Sign in to follow this  
Joanna Grey

Nursey

Is this guy for real? How can a Sports Journalist and NCFC fan be so out of touch? A recent tweet along the same lines as all his other "cash strapped City" messages.

"Hughton didn''t go back in for Davies as #ncfc spending remaining transfer cash on a top striker & cover at left back & wide"

We did not need Davies, we have already bid for an AM (Toivonen) who is not a striker, LB or wide player. No wonder he gets so much stick on twitter.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Is this guy for real? How can a Sports Journalist and NCFC fan be so out of touch? A recent tweet along the same lines as all his other "cash strapped City" messages.

"Hughton didn''t go back in for Davies as #ncfc spending remaining transfer cash on a top striker & cover at left back & wide"

We did not need Davies, we have already bid for an AM (Toivonen) who is not a striker, LB or wide player. No wonder he gets so much stick on twitter.[/quote]As one of the clubs official ''go to journos'' maybe his remit is to portray City as a cash strapped club, therefore making it less likely we''d be held to ransom over inflated fees. It''s well known when a club has a large transfer kitty agents and other clubs will hold out for a higher transfer fee because they know a player is wanted, and that the buying club is loaded. Smoke and mirrors.

I don''t think he will be far wrong actually. Maybe he counts ola as the striker? Redmond and Olsson or the Nigerian are maybe the winger and left back

Nursey and Wyatt are the most reliable people on twitter for Norwich news.
Seriously doubt we are cash strapped though..... although did hear we had to borrow money to be able to sign RVW when we did.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Is this guy for real? How can a Sports Journalist and NCFC fan be so out of touch? A recent tweet along the same lines as all his other "cash strapped City" messages.

We did not need Davies, we have already bid for an AM (Toivonen) who is not a striker, LB or wide player. No wonder he gets so much stick on twitter.[/quote]

I am not saying Nursey is right, but Toivonen can play as a striker. He certainly has done for Sweden. I remember seeing him play up front against France in Euro 2012. It may be in Hughton''s mind to use him that way.

[quote user="ellis206"]although did hear we had to borrow money to be able to sign RVW when we did.[/quote] bearing in mind survival And did you also hear who lent them that money, bearing in mind survival was by no means certain at that time?

So if Toivonen is our "top striker" - £5m

Redmond is left wide - £3m

Same amount for right wide? - £3m

And cover at LB - Olsson/Elderson - £4m

That makes our Summer transfer budget £15m.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="ellis206"]although did hear we had to borrow money to be able to sign RVW when we did.[/quote] bearing in mind survival And did you also hear who lent them that money, bearing in mind survival was by no means certain at that time?[/quote]There was a warning in the accounts published late last year that we expected to run out of money for two months this summer, and that our bank was willing to provide a short-term overdraft. My guess is that was based on the assumption that we would spend most or all of the several million we had earmarked for the January transfer window. As it happens we spent virtually nothing, but then in the Spring shelled out £8.5m (whether all in one go I don''t know) from that January pile of money for RVW.If my guess is right about why we thought we would need an overdraft then it could in effect be true that we borrowed to sign RVW.

2h

Hughton didn''t go back in for Davies as spending remaining transfer cash on a top striker & cover at left back & wide

I don''t know how some of you see this as Norwich has no money. It means Hughton doesn''t want to waste money on another centre back because we already have enough quality and cover in that position. A striker, left back nd left wing is are priority right now unless we sell or release some players.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

If my guess is right about why we thought we would need an overdraft then it could in effect be true that we borrowed to sign RVW.[/quote]

I thought we had only paid an initial £3m. before the end of the last tax year (5th April 2013) and given that we were under the transfer budget (£9.9m  v £14.6m? budget) before we signed Becchio and we received extra merit money (5 x approx £750k = £3.75m) that was not budgeted for in addition to the next receipt re. Lambert, £1.25m. then funding the RVW. signing should not impact on this summer''s transfer signings. 

It may be true that we borrowed some money between early April and the receipt of the merit money.

With regard to  this summers transfers, it may be a case of timing the cashflows and trying to get the initial outflows re transfers closer to when the big receipt from SKY is due.

