Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Peril

Will we buy a foreign player?

[quote]Worthy seems to be adopting a buy British or occasional Scandinavian player policy. Should he be casting his eye further a field?[/quote]

So much for kick racism out of football!

As for buy british - Helveg or Eddy, Safri or Holt, even Jonson or Henderson! 

At the end of the day I want the best players with the best ability playing for NCFC; if they are French (Henry, Zidane anyone) or Latvian  dont care but any signings must

1.  Fit in with our squad personality wise

2.  Be able to work with worthy and the management team (why sign players and then fall out with them a la Charlie?)

3.  Want to play for NCFC - give me a Jonson over a Francis any day

4.  Still have something to prove - without that desire we run the risk of buying a Tugay - supremely gifted player but at FCR was going through the motions only

5.  Not want to come just for a final pay packet

6.  Improve on the current squad.

I have had it with so called hard working British players who can not control a ball without juggling it first, cant pass further than 5 yards without missing its target and whose only attribute is the ability to cover every blade of grass - if that is their talent become a marathon runner or a groundsman.  I would work hard every game but would do city no favours at all.

Of course if the best available right back (for example) is ENGLISH then lets have him, we all like watching players develop to play for our country, which is why Deano and Greeno are so exciting - their potential is as good as anyones in the country.

Signing furriners is riskier as its hard to know how they will settle, but the argument is overstated and applies to english players too (Unsworth to west ham didnt last coz he was homesick) and that should be taken into account, but bearing in mind most players move quite regularly this is less influential now.

Widen your net worthy and see what is available, be cautious and accurately assess their personality and if they are mongolian who cares?

OTBC   

[quote]So much for kick racism out of football! As for buy british - Helveg or Eddy, Safri or Holt, even Jonson or Henderson! At the end of the day I want the best players with the best ability playing fo...[/quote]

What in the holy blue blazes has this got to do with racism??

I too find this situation very disturbing.Have we ever had a south american? Spaniard - ok, forget Segura. Portugese?Some Latin creativity would help our long distance runners no end - but let''s face it, Worthy doesn''t want anyone in the squad who isn''t completly predictable. Look at the difference Arca made to Sunderland''s team. We really need some flair in the passing department, or on the wing.

Zipper, I think you have mis-understood the poster''s comments. In theory, most gifted English players are already at top-clubs, and given the precousious money situation, we are unlikely to spend big on English / Uk based players, Ashton the obvious exception.

However, it often happens that little known overseas players come over, and play exceptionally well, and are often bought for very little. Players I personally like are Diop (fulham), Kamara (pompey), Kanoute (spurs)..... all were orginally brought into the country as "unknowns", commanding a small fee.

I feel the manager, and club is still weary after the disasterous purchases of the likes of, Diop, De Blassis, Anselin, Dewaard.....

I feel too many of us are obsessed with the Championship Manager style of bringing in 11 foreigners no-ones ever heard of, and then winning the treble :-) 

Great players can be found abroad.  Of course they can.  However, I think you run a much much smaller risk when you buy players based here.  You know that they will be familiar with the game, know the pace and style.  We need players who can perform in August, not December.  We found with Helveg and Jonson and players in the past that they just take so long to get into the English game.  It''s so so fast over here.  Now I''m really looking forward to seeing Jonson next year.  However, I don''t want us to sign players this summer whom we won''t see their full potential til 2007!

In the lower leagues, first div and Premiership there are some awesome players we could pick up.  I''d much rather have them than a foreign player. 

I remember at a fan''s forum several years ago Worthy was asked what he thought of the policy of bringing in foreign players, and his reply was something along the lines of: it''s a load of crap. Maybe he''s changed his point of view slightly, maybe he hasn''t.

[quote]So much for kick racism out of football! As for buy british - Helveg or Eddy, Safri or Holt, even Jonson or Henderson! At the end of the day I want the best players with the best ability playing fo...[/quote]

Ye Gods!, Zipper me old mate, where did the old racism card come from?.

Look, I''d never want German players to play for City, and I''m half German!, no, its because I know what the Bundersleague is like mate, full of cheats!.

But as I said, to call me racist would be absurd. And I just love your posts, but this one has me flumexed.

I would love old ''Useless One'' to stick to British (Black or White!) but of course, I fully acknowledge the good performance''s of our foreign brigade.

But this is not, I repeat not, racist.

In fact to mention mongolian players (Is there any?) could in  certain quarters, be considered as racism in its purest form!.

When I was a boy in Norfolk ( many moons ago ) I was constantly bombarded by the phrase from all quarters with phrases like “You on’t want that stuff, it’s foreign in’t it” or “You dornt know what those foreigners put init, do ya”. Imagine my surprise, when going out into the world, to find “what those foreigners put into” it was, more often than not, a bloody sight better than I found at home. Although the modern version of this prejudice is dressed up in somewhat of a more subtle manner, it saddens me to see the young of today in the land of my birth uttering the same kind of nonsense as I used to hear may decades ago.. Get your collective heads out of the Norfolk fens. Zippers is absolutely correct on this. It does not matter where a good player comes from...a good footballer is a good footballer, period. As to the pace of the English game, a pace which Norwich could not measure up to this past season, much of it is dictated by the non-British  presence in the Premiership. Pace is not dictated by running up and down the pitch as fast as you can without going anywhere. It is dictated by the sheer skill of moving into space quickly or the insightful pass threaded through a porous defence ( and boy, do we Norwich fans know all about that one ). Incidentally, if fast pace is the name of the game, I have not seen too many English boys running away with the kudos in the 100 metre dash in Olympics of recent past.  Many dictionaries refer to racism as “the theory that human abilities etc are determined by race”. If that odor is not present in some of the utterings on this thread then, I confess, my sense of smell has disappeared. If Norwich City are to become an established Premier team we had better learn how to scout and acquire talent from whatever shore it emanates because, failure to do so, will have us behaving in a manner that is different then every other team finding success at the higher level. Restrict yourself to a pool of talent from a smaller playing field and I am afraid you will end up on a smaller playing field ( metaphorically speaking ).

P.S: I remember the days when the computer industry thought it was not a good idea to hire Asians to work in their industry. Try selling that theory today without hearing a giant sucking sound.     

YC never stand in dog mess,you''ll never know....your sense of smell has obviously gone!!

I don''t think the issue is anything to do with nationality; Worthy knows that he must make a swift return to the Premiership or the current squad will be dismantled in a year''s time. If Deano & Leon score regularly but the defence keeps shipping goals then they could be off in the January sales. Whatever players come in MUST be able to perform from day one, not just from February onwards. Everyone associated with NCFC must surely also be aware that we cannot afford to employ players who are simply not good enough, no matter how genuine they may be as people (Holt, Fleming etc) - Worthy has to improve the squad, not merely add to it.

Some suggestions: I like the idea of Joos Valgaeren (Celtic) despite the injury concerns, also Kenny Lunt (Crewe-unfortunate spoonerist name!), Kris Commons (Notts Fst), Freddie Eastwood (Southend - to replace Swedish Matty), Kelvin Wilson (Luton), Jan Kristiansen (Esjberg - bit of a gamble bearing in mind the above comments but very exciting), Phil Jagielka (Sheff Utd). I don''t know where a right back (or two if Helveg leaves) will come from - any suggestions? The above list contains two centre backs, one experienced & one similar to Shacks, two centre midfield, one left & one right midfield & one striker with potential making seven players which is Worthy''s five plus replacements for Svensson & Holt/Francis/Brennan.