Sign in to follow this  
Buzz Killington

Jed Steer off to Villa

[quote user="RonnieCorbet"]Theres no if about it, quotes from Lambo on Villa''s official site.[/quote]

There is. So far as I understand we still hold his registration until either a fee is agreed directly with us or Villa pay what the tribunal sets.

If Villa refuse to pay what we want and then what the tribunal sets out then his registration remains with us.

There is no way he willget in our side for years, I suspect he may not get too many games for them either. We will get some compensation but probably not a lot. I am more bothered on who we are going to get in to be honest

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Nicko"]All the Villa lot are talking about it. Think its a done deal. I know he''s go excellent potential. But if we can hang on to Ruddy then we''ve got a keeper for the next ten years. Who really see''s Steer coming into the first team with Ruddy still at the club? If we get a million or so for him then that''s a million we can put towards Van Ginkel or Toivonen.[/quote]

No, it just means their fans listen to the same daft ar$e rumours our fans listen to!
[/quote]

[:D]

Well an English based player - capped at U20 level? Corr - after the tribunal we''ll be millionaires! (Rodney)

Not too worried about this, personally I thought Rudd''s all round game is better just Steer made that wonder save at West Brom which made his profile shoot go through the roof. I don''t know if he''s going to be Villa''s number 2 keeper but I personally wouldn''t want such a young and inexperienced keeper at this level more than for the odd game,

I am quite glad that we have moved on from Lambert''s policy of (re)building the Squad on the cheap and it seems kind of weird that he is still carrying on with it at such a "huge" club as Villa.

[quote user="JayNCFC"]Well an English based player - capped at U20 level? Corr - after the tribunal we''ll be millionaires! (Rodney)[/quote]

It was a simple another question, if we get a million then so be it ,more money we have to spend on attacking players, will we get another keeper in as rudd is going on loan and we released camp

Don''t know anything about the lad but as back up to Guzan that should keep us covered for the next 10 years or whatever

[quote user="mbncfc1"][quote user="JayNCFC"]Well an English based player - capped at U20 level? Corr - after the tribunal we''ll be millionaires! (Rodney)[/quote] It was a simple another question, if we get a million then so be it ,more money we have to spend on attacking players, will we get another keeper in as rudd is going on loan and we released camp[/quote]

Good question, my feeling is that Hughton wants 3 experienced keepers so someone else is probably lined up.  Could be that Steer just wasn''t willing to accept what he was being offered to stay here, in which case fair enough.  Keepers don''t command the same fees as other positions, which I always find odd as I''d rate keeper as the next-most-important slot after centre-forward.

I guess his head will have been turned by the fact that Villa are in that Euro u-21 league thingy; he obviously wasn''t going to break through here for several years being what, 4th choice, so fair enough. I don''t quite get Villa supporters glee though, getting our 4th keeper isn''t that big a coup, surely, however good a prospect he might be.

"I sort of wonder if there was any sort of tapping up going on"As it goes on with virtually every transfer there''s no reason to think it hasn''t here. That''s why there''s agents.However I think your other point about his chances here is at the root of it.I''ve no concerns taht McNally hasn''t got the best deal and as I''m sure everyone is sad to see him go, more so to Villa, but hey ho it''s not Ruddy so I think we''''ll survive ...... and maybe pick up a few more quid as his career progresses.

ps maybe the club knew this and that''s why they signed the young keeper from Luton

Oh look, here''s AJ to tell us all - this time last season he was telling us they owed £0 for Lambert (cost: nearly £2m).

I was under the impression that Villa had the best set up around so it does seem odd they want our 4th best keeper, but whatever turns you on.

I''m a little surprised at this move.  But Steer was never gonna be a number 1 for us, so if we''ve got nearly half a million for someone who''s barely featured for the club, that''s decent business.  Where''s Joe Lewis now and remember the fuss about him?

Good luck him...