As we''re playing teams with the worst economies (USA, Mexico, Spain, Portugal, Greece, and England) I''d say that we are doing more than most to promote growth in the global economy, we''re not hard up, we are doing our bit.

On each of the away games Delia will increase sales in an item just by mentioning it in passing, plans for the first game will see her wearing a sombrero whilst tucking to some burritos and tequila.

Che''s right hand man

I don''t know how some of you see this as Norwich has no money. It means Hughton doesn''t want to waste money on another centre back because we already have enough quality and cover in that position. A striker, left back nd left wing is are priority right now unless we sell or release some players.

----------------------

Tangy:

I agree. With Russell Martin as a CB then we need a RB. (Naughton?)

Furthermore you are correct re a striker, left wing and a left back.

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

If my guess is right about why we thought we would need an overdraft then it could in effect be true that we borrowed to sign RVW.[/quote]

I thought we had only paid an initial £3m. before the end of the last tax year (5th April 2013) and given that we were under the transfer budget (£9.9m  v £14.6m? budget) before we signed Becchio and we received extra merit money (5 x approx £750k = £3.75m) that was not budgeted for in addition to the next receipt re. Lambert, £1.25m. then funding the RVW. signing should not impact on this summer''s transfer signings. 

It may be true that we borrowed some money between early April and the receipt of the merit money.

With regard to  this summers transfers, it may be a case of timing the cashflows and trying to get the initial outflows re transfers closer to when the big receipt from SKY is due.

[/quote]

Quite possibly. As you will have noticed I did stress that I didn''t know if we had paid the money in one go. As I understand it transfer money is normally paid in dribs and drabs. But with RVW the situation seemed to be complicated by two factors. One was his club needing its share of the money (£3m?) in a hurry, and the second was that RVW was third-party owned, so his other owners might also have wanted their money immediately. It is possible we did have to cough up the whole £8.5m straight away.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

[/quote]

As you will have noticed I did stress that I didn''t know if we had paid the money in one go. [/quote]

I wasn''t questioning your comment.

Like you I would expect most transfers to be paid for via a number of payments rather than in one go. The Accounts (via the Cashflow Statement and cash balance in the Balance Sheet) when they are published later this year may give us a clue re the RVW. transfer.

I''ve pointed all this out to him and he''s private messaged me on Twitter!

errr. norwich bid for davies several times as i accurately revealed in jan. bids were rejected. fail to understand what u r talking about

[quote user="Nicko"]I''ve pointed all this out to him and he''s private messaged me on Twitter! errr. norwich bid for davies several times as i accurately revealed in jan. bids were rejected. fail to understand what u r talking about[/quote]

Yes, well he would say that wouldn''t he.

"hughton wanted Davies in Jan (FACT) but my source says don''t want him this time as ncfc prioritising other players."

"we''ll agree to differ. if you had the funds to buy 5/6 players you would have bought davies. ch likes him & tried for him last x2 windows"

We need a CM, with RVW already in the bag that simply has to be the priority. That was the area of the pitch where our problems stemmed from after Christmas and it has to be addressed or RVW won''t get into double figures either.

I think the thing that gets me is his reference to "remaining transfer budget" when we have not spent anything this summer.

Other than Garrido.

We''ll have spent a fair bit at Colney, and having the pitch relaid at FCR and the other building works.

Even that shouldn''t put a dent in the budget though. McNally clearly stated on Twitter several times that RVW was signed from last years budget, and with the debt repaid last year and the new BT TV deal, funds shouldn''t be tight. At least not by our standards.

The bloke is a clueless idiot and seems to have no idea about anything to do with Norwich Charlie Wyatt on the other hand seems to be the only national journo who can sniff out an ncfc story Nursey is a wannabe who rehashes rumours in the hope that one day he will get something right. Doesn''t seem to know what Norwich need in terms of players let alone how much we have to spend.

[quote user="Nicko"]"we''ll agree to differ. if you had the funds to buy 5/6 players you would have bought davies. ch likes him & tried for him last x2 windows"[/quote]

We wouldn''t go for Davies, if the decision has been made to regard Russell Martin as primarily a CB.....we would go for a RB., e.g., Naughton

Tangible Fixed Assets anyone? wrote

"Peanuts in comparison to the funds available during this season...."

Yes, as I said in the paragraph directly under the one you quoted...