (so to speak) in one basket. RVW will need some help, some quality around him and whilst we do have some players already here I think we''d still need one or two more.

Toivonen might be one of those types of players and it''s interesting that since he has stated he is in talks with us there have been few links to anyone else.

I''m sure Hughton knows what he is doing. And I think the club operate pretty well under the radar and I still expect one or two signings that will take us by surprise.

Just keep the faith.

RvW doesn''t have to score many to equal a fading Holt, but it may be that Premiership defences will restrict him in his first season to single figures. So what happens?

I am expecting us to sign at least one other striker, especially if Vaughan goes, and any newcomer could contribute goals - something the second striker last year failed to do. I think that we shall also score more goals from the midfield, especially if Toivonen or other attacking midfielders are signed. In addition, right at the end Howson showed what he is capable of if played in his real position.

I have little doubt that we shall score more goals this coming season. We shall have strengthened the defence, I hope,  with a little depth, and also encourage wingers to bomb forward. I do not expect the goal-shy central midfield combination of Tettey and Johnson to continue, so there may  be  goals to come from the more defensive part of the midfield.

So long as the wingers, perhaps reinforced by Redmond, also a goal scorer , continue to score goals we should be able to overcome any drought while RvW adjusts to the Premiership.

What the Dutchman will bring is someone who needs little space, which he can create himself from his excellent positioning, and once he has it is lethal with either foot.  Have no fear!