Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Bargains for some?

Huddersfield are reported as saying that they hope to sign both Vaughan and Butterfield for a combined fee of £2.5m. If they succeed, it will represent a loss on what we paid, but is this what we have to expect from risky signings in the recent past and also the need to create space for the new signings this summer.

I would be sad to see both go - in the summer of 2012 Vaughan looked our only fit and quick striker in pre-season games, and Butterfield came with great prospects, but I suppose if we wish to have a 25 man squad of genuinely Premiership quality, this is what we have to accept.

What do others think?

If this happens, I''ll feel a bit angry at the management for letting this go. We paid that for Vaughan and he hasn''t become any less prolific. He scored a few goals for Palace when we signed him for 2.5m, now hes scored more goals at Huddersfield, in the same league, and his value has halved.

And to add Butterfield into the equation, basically getting him for free. Utter nonsense and it stinks.

If we can get cash for Vaughan i would get shot. only a matter of time before he gets injured again and i saw nothing in his performances when he did play for us to show he has the pace or technique to be a top prem striker. We have to be ruthless and improve the squad.

Butterfield is a bit different as I still have some hopes he might (with a full pre-season) come good but again i guess it will come down to squad numbers and who we are looking to bring in.

Agreed, but I suppose we have to be thankful for something back considering all the players we seem to be letting go on frees.

I glean that nobody on here will be too surprised or too disappointed if these transfers come about. Something which indicates just how, gradually, CH is taking us to another level. I had very high hopes of both of them last year at this time but, with slight reservations about Butterfield, am gladly anticipating the use of this cash in contributing towards the likes of a Toivenen or whoever.

There is no way Norwich paid £2.5m for James Vaughan, at the time it was reported the deal was mainly made up of additional payments based on apperances and goals. Seeing as he has played 6 games for Norwich and scored no goals, I doubt any of the clauses have been met.

Regardless what Norwich paid for Vaughan, he really isn''t worth that much more than £1m, his injury record is a ticking time bomb and 23 goals in 63 Championship games really isn''t an outstanding return. I would say Norwich getting him off the wage book and getting a fee for him is a great return.

Can''t really say much about Butterfield as I have only seen his brief run out against Posh to judge him, but again he didn''t do particulary well at any of the clubs he went to on loan last season and getting a fee for a player low down the squad list is never a bad idea.

If this does come off for Huddersfield I think they will have done a good bit of business. Vaughan is gone in my eyes, simply didn''t settle here / make the step up - granted his opportunities were limited but you have to take them when you can.

As for Butterfield, wasn''t he supposedly a better prospect than the continually improving Howson?