Sign in to follow this  
Tommo

Aruna Kone

On daily mailwebsite us and Everton battling out for £5m signature. Very happy if it happens

Mixed feelings about this one.

If he signs then it probably is the end of Holt. He plays a similar sort of role. And I can''t see us spending £5million on a player to sit on the bench. So you''d be looking at him and RVW being the prefered strikers with Becchio and Holt on the bench with maybe Toivonen as back up although normally used in midfield.

Although if I was given a choice between Kone for £5million and Hooper for £5million then I''d go for Hooper.

Another emailed in from the beach rumour. Loving this.

Buuuut I''ll bite. Kone looked a quality in patches last season apparently scoring 11 in 33 for Wigan. Not sure he''s worth £5mill though at 29 years of age. Grant Holt is also faaaaar better so it also goes against our improving on what we''ve got policy.

For the most part I would agree with you Jonzey. That should please you! ;oD

Kone is a bit quicker though, although I would say at the expense of ability in build up play when compared to Holt who is probably a more valuable team player.

I heard somewhere that his demands were high.

It would be logical if he were to follow Martinez to Everton.

He is not a youngster anymore.

Good player but at £5m too many negatives?

Yes please!

This time last year whu were happy to pay nearly £5m for holt....Kone is a much better pl player than holt......and proven at this level now

[quote user="A Roeder Rubbish"]On daily mailwebsite us and Everton battling out for £5m signature. Very happy if it happens[/quote]I certainly wouldn''t be...Relatively high wages, a fairly high price for his age (especially seeing as how Wigan only paid approx 3.5 mil for him a year ago and they''ve since been relegated), and he isn''t an outstanding player or someone who has great potential for the future either.If he was available at half that price (or even say 3 million), then maybe he''d be worth an outside shout as a squad option, but I think we can do better tbh.

[quote user="clarkey1972"]Yes please!

This time last year whu were happy to pay nearly £5m for holt....Kone is a much better pl player than holt......and proven at this level now[/quote]

A much better player than Holt? Really?

Don''t get me wrong I think he''s decent and he''s younger and a bit quickerbut Holt is just as proven at this level.

He won''t be coming to us anyway, he has his sights set on Everton;

“Wigan have gone down, which is a real shame. It’s up to them to set out their stance about my situation. I aim to play for one of the best clubs in England, and I hope I will get the chance”.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]He won''t be coming to us anyway, he has his sights set on Everton;

“Wigan have gone down, which is a real shame. It’s up to them to set out their stance about my situation. I aim to play for one of the best clubs in England, and I hope I will get the chance”.[/quote]

"One of the best clubs in the country" - sounds like Kone is talking about us. [:)]

Aruna Kone = a slightly better version of James Vaughan

I would take him as a 2nd / 3rd striker, as he has the pace we are sorely missing.

RvW, Kone, Holt, Bechio will do it for me.

Don''t think he''s worth the cash to be honest. Especially at 30/31. I''d rather keep Vaughan if I''m honest!

RVW, Vaughan, Becchio & Holt.

I wouldnt be opposed to Becchio or Holt leaving for someone else though (not Kone)

If there was somehow we could reduce the fee for him to 2,5m then maybe it would be worth it!

Thing is, there are other Wigan players I''d be more interested in i.e Mcmannaman, Mcarthur, Maloney.

[quote user="Dr. Ink"]

Aruna Kone = a slightly better version of James Vaughan

[/quote]

In that Kone looks cut out to for the Premier League and Vaughan doesn''t.

I don''t really get why people think £5m would be an unreasonable fee.

If the guy gets 30 Premier League goals over a 3 year contract then that is £5m very well spent.

And he looks like he could give you that.

I think he will go to Everton as well as a bigger club and the Martinez link he will not even have to move house.  I put him on a par with Holt albeit slightly different style.At 29 he is 3 to 4 years younger and as such would be an asset to many sides in the top flight. I do not think the fee is out of this world people are talking £2m for Holt at 33. As to wages I suspect he would be expecting an uplift from Wigan who were by no means the biggest payers

Why do people here keep quoting Holt''s age as 33? He''s 32 and doesn''t turn 33 till April next year.

Unsure about Kone, I wasn''t that impressed with him last season so not sure he''s worth the money at 29.

I don''t really get why people think £5m would be an unreasonable fee.

If the guy gets 30 Premier League goals over a 3 year contract then that is £5m very well spent.

And he looks like he could give you that.

This is a good point imo. 10 goals a season from a striker seems acceptable in the PL. Unless of course you spunk some serious money. Therefore £5m is sod all really.

Why do people here keep quoting Holt''s age as 33? He''s 32 and doesn''t turn 33 till April next year.

Unsure about Kone, I wasn''t that impressed with him last season so not sure he''s worth the money at 29.

My opinion for what''s worth.

Holt is good for another season.

Kone good for 3 seasons

I hear you, but I am wondering if the 5m could be put towards somebody younger?

I agree that 5m represents good value if he can score 30 goals over 3 seasons, but personally I feel the money would be better invested in somebody like Hooper.

I''d take him for 5m. He didn''t score ridiculous amounts but he seemed to pop up at important times with match-winning goals. Hoots is about turning all our draws into wins, he can help.

Kone > Holt

Although I would keep both unless we sell Holt outside the Prem.

Kone''s goal against us was very good, I thought he had over-run it and he did look a certain type of forward we didn''t have last season. I think 5 million is a good fee, he will score goals in this league and with good players around him do a job.

I think Everton would feel more likely but I would have no qualms if it was here, I feel we could get some good service to him and he can score from all over the 18yard box. Not a bad player to be rumoured in getting and a different forward to what we have.

So you want to pay £5m for a guy who''s 30 in November, give him a 3 year contract (another one) and expect him to score an average of 10 goals a season up to the age of 33? ROFL.

For me he is definately the type of player we need to add to the choice of forwards we have and thinking about it 5 million, regardless if he is 30, is reasonable when considering some of the money being splashed around. We must have a minimum of four decent forwards and I would like to see a fifth as we are sure to pick up a couple of injuries plus loss of form needs to be covered too. That said, this one sounds pure paper talk to me.....