Sign in to follow this  
Tommo

Aruna Kone

Mixed feeling about this one. he would have done a job but I would much prefer Hooper. The lure of Martinez at Everton, a bigger club and being based in the North West clearly made this a no win for us and Swansea. that said if I was Everton I would be somewhat disappointed if he indicated the types of signings coming to the club. can Martinez keep up the performances of Moyes or turn Everton into a bigger wigan only time will tell

Not bothered about this. Average player who has been overrated due to Wigan''s FA Cup win. He can go and play for his similarly overrated ex manager at Everton.

Holt is better than Kone in my book. His goal against us was just a hit and hope job and would have been saved by a decent keeper.

Don''t think he is what we''re looking for, we can do better

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Great news if confirmed. A huge bullet dodged.[/quote]At the sort of prices being touted I completely agree.At say 2.5 mil he''d have been worth a shout, but beyond that I''d rather spent he money elsewhere and clearly Hughton feels the same [:)]

A great player with good close ball control and pace and will do well at Everton. Release clause is 6m apparently but worth the money. Wages won''t be that high as Wigan don''t pay as much as us.

Given the predominant feeling of antipathy towards Kone, it shows how far we''ve come as a club when he is considered to be good enough for one of the PL ''ever presents'' and a team which finished sixth last season.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Given the predominant feeling of antipathy towards Kone, it shows how far we''ve come as a club when he is considered to be good enough for one of the PL ''ever presents'' and a team which finished sixth last season.[/quote]

Or, more accurately, it shows how arrogant and complacent many of our supporters have become to think that we are too big for Kone and that he wouldn''t be a major signing for us. I think some people are going to be in for a shock and wake up call next season with what they are expecting.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Given the predominant feeling of antipathy towards Kone, it shows how far we''ve come as a club when he is considered to be good enough for one of the PL ''ever presents'' and a team which finished sixth last season.[/quote]

Or, more accurately, it shows how arrogant and complacent many of our supporters have become to think that we are too big for Kone and that he wouldn''t be a major signing for us. I think some people are going to be in for a shock and wake up call next season with what they are expecting.

[/quote]

I agree with you CC, Kone would be a great signing and I''m noy sure what everyone is expecting next season.

I don''t really think that us fans have become "arrogant and complacent" or think that fans consider us, as a club, "too big for Kone."

I''ve quite fancied him since he came on as a sub against us last time around and effectively changed the game Wigan''s way (subject to memory lapse.) However there is something about the deal, the player and his persona and his representation that just doesn''t seem to gel with me now.

Very quick to jump ship, he now virtually dismisses all others except Everton (no less) in the same way that he is dismissing his present club, due to the Martinez factor. All fair enough, but under those circumstances I would not wish him to favour NCFC with his presence at Carrow Road, no doubt on high wages.

Besides, £6m for a striker approaching thirty who is not that prolific and might well be be slightly egotistical is not the way I want us to go nowadays.  

I am not tarring all City fans with the same brush Broadstairs (including, clearly, yourself) but I have sensed an unjustified over confidence since beating WBA and ManC which contrasts radically with the burning negativity with Hughton and results from January to Villa. We will still be one of the smaller teams next season scrapping for points and survival.

From reading numerous posts from numerous authors I believe that some fans see us now as a far bigger and far safer Premier Club than we are in reality and this gulf in expectation and reality will lead to disappointment and frustration when the football gets under way again.

Agreed and the biggest positive going into the new season is, IMO, the fact that survival seems to be that little bit easier than it has been for the past two.

Other factors, like a certain degree of disarray amongst others (Newcastle, Sunderland and perhaps Stoke and Swansea)plus the perceived weakness of the promoted sides will fuel our optimism.

To say nothing of the Wolfswinkel factor.

Hughton''s looking the part too. We come over as a club who knows where it is going and it appears that Kone is not that place.

Will he fit in a strike force containing:

Holt, Toivonen, Hooper, Becchio, RVW, Vaughan, Mboyo, Mbokani, Pato, (all the other guys supposedly joining us).

Maybe Hughton has had enough of the detractors criticising his negative football and is going with the 1-1-8 formation this season?

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="paul moy"]A great player with good close ball control and pace and will do well at Everton. Release clause is 6m apparently but worth the money. Wages won''t be that high as Wigan don''t pay as much as us. [/quote]Where did you learn all that guff from? Talksport?[/quote]I watched him a lot last season after an avid Chelsea fan friend of mine in The Gambia pointed out what a good player he thought he was. I saw nothing to make me argue against his valued opinion.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="paul moy"]A great player with good close ball control and pace and will do well at Everton. Release clause is 6m apparently but worth the money. Wages won''t be that high as Wigan don''t pay as much as us. [/quote]Where did you learn all that guff from? Talksport?[/quote]I watched him a lot last season after an avid Chelsea fan friend of mine in The Gambia pointed out what a good player he thought he was. I saw nothing to make me argue against his valued opinion. [/quote]I wasn''t referring to your opinion. I was referring to the highlighted ''facts'' you spurted out with such assurance.