So from 4th choice here, to 2nd best there? Wow

Although Lambert was always happy to have Rudd as back up to Ruddy in our 1st season in the Prem.

Is that faith in youngsters, or a cost cutting measure?

They still have Shay given who is on about 65k a week and has another 3 years left on his contract, I know there trying to get rid of him but who''s gonna want him with them wages and can''t see him leaving by mutual consent

just because he came through our youth system doesnt mean he is good, people get sentimental when we let players go who have been kicking around for years without making much contribution... i thought he was rubbish against leicester in the cup and didn''t he go on loan to cambridge last year? don''t think he''d have got much game time if he stayed til he was 30 but good luck to the boy...

Who says he''s gonna be their #2?

If he is, then he''ll be in for a new contract. Next thing you know ol'' Jed''s a millionaire. HAH!

Did we ever come up with a song for him? In retrospect, maybe something based on a Tears for Steers, like Shout.

Villa fans seem to think they have signed Joe Hart, and we are their feeder club if signing a team`s fourth choice keeper signals that then football has certainly changed

My (hidden tic) point Houston was really that he would, more than likely, be only 3rd choice at Villa, so tbh what was the point in the move? Someone else said he would be better off going to a ''Yeovil'' and playing regularly.

Nothing against him, but doesn''t seem a great career move, more like £s

I wasn''t picking on you, cc. Several commenters seemed to be taking up the He''ll be their #2 guy mantle. Very odd when you consider who Villa already have and Steer''s inexperience.

Mostly I just wanted to make a humorous yet valid contribution to the discussion.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Who says he''s gonna be their #2?

If he is, then he''ll be in for a new contract. Next thing you know ol'' Jed''s a millionaire. HAH!

Did we ever come up with a song for him? In retrospect, maybe something based on a Tears for Steers, like Shout.[/quote]Says this on Villa''s official site [quote]He will also add Norwich City goalkeeper Jed Steer, 20, who becomes a free agent on July 1, to a firmament of four including Brad Guzan, Shay Given and Benji Siegrist."Bringing in Jed will also add to the goalkeeping department and helps with everyone pushing one another, learning from one another and making everyone better and wanting to improve.  "You want competition for places throughout the team, which is something we didn''t have last season." [/quote]Presuming Shay is off, then Jef will be second choice at Villa along with their other young keeper Siegrist.

That''s a mighty big assumption re:Given, and even if that pans out, nowhere in the quote you supplie, Mr. Corbet, does it say he is going to be their number 2 barring unforseen circumstanes.

That''s it from me.

With rudd having singed a new contract, was Jed offered a contract and turned it down or has Hughton decided he doesn''t want to offer him one in which case has he got another keeper ready to sign as rudd has gone onloan can we call him back or will we use the keeper we got from luton or remi Matthews as 3rd choice

Sad to see a good young prospect move on but Ruddy will be Number 1 here for the foreseeable whilst Declan Rudd is also highly rated (Eng U21s) & currently ahead of Steer in the pecking order.

Bunn is a good Number 2 with Rudd out on loan learning his trade & fairly young as well.

I wish a local lad well but really hope Rudd can push on prove himself as the better prospect.

I''m not sure this is that big a deal. We have 3 good keepers ahead of him. i don;t blame him for not signing a new contract when its clear he aint getting a game for the first team in the proper match in the near future. He probably refused to sign a contract and has looked at his options. He may or may not have been tapped up by Lambert but i''m really not bothered as for premier league clubs you can always find a decent keeper if you need one and we still have 3 with the young lad recently signed from Luton supposedly also being very good.

Its just the way it works with young goalkeepers because there can only ever be one goalkeeper in the team so their opportunities to break through are far more limited.

I would also say that if ruddy got injured I would be fine with Bunn or Rudd playing for a period of time, particularly the latter who i thought looked really good when he played last season. I''m not yet sure I feel the same about Steer but in fairness i''ve not seen him play for 18 months.