Sign in to follow this  
Buzz Killington

Jed Steer off to Villa

I cant help but wonder if Hughton loaned out both players last season to see which he was going to keep, Rudd obviously has impressed Preston and if you look at their forum they see his signing as a real coup and that he''s ready for championship football.

Steer was offered a contract? He rejected it to join villa so we clearly wanted to keep him.

Funny how most fans didn''t care adeyemi and smith have left and will no doubt both have a successful career in the championship, we will probobly regret losing them more so, they''ve played loads more pro games than steer.

Understudy to Guzan would be a bold move by Lambert given Steer''s total

lack of experience at this level, so it does appear that he''s switching

one set of pine for another...If he''d rather go to Villa (or has

clearly been told he has no future here), then so be it, I''m not going

to lose sleep over a young keeper who may not even have played for us

for another 3-4 years at best...

Good luck to him if that is what he wants but if he is the only player Lambert takes from us then its hardly anything to lose sleep over. I''m not sure he is tall enough to be a top class keeper at that level.

So a few weeks ago Villa were linked with Ruddy in the press and they ended up with our 4th choice keeper! There was some quality well informed journalism there. Realistically we could never have kept both him and Rudd happy so was always going to happen.

Mcnally has tweeted saying we expect considerable compensation for him and he rejected a contract from us to join Villa

Fair play to the lad, he obviously isnt the type to sit in the reserves in a mid table team and take the money, seems he would prefer to sit on the bench and maybe get the odd run out even if it means stepping down a level and joining a relegation scrap

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Understudy to Guzan would be a bold move by Lambert given Steer''s total

lack of experience at this level, so it does appear that he''s switching

one set of pine for another...If he''d rather go to Villa (or has

clearly been told he has no future here), then so be it, I''m not going

to lose sleep over a young keeper who may not even have played for us

for another 3-4 years at best...[/quote]I think it''s more a case of under Lambert, Ruddy was number 1 and Rudd was number 2. Rightly or wrongly Lambert had no qualms about sticking Rudd in if Ruddy got injured. Luckily we will never know if that was backing youth or a suicidal gamble.Hughton had Ruddy as number 1, and Bunn as number 2. Then when Ruddy got injured, he signed Lee Camp. So the message to Rudd and Steer would have been not to expect to be the number 1 for a good few years. Steer would have got the same treatment as Rudd, a new deal then farmed out on loan to prove himself. Wouldn''t be surprised if Lambert''s tapped Steer up and told him he''ll be the number 2, grabbing the shirt if Guzan gets injured. He''s desperate to move Given on, and I expect him to do a deal to get rid of him.

Guys,Some of you are now famous as your posts have been extracted by the Birmingham Mail.http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reactions-norwich-city-fans-say-4723292

[quote user="Louis Cyphre"]Guys,Some of you are now famous as your posts have been extracted by the Birmingham Mail.http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reactions-norwich-city-fans-say-4723292[/quote]Hope Archant enforce their copyright as per the t&c''s and spunk the money from the birmingham mail settlement on new forum software.

A couple of years ago somebody somewhere, probably Lambert, said that Jed Steer was a bigger prospect than Declan Rudd.

But with Steer having to make do with a non-league loan last season and Declan Rudd keeping SIX clean sheets in thirteen games for a poor Preston side last season, I wonder whether Mr Lambert will be proved wrong.

When Joe Lewis left the justification was that we had Declan Rudd coming through. That was a bold decision.

At the moment we have one keeper who is making a big impression in League One, has done well when called upon by us, has an England Under 21 cap to his name, and was clearly seen as more ready than Steer by the current staff.

In the meantime we have the England goalkeeping coach at the club at a time when Rudd has clearly been rated more highly than Steer.

Could it just be that, no matter how good Steer, we still own the better prospect of the two?

It is entirely possible that Jed Steer will become an excellent keeper in due course, but clearly there are enough people in the game who believe the same of Declan Rudd.

Perhaps we are the club with the real diamond and Steer is just the victim of coming through a little after a superior keeper - Declan Rudd.

I wish them both the best though, both local boys!

People seem to think we have let him go.

We didn''t. We offered him a new contract and he rejected to go to Villa. He left us. Best of luck to the lad, I don''t understand the decision, but obviously he''ll have his reasons.

Still got a long way to go before he becomes ready for Prem football

We did indeed offer a contract, but he let his current one run down - though we still get the transfer fee because of his age (and given our c10 years invested in him, it ought to be a decent amount).

IMO he knew he was 4th in line here and CH/DW didn''t seem to yet trust him to be proper understudy (as we saw last season) so maybe he decided to look elsewhere to try to breakthrough. Villa do play in the euro u-21 league tourney, so maybe that swayed him, better scope for the ''bigger'' games. I do wonder at how much Villa are making of it though, good luck to the lad but he was 4th choice here when all is said and done.

Indeed Icecream snow the longer time goes on the more convinced I am that if Lambert had stayed he would have relegated us maybe not last season but eventually. Even now he doesn''t seem to make a priority of defending, his style of gung ho football is great to watch but thankfully we have moved on. Will he ever ? strange considering Cully was such a good defender.

I never saw the point of bringing in Lee Camp - did he even make a save? That would have been demoralising for Steer to know that the manager had so little confidence in him.

Paul Lambert can currently do no wrong in the eyes of most Villa fans. He steered them to safety despite some very precarious moments and they did it with some decent football which has given them hope for a better future than the last few seasons.

