Sign in to follow this  
Buzz Killington

Jed Steer off to Villa

Apparently. I''d be gutted. We worked hard to keep him when chelsea wanted him a few seasons back. Lambert signing our best young prospect. Kind of saw that coming.

If so, for a substantial fee, I should hope!

Behind Ruddy, Bunny and Rudd... Steer possibly see''s himself having a long wait for any chance at Norwich. I highly doubt we would let him go to Villa though !Tbh at his age hes better off seeking a season or two in the championship on loan.

I''d love to see him progress here. I know it was only one game but he had a stormer against West Brom in the cup during 11/12 season and showed he could go on to big things.

I would be very disappointed, especially to Villa and their "illegal" approach to Lambert in 2012. But more because I always felt he was a better keeper in prospect than Rudd. I wonder who made the decision, if it is all true?

The only source seems to be someone on twitter said it.

Not even an ''ITK'' account. just some random bloke.

Must be true then......

All the Villa lot are talking about it. Think its a done deal.

I know he''s go excellent potential. But if we can hang on to Ruddy then we''ve got a keeper for the next ten years.

Who really see''s Steer coming into the first team with Ruddy still at the club? If we get a million or so for him then that''s a million we can put towards Van Ginkel or Toivonen.

[quote user="Nicko"]All the Villa lot are talking about it. Think its a done deal.

I know he''s go excellent potential. But if we can hang on to Ruddy then we''ve got a keeper for the next ten years.

Who really see''s Steer coming into the first team with Ruddy still at the club? If we get a million or so for him then that''s a million we can put towards Van Ginkel or Toivonen.[/quote]No, it just means their fans listen to the same daft ar$e rumours our fans listen to!

We have invested a lot in these two young goalkeepers, including time, faith and the employment of a top coach to aid their development.

Lambert will know this and senses an opportunity to advantage himself at our Club''s expense.

This, however, is the way that it works. Nevertheless I hope that we do as much as is possible to hang onto this youngster and guide his  development with appropriate resort to the loan system or otherwise.

If he is lured away, then let''s make damn sure that Villa pay the maximum compensation ..... this time.

I won''t be losing any sleep over it (not that there''s necessarily any truth in it).

I''m sure the lad is decent but he isn''t going to get past or be better than Ruddy anytime soon, if ever. So if someone wants to give us some money for him or give him more opportunities then I don''t see the harm in letting him go.

Not sure I got the point across in my last post...

JUST BECAUSE A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE TALKING ABOUT SOMETHING ON THE INTERNET, IT DOESN''T MEAN IT''S GOING TO HAPPEN.

If it does, fair enough. But at the moment it''s all unsubstantiated rumours.

I guess if it''s not official then we can''t talk about it then. Seems fair.

Everyone said it was a disaster when we let Joe Lewis go, saying it was a massive mistake. Now 25, he''s since gone on to be sitting behind David Marshall in the pecking order at Cardiff.So, no real change then, just a different club. I think that deal worked out OK for us. In hindsight, it was probably the only decent thing Roeder did.

[quote user="Nicko"]I guess if it''s not official then we can''t talk about it then. Seems fair.[/quote]
Talk about the possibility - yes. 
Claiming it''s a done deal  - ridiculous.

I see someone has already started another thread about this, but feel it was worth reminding some of you that I posted this. What with this, and the first 2 fixtures early, I''ll soon be known as a reliable source! Maybe a little less animosity every time I post what I''ve heard? I doubt it.

[quote user="Buzz Killington"]I see someone has already started another thread about this, but feel it was worth reminding some of you that I posted this. What with this, and the first 2 fixtures early, I''ll soon be known as a reliable source! Maybe a little less animosity every time I post what I''ve heard? I doubt it.[/quote]Sorry I should have used the search function but didn''t see anything about it on the front page so presumed it was a story completely out of the blue !

Looks like Declan Rudd is being earmarked for the future no.2 role. A season at Preston will do him the world of good.

It would be hard realistically to keep Rudd and Steer both happy and Lambert did have a lot of faith in Steer so good luck to him!

As a fellow Norfolk born Diss boy though i''m glad Declan is the one still with us.

I think we would be a lot calmer about Lambert signing our backroom staff and players if we had made a few signings ourselves!

[quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="Buzz Killington"]I see someone has already started another thread about this, but feel it was worth reminding some of you that I posted this. What with this, and the first 2 fixtures early, I''ll soon be known as a reliable source! Maybe a little less animosity every time I post what I''ve heard? I doubt it.[/quote]Sorry I should have used the search function but didn''t see anything about it on the front page so presumed it was a story completely out of the blue ![/quote]

No need to apologise Sir. I couldn''t give a monkeys. Just nice to remind some of those who like to give you a hard time for sharing genuine info, that it was exactly that, genuine.

Rather a surprise - out of the blue. But it does signal the direction the club are going in.No sentimentality. If the club doesn''t think they are up to it then move on.Big shame. local lad and all that but hey hoBring on the next one ...

I have no idea, but Steer was supposed by people who had seen them both to be a better prospect than Rudd. It also means that we will need another goalie in the 25-man squad. If Steer had stayed he could have the number three without counting, being under 21.

The tribunal (which is what it will come down to I am sure) will confirm what has happened here. Is it that we offered him something and he kept rejecting to go on a free (or to tribunal) to join up with Villa. Or we didn''t offer him anything so he just went.

If he goes then it''s on a free transfer but as he under 24 Villa will have to pay us because of a tribunal, how much do you think we would get for him

I said back in January that both Rudd and Steer were out of contract come the summer.

Rudd is 21 and Steer is 20.

Ruddy is 26 and Bunn is 28. The reality is that it would take Ruddy moving on in the next couple of years before any of those behind him got a real shot at the goalkeepers slot.

Due to their age both Rudd and Steer will want to be getting a shot at something soon and that is understandable.

I sort of wonder if there was any sort of tapping up going on. Had the club been in talks with Steer and for how long? Unlike players over 24, Steer would not have been free to talk to other clubs (so far as my understanding goes) so this seems a little odd to me.

But I wouldn''t hold it against him. He wants a career and at Villa, due to their keepers not being as good as ours, he has more of a chance to break through.

It''s annoying only because of where he is going. If it was to Southampton or Cardiff etc I think people wouldn''t be so shocked.

Good luck to the lad, he has some very good qualities and I hope he is able to push through and make it as a top keeper.