"We wouldn''t have made a signing like this under previous management." is typical of the hype that their fans are surrounding this signing with.

It ''aint that good surely.

As with a lot of what PL does there is an element of risk, particularly if young Steer is to be put in the number two role after Guzan. They have another youngster whose nose must be put out and Given, the ideal back-up is not wanted because his wages are too high.

Should Guzan sustain an injury then it looks like Jed Steer will be thrust into the Premiership fray just as Rudd was the season before last when, I believe, Ruddy was suspended. Riskeeee. 

There is nothing boring about PL''s approach. His seasons here were surely amongst the most eventful three in our entire history and bettered only by Walker''s first spell at the Club. The supreme risk-taker, there is a lot to admire and his bunch of new signings (including Steer now) are typical of the man''s cavalier approach. One day he might, just might actually come unstuck. I have become ambivalent to his future as I believe we came out of the whole saga smelling of roses and that Norwich City, as a club, would be slightly more vulnerable than the edifice that is Aston Villa should such an approach go wrong. However, he is one lucky b-gger to boot, deserves the such and will probably go on to better things, either in the Midlands or elsewhere.

It will be a helter-skelter ride at Villa Park which could go either way, especially if Benteke is lured away by a top-sixer, which is on the cards.

In the meantime, I remain content with this outcome, assuming the arbitration is generous, as we have bounteous strength in the goalkeeping area and headed by John Ruddy, thanks to Paul Lambert''s risk taking. 

It''s an inevitable part of football that players move on. In particular, the lure of a bigger club and a charismatic manager must be hard to resist. I wish Steer well.

I was impressed of what I saw of him. Certainly, at West Brom away in the cup he had an outstanding match. It must have been somewhat disheartening to see Camp brought in as number three which may have had some impact on his decision-making. But, what we know about Hughton is that he very much favours a caution first approach.

What it means for us is that we will have to go out to market for a third keeper most likely at the expense of a squad position, if we go for an over 21 which, based on last season goal keeping decisions, seems the most likely.

To be honest, this whole thing isnt really a big deal, and its only the fact that the papers love stirring up the Lambert connection that this story has received the attention it has. If our fourth choice keeper has got himself a second choice slot then best of luck to him.

I wonder if anyone knows if we have a recall option on Rudd?

Cant blame Jed for wanting to leave, with Ruddy injured, Rudd out on loan and Bunn in the starting line up, he must have thought he would be spending some time on the bench.  Unfortunately, Hughton didnt show any faith in him when he brought in Camp so that must have been a kick in the teeth. 

We offered him a contract so we will get some compensation, but knowing Lambert, we will have to go to tribunal.  They must be sick of his name.

Its always tricky with keepers, managers don''t tend to chop and change them throughout the season, and we found ourselves in the position of having too many choices.However this makes me wonder if a lot of our fans, desperate for the "local boy comes good" story have maybe over rated Jed? This is no disrespect to him, and I hope he does well, but as has already been said, this is all very similar to the Joe Lewis saga, so this really could be the best outcome for all parties.If Lambert makes him number two then its a bold move, it doesn''t matter how much potential the lad has, his lack of big match experience ( England under 19''s etc really doesn''t count as big match) could mean he gets found out very quickly in the Premiership.

The most annoying thing about Steer leaving is the need for Norwich to get a 3rd choice keeper, at best one who is under 21 so doesn''t count to the 25 man squad - but that would then open up the problem of clashing with Rudd.

As long as Norwich are in the Premier League then I can see Ruddy being first choice for the foreseeable future, Rudd and Bunn will almost certainly both leave before Ruddy but last season shows the need for reliable, talented back up options.

I presume Norwich knew Steer would be leaving before they sent Rudd on loan to Preston so can also presume that a new 3rd choice keeper will arrive, Richard Wright anyone??

[quote user="Kangaroo Court"]I never saw the point of bringing in Lee Camp - did he even make a save? That would have been demoralising for Steer to know that the manager had so little confidence in him.
[/quote]

I think you''ve hit the nail on the head there KC, Hughton brought in Camp because he didn''t want to be in the position where Steer would come on e.g. away at Sunderland.  Personally I think Camp did ok but you could see the difference from Ruddy and Bunn, which is why he''s been released.

Lambert is just willing to gamble with a young untried keeper as one of his backups (my guess is that Steer will be 3rd choice there).  Makes you wonder what would have happened if Ruddy had been injured in our first Prem season.

Forgot to say - I think it was Camp''s miss for Kone''s winner at Wigan which was his big mistake, a near post shot which you''d have expected him to save.  Just goes to show how small a chance you get to succeed at Prem level.

Although Steer is undoubtedly as good prospect, he was a long way off playing for Norwich or even being a regular on the bench. With his wages off the bill, I would imagine they will now go to one or two of the youth cup winners who''ll get a full time pro deal.

There is a statement from McN on the official site now saying:

1) We offered a new contract to Jed, but he chose to go to Villa

2) We shall be seeking a substantial compensation.

So it seems that it was poaching, before his contract came to an end, and enticement from you know who. It will probably take some weeks for the tribunal to decide. Perhaps substantial could mean a few hundred thousand, I can''t imagine any more. A nice piece of work if Steer fulfils his talent and becomes worth a million or two. Perhaps we could ask for a sell-on clause!

I guess Hughton thinks highly of Rudd, who is now vastly more experienced than Steer. Still gutted to lose 2 good young keepers (Angus gunn now a pro at man city!), in a short time. ''Keepers seem to be our bag.